Full timers Insurance Issue/COMPLAINT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animalangel1

I found an old topic on this forum called "A warning about full time insurance" but since there were no new posts made to it within the last 120 days, I was prompted to start a new topic. So, here I am.

I just want to give a heads up to anyone looking for full timer's insurance with Progressive. I found them when I first got my travel trailer (Sept 2014) and very specifically informed them I needed full timers insurance. Sure..no problem. Gave me a policy, I paid for it and tra la la I'm covered.

In reviewing the coverage for the second year beginning Sept 2015, I noticed the policy did not say anything about full timers coverage, which again, I specified I needed right from the beginning. They were quick to rectify the issue, I paid the extra $30 and then I actually had full timers coverage.

Back in July (2016) I get a notice of non-renewal because I am living in my RV full time. WHAT? Ya, I know I'm living in it full time, I'm paying for full timers coverage. What's the problem? I got on the phone and from July to well... just a few weeks ago, I've called them repeatedly and been told on every single call that I DO qualify for renewal, "they" were sending the underwriters that information and I would be seeing my new renewal policy information in a few days. Hmm... well, my policy expired on Sept 8, 2016 (2 days ago).

Now I am in search of a new insurance company and I'm pissed. Progressive sucks. Just wanted to put that out there. Thanks for listening.  :mad:

there may be some legal insurance issues with the 'Full timing'  term .....

as I hear it....... no motorhome or any type of RV is approved by our government to be used as a Full Time residence.

so technically,  it may be illegal to insure someone to live in an RV 'Full Time'..

that being said...there is an insurance company named Foremost that will issue you a 'Full Time' policy.

I've used Foremost for FT insurance for the past 6 years. It's much more about contents and extended liability, like homeowners insurance, than auto insurance. It's also much more expensive. I also have "agreed value" coverage.

Since there is no insurance industry standard meaning for "fulltimer insurance", you need to be a more informed buyer. You didn't say what you were expecting for coverage, but as a fulltimer you should consider at least three things:

1.Personal liability coverage (injury or damages [other than by a vehicle] for which you could be held responsible

2.Unlimited vs limited RV usage time (number of days/year in the RV)

3. Increased Personal Effects coverage (covers your personal possessions that are carried in the RV)

Insurers, or the agent,  may bundle other optional coverages into a "fulltimer" package as well. You may or may not actually need those things. They may use terms like "campsite liability", which may be very limited in what is covers even though it is fairly expensive.

As an example, at National Interstate (a major RV insurer), adding "fulltimer" to your policy increases coverage from 150 nights/year to 365 nights/year, but nothing else. Personal Effects are covered up to $2k in their base policy, but you can buy additional coverage with or without "fulltime".  As far as I know, they don't offer any non-vehicle liability coverage, but I haven't specifically asked them about that.

Howdy and welcome animalangel1!

As you have found, this seems to be a complicated scenario for some of the insurance companies.  I did the research several years ago and decided to go with National Interstate (as Gary mentioned) as they seemed to fully understand the concept of "full timer."  Having line items on the policy such as "Full-Timer's Personal Liability" and "Personal Effects" underscores that point.  I am not a big fan of paying insurance premiums but if I am going to do so, I'd like to have some confidence that the company understands my scenario and is going to cover my claim when it comes (I've not had one yet).

I went thru Explorer Insurance Agency as they agreed to do all the paperwork electronically (versus mail) which is important to me.

Not sure if any of the helps though....  :-\

Tony is right about the legal complications and it's the reason that some insurers decline to issue policies to fulltime RV users. It is not illegal to use an RV fulltime, nor is it illegal to insure someone who does, but it is illegal to sell an RV as a residence for living.  It's a very gray area legally, and insurers are worried that a court could determine they have liabilities beyond what they anticipated, or that a federal agency could hold them responsible for the residential intent if somebody just parks their RV and uses it like a park model (no travel at all).

as is the case with AAA insurance,

we have a AAA road service policy for our motorhome if it needs towing,  and they will insure RV's,  but AAA may deny coverage if they find out you are full-timing in it.

( my know-it-all wife was an insurance underwriter many years ago, she still reads every friggen word in an insurance policy..... )

So..........when you first received your Policy you did not  review the coverage on the Policy, and now you are "pissed", seems to me you need to go look in a mirror to find someone to be pissed at. I always go through an Agent, that way you get a more "personalized service", it may cost more but you probably won't  have gone over a year with the insurance you "thought" you had.

Few people ever read the pages & pages of clauses in an insurance policy, and often don't even know what questions to ask of an agent, so it's fairly common to get surprised likethis. If you call an agent or fill out an online form and just say "I need insurance", you can't expect to get well-tailored coverage.

If your policy was rated as recreational use (less expensive) and then Progressive determines you are living in the RV full time they will cancel the policy. That happened to us when I Retired but they issued a new " Fulltiming" policy although the price did go up.

Every insurance Co. I have dealt with has a division of the company called "errors and omissions" This division has to deal with anything an agent writes up wrong or omits or misrepresents  in a policy. They are very cautious about that.>>>Dan

Wouldn't it be a shock if you took over a year long RV vacation, had an accident ......

and found out the insurance company could legally deny the claim based on full time usage ?

(don't you hate attorneys  :eek: )

Wouldn't it be a shock if you took over a year long RV vacation, had an accident ......

and found out the insurance company could legally deny the claim based on full time usage ?

Indeed! However, this fear is often vastly overstated on RV blogs/forums. In the USA at least, this need not be a concern as long as (a) you did not make a fraudulent statement on your applications, and (b) were not committing a felony crime when the loss occurred. So, as long as you did not lie if asked whether you use it fulltime (or similar wording), you needn't worry about collision or comp losses being denied.

What could happen, though, is that a visitor gets injured on your campsite and you are responsible for medical care. Then you find that the extra personal liability coverage you thought you had does not exist.

Back
Top Bottom