Which TT is a better fit for our TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henkelphoto

Not getting any hits in the newcomers section so I am moving this here:

Hi guys!

I've got my eye on one of these two trailers:

Keystone Springdale 179qbwe--GVWR--6000 tongue weight 530
Keystone Hideout 177lhs--GVWR--4500 tongue weight 460

Here's my tv--2016 Ram 1500 regular cab 6 1/2' bed (120" wheelbase) Payload 1595 (yellow sticker)/tow cap 9100

So the 179qbwe is a two-axle trailer while the 177lhs is a single axle. They are both about the same length--21-23 feet.

Obviously either would require a wdh with sway bar, but I'm wondering if one or the other might be easier to handle on the road.

Any thoughts?

Forget those brochure hitch weights and assume the actual hitch (tongue) weight is 10% of GVWR. Then calculate that plus passengers and gear vs the truck payload.
Here is a planner/estimator that may help:
http://towingplanner.com/Calculators/TowingPayloadEstimate

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the info. I know that my truck is capable of towing either one, what I'm interested in is whether the lighter weight/one axle trailer will tow better (more comfortably) than the heavier weight/two axle trailer or vice versa.

You obviously know the normal response to add weight of all passengers........  Note Gary's comment on tongue wt.
I honor you for providing TT  GVWR instead of dry weights AND yellow label number.  THANK YOU.

Unless you are carrying 4 Sumo Wrestlers, you are great on weights (you knew that).

With either TT you have plenty of truck.  I cannot really speak to one axle or two.  That is rarely a deciding factor on which TT to buy.

Which FLOOR PLAN does your family prefer?  This is much more important than how many axles the TT has.

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your input. As for my family (just me and my wife) I like the Springdale better as it has a larger fridge and an oven (I do the cooking), my wife likes the Hideout better as it has a u-shaped dinette. Bottom line is when momma's happy, everyone is happy, so we will probably go with the Hideout!

It depends on what fits you best as a family.. After owning many types of trailers, Snowmobile, Boat, Camper etc... I have felt that the tandem axle is the choice over a single axle... In most cases if you have a problem the tandem will allow you to at least limp off the road at a reduced speed to a safe place to change a tire, make a repair etc...  Yes it does add some expense because of the extra axle, tires and wheels.  I just feel that the added security of the additional axle is worth it... Think about this when making your purchase.

Single vs double axle would be so far down on my list of decisive factors that it would probably never come to light.  And I find it hard to believe those two trailers are anywhere near identical, given the 1500 lb max weight difference. I would decide between those two based on other factors.

4500 lbs is about the upper limit for a single axle trailer anyway, so I would say that in itself is a slight negative. I lean toward equipment that is overbuilt for the job rather than just marginal.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I lean toward equipment that is overbuilt for the job rather than just marginal.

x2.

And a Single axel TT tends to "Hop" over the roadway Humps & Bumps.. A Tandem axel TT tends to "Crawl" over them, to a degree.

In light of the above, the cargo tends to stay in place much better with a Tandem Axel TT (?).

Joe

Depends on what kind of camping your planing on doing..... If you plan of a lot of boondoggle. You going to want a duel axil camper with bigger holding tank and load capacity. For ester and battery's....... If your only going to campground with full hook up. I then go with the light camper

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom