2002 Forest River Salem LE 30A plug to 40A?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gr8tylor

I have a 30A breaker that pops when the ac & microwave are on together.  I was curious if I could use a 30 to 40 adapter plug (I'd assume not since it's going to try to push too much through that wire and create a fire hazard... would I have to replace the Guage of wiring to the inverter panel, fuses?  I'm living in a RV park full time for work in the military.  Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what this "30 to 40 adapter" is or where it would go, but it isn't going to alter the existing 30A breaker, so that will still trip. And yes, the reason the breaker is 30A is that is the max some portion of the wiring can handle.

If this breaker is in an inverter, it is likely the internals of the inverter that are limited to 30A.

What is the inverter panel? It's not normal for the air conditioning to be wired via an inverter.

He probably means converter.  I'm assuming it's the main breaker in the distribution panel tripping. It's a 2002 RV, and that breaker has probably tripped many times over it's life and has got weak. Try putting in a new breaker and see if that helps.

Yes I meant converter, so it's probably just worn out over time you think?  Should I buy one with a 40A connection?  Thank you soo much for help, I'm new to rvs full time

The converter probably doesn't have anything with tripping the breaker in your situation. The best thing to do is get the 40 amp stuff out of your head. Start with the simple stuff. New breaker is less than $10 and takes five minutes to replace.

Allow me to try to clarify a few things.

Most RV power in campgrounds come as 20Amp, 120V,    30 Amp, 120V and    50 Amp, 240V.  I have no idea where this 40 amp comes from.

All TT, FW and MH come in one of the three power configurations mentioned above.

Providing 50A power to a 30A camper will NOT provide any more power.  The camper is only capable of using 30A, and has a main breaker to prevent any more power being used in the camper.  Over time, this main 30A breaker may get weak, as mentioned, and need replaced.  If this is the breaker that is tripping, replacement is a very good idea!

The CONVERTER takes a small amount of this 120V  power and converts it to 12V to charge the house batteries and help run 12V systems.

An INVERTER takes battery 12V power ind inverts it to 120VAC. It is only used when shore or generator power is not available.  It is rarely capable of running an A/C or microwave for more than a minute before exhausting the battery.

OK. That makes a lot more sense, I just thought the next one was a 40A, 50A makes sense being 240V though.  I was thinking if I bought a converter pnl with a 50A plug/wiring but sounds like these are specifically designed for 30A 120V or 50A 240V.  I'm going to buy the breaker and replace it though, maybe it's just worn out and can't handle the load it once used to.  I really appreciate all of your help and will post after I replace it what happens!

It might also be that you have electric hot water , A/C and microwave all running at the same time it would be too much for a 30a breaker too. Try turning 1 off.
But replacing it is still a good idea it's probably 14 years old and they weaken the more times it's tripped.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I bought a 30A to 50A plug so I'm still drawing 30A but using the 50A receptacle.  It has not tripped but I replaced the internal circuit breaker anyway for good measure.  Just wanted to update ya'll

Back
Top Bottom