EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Looking for help setting up my GoPro  (Read 1018 times)

jsetti

• ---
  • Tranquility On the Move IV
Looking for help setting up my GoPro
« on: September 11, 2016, 01:27:32 PM »
I have a GoPro Hero3+ Black.  I want to video while we are driving from one location to another. Then, at the end of the day, I want to review what is on the camera and only save the portion of the video or snapshots of scenery that I think are worthwhile.  I have a 64 GB card installed.  It sounded like a good idea when I bought the camera! 

I am NOT a very technical person so I am looking for assistance setting up the camera.  I have the manual so I know how to scroll through all of the settings but I don't really know what the settings mean.  I'm not trying to make an Indy Film, just want some memories.

1080S - 30 Wide?  What???

I want it to start recording when I turn it on and stop recording when I turn it off 6 hours later.  I want to fast forward through what I have recorded without copying it all to my computer so I can delete what I don't want.

Please HELP!!
Jean Corsetti
Full-Timer with DH Steve and
Fur Babies Annie & Max
2010 Monaco Diplomat 42SKQ

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Looking for help setting up my GoPro
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 08:28:28 PM »
I have a GoPro Hero3+ Black.  I want to video while we are driving from one location to another. Then, at the end of the day, I want to review what is on the camera and only save the portion of the video or snapshots of scenery that I think are worthwhile.  I have a 64 GB card installed.  It sounded like a good idea when I bought the camera! 

I am NOT a very technical person so I am looking for assistance setting up the camera.  I have the manual so I know how to scroll through all of the settings but I don't really know what the settings mean.  I'm not trying to make an Indy Film, just want some memories.

I want it to start recording when I turn it on and stop recording when I turn it off 6 hours later.  I want to fast forward through what I have recorded without copying it all to my computer so I can delete what I don't want.

Please HELP!!
I don't use Gopro so I can't help. Sounds like you would be better off with a dashcam.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 08:54:40 PM »

1080 is a reference to 1920x1080 resolution, or High Def video. 30 is frames (or still pictures) per second like 20th century TV. Wide means a wide view like 16:9 screen ratio, rather than the 4:3 almost square that was normal TV in the 20th century.

Like Tom, I don't have a GoPro, either (they're too expensive for what you get, IMHO), and I'd agree with Tom that a simpler camera such as a dashcam might be a better bet for your purpose.

That being said, a GoPro does take very good video, and if you take some time and effort to learn to use it (get help from friends that know the system, or be prepared to read a lot and experiment a lot) you can get some excellent results. Perhaps someone who has GoPro experience can help you more, though.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Randy328

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 10:20:10 PM »
Been using one for years to film on the track.

I set mine at 720 resolution, 60fps. Still shots and video quite nice at that resolution/frames.  A 20 minute file is about 2 GB, so a 64 GB card should last you about 10 hours. You want to start/stop it every hour or the file will be so huge your computer can't play it. I would get a card reader if your computer doesn't have one built in instead of trying to connect to the camera direct with a USB.
2015 Ford F250
2016 KZ MXT2920
Bunch of motorcycles
German Shepherd "Qorkey"

dcbinvt

• ---
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 07:23:57 PM »
Go to Go-Pro website, download manual.

dcb

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 08:23:13 PM »
Go to Go-Pro website, download manual.

dcb

He said, "I have the manual so I know how to scroll through all of the settings but I don't really know what the settings mean."
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 11:06:59 PM »
Get a dash camera - that is what they are designed to do.  JMHO.

The GoPro's are such a wide view it makes everything very small in the videos.
Also most GoPro batteries are not going to give you 6 hours of use.  Yes you could hook up to power
but I'm not sure if it will turn on and off when power is supplied.  Whereas a dash camera is designed to do that.

I know you are thinking that since you have a GoPro you want to use it.  But it was NOT designed as a dash camera
and from what you stated that is what you want to use it for.

Good dash cameras are not too expensive.

2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

henkelphoto

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 11:13:42 PM »
I don't think the battery will last anywhere near long enough. You should probably get a couple or three extra batteries to switch out.
Dodge Ram 1500
Keystone Hideout 177lhs

wan-der-lust

• ---
  • Robert, Gail, and our four-legged companion, Terra
    • wan-der-lust VLOG
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »
I have a GoPro Hero3+ Black.  I want to video while we are driving from one location to another.

Check out this Youtube video:

How I set up my GoPro 3 as a dash cam
wanderlust |ˈwändərˌləst| noun
a strong desire to wander or travel the world.
Our YouTube VLOG  &  Instagram

Hosted by Over The Network