Looking for help setting up my GoPro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsetti

I have a GoPro Hero3+ Black.  I want to video while we are driving from one location to another. Then, at the end of the day, I want to review what is on the camera and only save the portion of the video or snapshots of scenery that I think are worthwhile.  I have a 64 GB card installed.  It sounded like a good idea when I bought the camera! 

I am NOT a very technical person so I am looking for assistance setting up the camera.  I have the manual so I know how to scroll through all of the settings but I don't really know what the settings mean.  I'm not trying to make an Indy Film, just want some memories.

1080S - 30 Wide?  What???

I want it to start recording when I turn it on and stop recording when I turn it off 6 hours later.  I want to fast forward through what I have recorded without copying it all to my computer so I can delete what I don't want.

Please HELP!!

jsetti said:
I have a GoPro Hero3+ Black.  I want to video while we are driving from one location to another. Then, at the end of the day, I want to review what is on the camera and only save the portion of the video or snapshots of scenery that I think are worthwhile.  I have a 64 GB card installed.  It sounded like a good idea when I bought the camera! 

I am NOT a very technical person so I am looking for assistance setting up the camera.  I have the manual so I know how to scroll through all of the settings but I don't really know what the settings mean.  I'm not trying to make an Indy Film, just want some memories.

I want it to start recording when I turn it on and stop recording when I turn it off 6 hours later.  I want to fast forward through what I have recorded without copying it all to my computer so I can delete what I don't want.

Please HELP!!
I don't use Gopro so I can't help. Sounds like you would be better off with a dashcam.

1080 is a reference to 1920x1080 resolution, or High Def video. 30 is frames (or still pictures) per second like 20th century TV. Wide means a wide view like 16:9 screen ratio, rather than the 4:3 almost square that was normal TV in the 20th century.

Like Tom, I don't have a GoPro, either (they're too expensive for what you get, IMHO), and I'd agree with Tom that a simpler camera such as a dashcam might be a better bet for your purpose.

That being said, a GoPro does take very good video, and if you take some time and effort to learn to use it (get help from friends that know the system, or be prepared to read a lot and experiment a lot) you can get some excellent results. Perhaps someone who has GoPro experience can help you more, though.

Been using one for years to film on the track.

I set mine at 720 resolution, 60fps. Still shots and video quite nice at that resolution/frames.  A 20 minute file is about 2 GB, so a 64 GB card should last you about 10 hours. You want to start/stop it every hour or the file will be so huge your computer can't play it. I would get a card reader if your computer doesn't have one built in instead of trying to connect to the camera direct with a USB.

Get a dash camera - that is what they are designed to do.  JMHO.

The GoPro's are such a wide view it makes everything very small in the videos.
Also most GoPro batteries are not going to give you 6 hours of use.  Yes you could hook up to power
but I'm not sure if it will turn on and off when power is supplied.  Whereas a dash camera is designed to do that.

I know you are thinking that since you have a GoPro you want to use it.  But it was NOT designed as a dash camera
and from what you stated that is what you want to use it for.

Good dash cameras are not too expensive.

I don't think the battery will last anywhere near long enough. You should probably get a couple or three extra batteries to switch out.

Back
Top Bottom