Flat tow 2016 Nissan Frontier 4wd manual transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bartrak

I bought a 2016 Nissan Frontier for the purpose of towing behind my class c, but Nissan says you can't flat tow the Frontier on one page of the owners manual and then gives towing instruction on the next page. Has anybody else experienced this ?

Towable as is with speed and/or distance restrictions. Please see Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures.
Idle the engine in "neutral" for several minutes after every 500 miles of towing to circulate the fluids.
Follow prescribed towing procedures outlined in your Owner's Manual.
The transfer lever must be placed in 2HI.

This is the same info on page 9-37 of the owners manual. In my communications with them they still don't recommend flat towing the Frontier. So I am still searching for the answer. I traded for this vehicle as per the procedure in their owners manual but can't get a commitment from them that it is safe to tow.

My Tacoma manual is similar. It says not to flat tow but gives instruction to tow for a short distance, probably in an emergency. Here's what I did. I jacked up the back tires off the ground and spun the wheels. The drive shaft turned even though it was in neutral, manual tranny. Then lifted the front end, turned the front wheels, front driveshaft did not spin. So I had a rear driveline disconnect installed and leave the transfer case in 2H. 3,000 tow miles and no issues.

I was in the same boat when I bought the Tacoma. I walked into the service dept before I bought it and they told me the manual was four down towable without any modifications. After I bought the truck I read the manual and lots of internet posts. I was determined to tow it either 4 down or with a trailer because I wanted a Tacoma regardless. I knew there was a way to make it work.

Thanks Greg
I sent a note to Remco and they confirm as long as I follow the instruction in manual.

Just got a conformation from Nissan that you can flat tow a 2016 Frontier 4wd with a manual transmission. Just follow the instruction in the owners manual. I am a happier camper now, thought I was going to have to buy a trailer tow haul it on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom