Affordable Verizon network data plan to complement AT&T network account?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boredcoder

I've got a pretty good plan with Cricket wireless which utilizes the AT&T cellular network, $55 for phone, text, and 20gb of data (an introductory offer that has been phased out), but I could use some sort of plan (and phone) that can use Verizon's network as a backup in places where AT&T coverage is weak and Verizon isn't.

Any suggestions for affordable data plans that use Verizon's network?  For that matter, any suggestions for inexpensive Verizon-compatible phones that either do tethering or hotspot well?

Thanks!

Hi,

Here's a good writeup I read a few months ago:
http://www.androidauthority.com/best-prepaid-plans-132352/

From that article, it seems the best Verizon MVNOs are Page Plus (which is Verizon-only) and Straight Talk (which the operates with Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile, according to Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TracFone_Wireless#Straight_Talk).

No direct experience with either, but our personal plan is to have a Cricket main phone, with Straight Talk as a backup.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

VallAndMo said:
Hi,

Here's a good writeup I read a few months ago:
http://www.androidauthority.com/best-prepaid-plans-132352/

From that article, it seems the best Verizon MVNOs are Page Plus (which is Verizon-only) and Straight Talk (which the operates with Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile, according to Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TracFone_Wireless#Straight_Talk).

No direct experience with either, but our personal plan is to have a Cricket main phone, with Straight Talk as a backup.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.
Thank you, it's a pretty good summary of a bunch of plans.  Surprised to see 'unlimited data' making a comeback, thought it was gone forever after the original unlimited plans went grandfathered-only.  Prices aren't even that bad, 60-70 bucks for a few of em.

There is Unlimited data and there is "Unlimited Data"
The old original Unlimited data plans were just that
The new "unlimnited Data" plans simply mean if you "Go over" they do not Cha-Chinga you HOWEVER
They may prohibit teathering (That's a limit on how you use the Data) Verizon got sued for saying "No teathering" and lost but they still say "No teathering" in the contract now days (Of course Verizon ADDED that after you'd signed up)

And many plans though there is no limt on how much data you can eat, ONLY XX amount is "high speed" like my plan

10 Gigs of high speed, plus whatever I have left over from last months up to 20 more Gig, then I get throttled and grass grows faster than data flows. (ok, it deops down "Edge" on my T-mobile plan)

Last time I hit the roof was when my wife died. I went over by 0.1 Gig as I recall.  Never really noticed the slow down.

I looked at Page Plus because they use the Verizon network. Their 69.95 plan in "unlimited data", really 7GB of 4G, then down graded to 2G.
BUT when you read the fine print in the Terms of Service you'll find that tethering (hotspots, etc) are excluded. I found no option to add Hotspot to the plan.

On Cricket same limitation, except I did look and you can add Hotspot for a fee of $10.mo on all plan EXCEPT unlimited data.

I currently have a 20GB Jetpack 4G/LTE plan on Verizon at $100/mo, and a 3G only Jetpack unlimited data plan on Verizon from Mobile Solutions at $5/mo as a backup. I also have a Mobile Solutions provided T-Mobile unlimited data 4G/LTE hotspot plan at $35/mo, and just started testing their new $60/mo AT&T unlimited 4G/LTE data hotspot plan. One way or another, I will have Internet service on the road...  ;D

NY_Dutch said:
I currently have a 20GB Jetpack 4G/LTE plan on Verizon at $100/mo, and a 3G only Jetpack unlimited data plan on Verizon from Mobile Solutions at $5/mo as a backup. I also have a Mobile Solutions provided T-Mobile unlimited data 4G/LTE hotspot plan at $35/mo, and just started testing their new $60/mo AT&T unlimited 4G/LTE data hotspot plan. One way or another, I will have Internet service on the road...  ;D
I also purchased a JetPack from Mobile Solutions (which is a one man show owned by Travis). My experience has been mixed. The JetPack worked great for 6 weeks then it acted like my service had ended.  Travis was cooperative and agreed to fix the problem if I sent it in. He turned it around promptly but still I had no internet access. On Sep 1 he agreed to send a replacement and I would return the bad one. He had a special for a USB modem that I ordered at the same time. I didn't hear anything from him for three weeks. He ignored my emails and text messages. He finally replied to my text when I threatened to file a dispute with PayPal for the USB modem purchase. Still he did not ship. Twice he assured me it was on the way. I finally filed a dispute with PayPal and was reimbursed for the modem. I don't know what will happen to my JetPack. Travis insisted that I send it in and he would then fix it. I doubt that I will ever see it again.

I subsequently have purchase another JetPack from DR Wireless. I hope things go better with this one.

Tom_M said:
I also purchased a JetPack from Mobile Solutions (which is a one man show owned by Travis). My experience has been mixed. The JetPack worked great for 6 weeks then it acted like my service had ended.  Travis was cooperative and agreed to fix the problem if I sent it in. He turned it around promptly but still I had no internet access. On Sep 1 he agreed to send a replacement and I would return the bad one. He had a special for a USB modem that I ordered at the same time. I didn't hear anything from him for three weeks. He ignored my emails and text messages. He finally replied to my text when I threatened to file a dispute with PayPal for the USB modem purchase. Still he did not ship. Twice he assured me it was on the way. I finally filed a dispute with PayPal and was reimbursed for the modem. I don't know what will happen to my JetPack. Travis insisted that I send it in and he would then fix it. I doubt that I will ever see it again.

I subsequently have purchase another JetPack from DR Wireless. I hope things go better with this one.

I know Travis has been playing "catch-up" with a heavy influx of orders for his Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile based unlimited data plans and devices, and has added another person to help him get it done. Hopefully, things will smooth out down the line. I ordered an unlimited 4G/LTE data AT&T hotspot early this week, and it arrived in today's mail. $69/mo for truly unlimited 4G/LTE data is worth waiting in my view!  ;D

Update on my Mobile Solutions fiasco. I have not had a response from Travis since Oct 26. On Nov 15 I filed a dispute with PayPal in hopes of receiving a refund. My Jetpack that I purchased from DR Wireless is still working good. I did the $5 refill on Nov 13 and that went without issue.

We have Verizon (30 GB) and AT&T (10 GB) mifis with our two smart phones on Verizon and my work smart phone on AT&T.  I get 15% discounts with both providers and that helps.  They serve as home and camping Internet and we are happy.

Tom_M said:
Update on my Mobile Solutions fiasco. I have not had a response from Travis since Oct 26. On Nov 15 I filed a dispute with PayPal in hopes of receiving a refund. My Jetpack that I purchased from DR Wireless is still working good. I did the $5 refill on Nov 13 and that went without issue.

My Mobile Solutions flashed 3G Jetpack is still working fine, and I've got two $5 PIN's on hand from another source that I'll see how well they work when my current access nears term late next month. Verizon says I have a $10 credit on that account, so I don't know what's up with that. My $69/mo AT&T unlimited 4G/LTE plan from Mobile Solutions also continues to work well. The invoice for that service came today and I paid it a few minutes ago.

I got an email ad from Mobile Solutions yesterday. I followed the link to one of the items and noticed that the only choices for payment are Amazon Payment or Money Order. There is no longer a PayPal option. Perhaps PayPal has cut off his service.

On Nov 26 I received an email from PayPal saying they had resolved my dispute in my favor and refunded $129.99 even though I had asked for $97. PayPal had sent three emails to Travis and he did not respond to any of them. If the seller does not respond within 10 days, PayPal resolves the dispute automatically in favor of the buyer.

I refilled my 3g Verizon plan today using a $5 PIN. My renew date was Dec 14 but decided to do it early just to see what happens. My renew date went from Dec 14 to Jan 9. My balance went from $10 to zero. It looks like once your payments hit the $15 mark, your balance resets to zero. Also, it appears it's best to wait until the end date to renew. I did my previous renewal one day before the end date just to make sure.

On a disturbing note, a new message has appeared:
"As of December 29 My Verizon services will no longer be accessible for your device".
It also states that to manage your service, use your computer to access your account or manage it directly from your device.

I don't know if this applies to my account only or if it applies to the whole system. It looks like my $5 unlimited service is about to end.

I have a 3G phone that was $99 and a monthly plan with 3gigs data for $45 from Verizon.  They just offered me and gig for $5 a month and will carry over data for 1 month and then it starts all over again.  I really never use a lot of data tho so stayed with my original plan. 

Tom_M said:
I refilled my 3g Verizon plan today using a $5 PIN. My renew date was Dec 14 but decided to do it early just to see what happens. My renew date went from Dec 14 to Jan 9. My balance went from $10 to zero. It looks like once your payments hit the $15 mark, your balance resets to zero. Also, it appears it's best to wait until the end date to renew. I did my previous renewal one day before the end date just to make sure.

On a disturbing note, a new message has appeared:
"As of December 29 My Verizon services will no longer be accessible for your device".
It also states that to manage your service, use your computer to access your account or manage it directly from your device.

I don't know if this applies to my account only or if it applies to the whole system. It looks like my $5 unlimited service is about to end.

I saw nothing on the MyVerizon site to indicate any upcoming site shutdown, nor was there any notice when I logged into my Verizon 4G/LTE Jetpack account there. I don't have my flashed 3G Jetpack registered there. I suspect the notice you heard affects specific devices only.

NY_Dutch said:
My Mobile Solutions flashed 3G Jetpack is still working fine, and I've got two $5 PIN's on hand from another source that I'll see how well they work when my current access nears term late next month. Verizon says I have a $10 credit on that account, so I don't know what's up with that. My $69/mo AT&T unlimited 4G/LTE plan from Mobile Solutions also continues to work well. The invoice for that service came today and I paid it a few minutes ago.
I think he is Done, website don't work won't answer on Messenger. Got a Renew bill the other day and am afraid to remitt till contract made. Anayone else seen this?

I've pretty much given up on Travis as well. My AT&T/Cricket unlimited 4G/LTE quit working a week or so ago, and I have not received an invoice in some time now, but my flashed 3G Jetpack is still working fine. I did contact Travis by text, and he said he was out of the office due to his mother's death, so I didn't pursue the issue. Yesterday I was advised of a new Rural Telephone & Internet Plan from AT&T by a Facebook contact, and today I signed up for it. It's actually a plan that's been around for awhile with 25 and 50GB limits for $60 and $100 respectively, but the recent change has jumped the data limits up to a whopping 250 and 500GB at the same prices! This is a phone and data plane that does require using AT&T's Home Base router, with a conventional phone set plugged in for phone calls, so it's not perfect for RV'ers, but it is certainly doable within its limits. You can get all the details here:

AT&T's Wireless Home Phone & Internet Rural Plan

Back
Top Bottom