Prepping for Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fyrediver

Just wondering what people have done to prepare for disasters etc.  I've got insurance, a weather radio, some minor emergency repair items, personal clothing and gear, etc but transitioning from sticks and bricks to our motorhome is a challenge for me.  I'll have built in spare water, fuel, power, heat etc but what am I missing?

What repair parts do people keep on hand?  Tools?  Supplies?  Interested in what people have experienced, what worked, what was a waste, or any other advice. 

Not sure what type of disasters you're planning for.
Last year we were in Slidell, LA when the floods came. We simply packed up and moved until the all clear came- The advantage of a motorhome over stick and brick.
Monitor the weather and move if you have to.

Living in Texas through a number of hurricanes the #1 lesson I have learned - carry an excellent set of bolt cutters.

#2- You may have enough fuel tanks, but A-finding fuel may be difficult and B- Carrying that much fuel around can be hazardous on its own.

#3- If you have fuel and bathrooms, people will bring you food.

Disasters come in all forms.  Some can be predicted and some can't not.  Also one person's "disaster" is simply another person's inconvenience. Just reaching out broadly to see what other's experiences have been and what ideas they have.

A big wind storm is one that raised my eyebrows today.  Our motor home is a very large, non-aerodynamic brick.  Not sure what the "best" idea is for weathering heavy winds would be.  Try to take it on the stern instead of broadside I would imagine but that's why I'm looking for ideas.  But if we take damage what improvised repairs are suggested?  What supplies, tools, etc?

One of the reasons we're switching to full timing is that we'll have all our onboard systems of support and it'll be mobile.  It's our home and bug out location all in one. 

Houston Remodeler said:
Living in Texas through a number of hurricanes the #1 lesson I have learned - carry an excellent set of bolt cutters.

#1 bolt cutters?
Why?

I've ridden through the eye of many hurricanes.  Grew up in coastal NC, where it seemed to be a magnet for the things for many years....
I can honestly say I don't recall ever using bolt cutters for prep or clean-up.....
so you have me curious.

My 2 cents - but nothing particular to the RV scenario....I like to keep water and some food on hand.... canned food and the like.  In the RV, backpacking freeze dried stuff might be a better plan.  It could be a period of time....a week or more.... with no power and very little available on the store shelves.

Fyrediver said:
What repair parts do people keep on hand?  Tools?  Supplies?  Interested in what people have experienced, what worked, what was a waste, or any other advice.

Duck tape, plastic sheets/tarp and a case of beer.

Rene, did you keep a spare set of keys to one of the subs so that you can go hide underwater?

Ed

I would say keep RV stocked for a 1 week trip.. Rotate food stuffs in as follows  Store to RV to House to Consumed.
Change water in fresh tank from time to time (Be sure to add a bit of sanitizer)

Keep fuel tanks full

And always remember, The best place to take shelter when the "Stuff" hits the fan..

A SHELTER OUTSIDE THE STORM AREA (the official answer) in other words>>>>> ELSEWHERE

In really bad situations...... survival often depends on communication.

the power to cell phone towers may not be there,  so a C/B or Ham radio is a good thing.

The bolt cutters?

Mostly for cutting through fencing. When the roads are so choked with cars (that never should have been on the road to begin with) and traffic is at a 12 hour standstill, the way to exit the highway is to make your own exit ramp. Fleeing a storm sounds a lot easier than it is unless you have the time to flee early. Three days before Ike hit Houston, it took us 5 hours to make the one hour drive out of Galveston. Many people were trapped on the highways for the duration of the storm.

Houston Remodeler said:
The bolt cutters?

Mostly for cutting through fencing. When the roads are so choked with cars (that never should have been on the road to begin with) and traffic is at a 12 hour standstill, the way to exit the highway is to make your own exit ramp. Fleeing a storm sounds a lot easier than it is unless you have the time to flee early. Three days before Ike hit Houston, it took us 5 hours to make the one hour drive out of Galveston. Many people were trapped on the highways for the duration of the storm.

I'm trying to picture this.
Illegally cutting a freeway fence to get you.. where?
Are exit ramps fenced in your neck of the woods?

Flee early... flee fast. Before you're axle deep in water.

besides....the days of bolt cutters is over ever since they invented the 4" battery powered grinder and cut-off wheels.

From watching The Walking Dead, it appears that a Harley (or loud motorcycle of some sort - in spite of the fact that the zombies are attracted to noise), crossbow, and big knife are all one really needs.

Btw, the zombie apocalypse is the only disaster that seems remotely probable to me.

;D

Pugapooh said:
Why should the cars not be on the road?

I was wondering the same thing. Should everyone just get out of the way so HoustonRemodeler can get through? Unfortunately, I am not amazed.
RichH

edit: fixed redundant quote tags.  LS

there must be a history of a fence cutting in the great state of Texas,

As I remember,  there are still laws on the books about carrying a pair of wire cutters in your pocket.

Back
Top Bottom