Prepping for Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just go over the basics and build from there.
Water
Food
Fuel
build up to solar so you will always have some 'fuel'.
communications - battery power am/fm radio, CB, get a ham radio license and radio.

during the last big hurricanes we also discovered that keeping things concealed was important, if you have to refuel don't do it in front of everyone, they will mug you for gas.  a dairy truck driver got very beaten up by some people who thought he was carrying fuel out of their area, didn't bother to look that the trailer didn't have the fuel placards on it.  People get crazy, sometimes it is best to just mix in and keep moving on.

Duct tape & plastic for basic repairs
a good tube of epoxy for plastics repairs

a few 'trade' items, it is amazing what a gesture of good will can do at the right moments.

and like many have stated - best thing to do is simply get out while the gettin' is good!

The cars that should not be on the road are cars that are not roadworthy. I didn't mean all cars.

I've seen it a few times driving to and from hurricane locations. Cars abandoned all over the road that have broken down for one reason or another. Rarely are the abandoned  cars the well kept, newer models. We've seen clothing strewn everywhere, furniture and other personal possessions blocking lanes, pets running loose.  Makes me shake my head in amazement.

FWIW; the most popular evacuation food is strawberry PopTarts, followed by saltines. (had a buddy who stocked shelves)

TonyDtorch said:
In really bad situations...... survival often depends on communication.

the power to cell phone towers may not be there,  so a C/B or Ham radio is a good thing.
Right on-----B CB RADIO with the Weather Channels is good.  We also have a pair of Walkie Talkies for when we are following in another vehicle or out in the Boonies, etc.

Houston Remodeler said:
FWIW; the most popular evacuation food is strawberry PopTarts, followed by saltines. (had a buddy who stocked shelves)

I'd eat all the PopTarts on the first day,  The only way I'd ever survive is MREs.... They are just bad enough you only eat them when you're actually hungry.

Under my contract, I head to the disasters (or a near by staging area) to provide emergency supplies as determined by CDC and/or FEMA.
My setup also alows for a temporary morgue . The supplies I carry for me is; 10+ days, two generators (one gas, one diesel) and critical spare parts for the reefer unit, the generators and the vehicle.
For communications, I use; cell, CB & Satellite.
With full tanks, I can travel over 2000 miles before empty, less so if reefer is on.
As suggested by other posters, leave the area if possible, full fuel, food and water etc.

Unfortunately,poor people with older cars have no other option in trying to escape.  Any vehicle can break down or run out of gas. 

best thing to do is beat the rush.

Now, now....let's not be too hasty in dismissing a set of bolt cutters, in whatever manner....if it was me, and I was stuck in interminable traffic, and my family's safety depended in exiting the situation, my least concern would be about cutting a hole in a fence. If I had to, and I mean have to, I would cut my way thru White House property to reach safety. I would also use bolt cutters to gain access to gas tanks, and other food stuffs, whatever...and let someone tell me it is against the law.....No, I am not suggesting this course of action for everyone, but a man has to do what a man has to do (or woman). And that is all I have to say about that!!!

We are not preparing for a disaster we don't own an rv yet. We looking to buy. The one thing I can think of that saved us with our truck was fix a flat. If you get more than one flat. you will need fix a flat and an air pump.

The last two people get the wishbone.  The final person gets dessert.

Stainless steel press coffee pot, coffee, propane stove, coffee, full propane bottle (at least a dozen), coffee, peanut M&M's (by the barrel). coffee. I can face a hurricane (and have many over 60 years) as long as I have coffee and peanut M&M's. 

Since my husband is a medic for 26 years and had been through sandy and went down to help right after katrina. Since they train extensively for a chemical emergency's use of mark 1 kits etc ebola and anything else and he has had training at the Baltimore swat training site by the government. Which he would not tell you when he posted. mre's and Water proof matches, something to clean your water Ie berkey or a water straw, candy etc. a chemical book so you can read the hazards on trucks etc. if they are leaking. Some things are heavier than air. Common sense items not The ambulance had two flats during sandy and if Not for a very well prepared since the storm took out two new tires when items were on the road. Two cans later and a pump made the difference for being out of service. Which made the difference. Which when a tree fell on someone who didn't stay inside for a silly item in their car. My husband has a job because people do silly things. like leave a car on the road in the way or better yet not even move for the ambulance etc. Anything we would want or need we either already have or can get really easy. Bunker gear and many other items other items we have. The bolt cutters are good to have for many reasons.  I can give you the list a million miles long. If your planning to bug out you will need to pick and choose what you want. Anything from canned butter to kepeg. Best thing is to be low key and fit in. Have something to protect yourself first and foremost and train with it.A  silly hurricane can get really ugly when there is no water.  It all depends on what you plan for.  Maps for if with markings of important things hospitals, food, gas pipelines and nuclear plants etc. want you may want or need or to steer clear off. Just because a nuclear plant goes into hurricane mode mark your map 50 miles min.Btw  I really hate grey poupon. Bug out bag as some call them but a bag with clothes and essential's should be kept ready for just a simple thing like  a tanker truck with a hazard in the neighborhood that you need to be evacuated with your say two year old in less than two minutes. Those PJ's. snack etc. is the best thing you can have.  For some of us though we like our dessert. ;D This is how our lifestyle is not just in times of disasters. It's kinda like being a boyscout you always need to live prepared as some say. 

Stainless steel press coffee pot, coffee, propane stove, coffee, full propane bottle (at least a dozen), coffee, peanut M&M's (by the barrel). coffee. I can face a hurricane (and have many over 60 years) as long as I have coffee and peanut M&M's.

I wanna be with you during the apocolypse!!  ;D

Have something to protect yourself first and foremost and train with it.A  silly hurricane can get really ugly when there is no water. 

Honestly, I would not want to live in a world where I had to fight to the death over water.

I think Grey Poupon would be the appropriate accoutrement.

Personally, I think a good savory marinade would work better to bring out the flavor of the "ribs"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom