Does a 1989 Winnebago Sunchief w/a Chevy P30 454 require a Catalytic converter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calmur2

Hello: First thank you all for responding.

I live in CA and recently bought a 1989 Winnebago Sunchief w/a Chevy P30 454 V8 - it has no catalytic converters. Before I run it past the smog check I'd like to know if it requires a catalytic converter. If it does the thing has dual exhaust so I'd be looking at two of them or a conversion to a single pipe. So I Googled and Binged it and can't find an answer I trust.

If you live in CA and have a 1989 or newer Chevy P30 Winnebago and it doesn't have one, then maybe that's the answer.

Thank you so much!

I am pretty sure it requires a single exhaust with a single cat. You could swing by a smog shop and have them plug in your VIN to find out for sure, but I'd bet that it does. My guess is someone lopped off from the cats back and welded in a dual exhaust straight from the downpipes. Those are two major no-nos and won't pass smog.

Wow. Conflicting answers.

I did some more research last night and found that some of the models of the P30 were made with dual exhausts and no cats and those appear to be the RV models. Some were made with a fake dual exhaust that ran through a single cat, those appear to have been the "StepVan" models. Then there are some made with dual pipes and dual converters, again those were the "StepVan" model. It also appears that during that year model things changed mid-year.

So I'm going to take "TheSameGuy's" advice and have a smog shop run the VIN to see.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom