12 volt TVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenvb

what do you dry campers have for 12 volt TV.  we dont watch much except for rainy days. and 90 % of time in non powered campgrounds due to high cost .  i took my 21 inch TV w DVD player along with a new 300 watt power convertor.. but it turns it on for a second.thats it.  so try to find s full fledged 12 volt TV w DVD,..any ideas would be great. Amazon.com  has a few?

I just helped a friend convert his RV to a flat screen and was disappointed.  There used to be a good number of LED flat screen TV's that were 12 volt (had a power transformer in the chord). It seems now that only smaller TV's (19") accept a DC input and they are mostly (that I saw) 19 volts.  Of course, we were only looking at Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc.  I guess the only point is to encourage you to post what you find - maybe I completely blew it.

Insigna TV with the power pack... I purchased two for my Taj-my Haul. Bought a connector plug and wired it to a fuse and then 12 volts. Going on 2 years service now.

TV does not know the difference

Cheers

I have a Samsung that takes 14 volts. This may actually be a better match to RV systems.

Also Several companies sell DC/DC buck/boost converters (these are sold as universal Computer Power supplies) including Igo and Radio Shack... I have a couple of those lying about here as well.  Multiple "Tips" can be purchased to fit different devices, Most of those are in the 100 watt range and most LED TV's. less than that so they should work.

Another option is to check Costco or Sams Club where you can often see the wall wort/transformer on the power cable and you may find one with a 12 to 14 volt power requirement. Sometimes they get too good at tidying the wires and you can't see the transformers. I got a Vizio unit a while back and then found a correct connector at a Radio Shack to make up a 12 volt input cable. May be harder to find a Radio Shack that has these connectors these days.

The reason your "power converter" (actually in INverter) shuts off quickly is insufficient battery power. Inverting 12v to 120v take a lot of battery amps, so if the battery is small or weak, the voltage drops quickly and falls below the minimum for the inverter (about 11v). A newer/better battery will likely solve your problem, but you might need a larger on to watch tv for long periods.

The basic arithmetic is watts = volts x amps, so a 100 watt tv/dvd needs about 9 amps @ 12v to work. The inverter loses some power, so its probably closer to 10A from the battery. A new Group 24 12v battery can supply 10A for 2-3 hours before the voltage falls to far to be useful.

who said 12 volt TVs are expensive ?

about a year and a half ago I bought a little $67.00 15" TV from Best Buy,  cut the power converter off,  and connected the cord up to my 12vdc plug.

love it.

Just get a _200watt inverter. Only about 29$  and then you can use the TV you have
We use a old tube in TV 13 with built in DVD and it only draws 65watts max.     
However if you're looking for a 12 volt only TV the best place to find those or any good truck stop you'll usually find it in the section with all the truck gadgets and parts

I bought my 12 volt TV at Best Buy.

many other TV's are 12 to 14 VDC after the cord attached 110 vt a/c voltage converter is removed.

many other solid state electronic devices run on low voltage DC power that comes out of a cord mounted converter box, read the device and it will say what the operating voltage is.

I also cut the one off of our WIFI router and run it off 12 vt. dc .

There are several TVs that are made to be used with a 12vdc source. I bought a 22" Naxa with dvd player on ebay several years ago. I used it i the bedroom at home and in the MH, so I used it year round. That set comes with a car cord and a transformer for home use. I was very pleased with the set, but sold it with the coach. That's what I'd buy again, if I were looking for one. The place I bought it from gave me a 2 year warrentee with it at no cost, but never had to use it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Naxa-24-HDTV-LED-LCD-Television-DVD-Media-Player-USB-SD-HDMI-12V-Car-Cord-New-/152238117392?hash=item2372195210:g:qq4AAOSwFV9X1aY7

"The reason your "power converter" (actually in INverter) shuts off quickly is insufficient battery power."
And, connecting the inverter to inadequate 12 volt wiring will cause the inverter to not supply enough power. Remember that watts at 110v ac require about 10 times as much amperes at 12 v. So, no plugging into cigarette lighter sockets.

I got my Supersonic 12V TV on Amazon and have been happy with it.  Not this model, but here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/SuperSonic-1080p-Widescreen-Compatible-24-Inch/dp/B0082ULKUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473878125&sr=8-1&keywords=12V+tv

Check http://www.roadtrucker.com/  recommended for replacement 12V TVs & DVDs by Pleasure-Way Rep.
Dick

I have a 24 in ac/dc tv with a built-in dvd player that I bought from Rakuten on sale, for I believe, $144.00. It has two cords, one for 12 volt power and one for 110 volts, and it does not have a bulky brick/converter, and I just keep the 12 volt cord plugged in directly to a 12 volt receptacle, which works either way, with 12 volt or 110. My suggestion is to buy this type of ac/dc tv instead of a straight 110 volt tv which you then have to plug into an inverter or run off a generator or cg pedestal. 

Back
Top Bottom