Tail light question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stvaughn

When pulling a toad using something like a Brake Buddy you have no tail lights/running lights.  This doesn't seem like a good setup when towing at night. What is the best solution?

Steve

Not legal either, that is why you add a circuit just for that purpose...

Here are some options from Roadmaster:

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/accessories/electrical.html

Hi folks
I looked at numerous  options for safely towing my 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara behind our Southwind 37 L with 8.1 L engine and using a brake buddy. The problem I see with some of the expensive diode kits etc. I've read about is that this is another electrical component to fail. I opted for a simple fix. I installed 2 tail-light socket assemblies in the SUV's rear lights ( Available for $20 something bucks from RV and Automotive stores) and hooked them up via a 7 conductor cable routed underneath floor carpet to the engine compartment and into an external RV plug connected by a cable to the motorhome. I spliced a cable from a small plastic sealable junction box I installed in the engine compartment to supply my dead man switch. It involved a bit of thought and some basic hand tools ( You drill 1 hole through the inside of each tail-light )but it gives me brake/turn and running lights with no issues and can be fixed with a simple bulb replacement when necessary. Also, when your Brake Buddy Deploys, your onboard brake lights and high mounted brake lights also light up. You will be seen !

Thanks for sharing, but it needs to be said that each taillight housing is different. Some are larger than others, some are constructed in such a manner that adding the new bulb socket is almost impossible. And this is exactly what I'm going thru with my 2015 Jeep Wrangler. I'm just not quite sure where to place the socket without it interfering with the other bulbs or fitting the housing back in place.

I also found that if using the diode type of harness you will more than likely need a brake switch relay. This keeps the brake light from overriding the turn signals.

I am not interested in using the diodes & relay for a number of reasons, therefore I'm sticking with installing the extra socket ------ somehow :mad:

Corky

Blue Ox, I believe, sells a system called "Add-a-lamp" for tow lights.....

You "Home made" that exact same system... Remco also makes the same system,  It came with my lube pump.

And yes, I too like it. Never had a problem with the diode kit. but I still like the add-a-lamp system.

I added a bulb to my tail lights Corky. Did the 2015 lights change much from the older models?  Can you post a pic of the inside of your tail light for us to look at?

SargeW said:
I added a bulb to my tail lights Corky. Did the 2015 lights change much from the older models?  Can you post a pic of the inside of your tail light for us to look at?

As far as I can tell everything is the same from '07 thru '16.
I will post picture when I can get to my other computer.

Do you know if the red lens can be separated from the housing? That in it's self would make life so much easier if I could work from both sides of the housing.

And my apologies to the OP of this thread for the hijacking.

Corky

stvaughn said:
When pulling a toad using something like a Brake Buddy you have no tail lights/running lights.  This doesn't seem like a good setup when towing at night. What is the best solution?

Steve

Steve I tow several vehicles depending on what is planned for our trips. The cheapest way to get your brake and turn lights is to purchase a set of magnetic tow lights. I got mine at Harbor Freight for under $20.00. Right now I'm setting up a newly purchased 2015 Jeep Wrangler.

Good luck.

Corky

We got the magnetic tow lights for our toad (we use a dolly) got the ones that are red on the back and amber on the front.  The amber lets me look in my back-up camera and verify they are working.

SargeW said:

Sarge here are a few pictures of the light and what I'm thinking of doing (or trying to do)

The 1157 bulb measures a whisker under 1.0" with the flange on the socket around 1-1/32".
I don't think I can weasel the socket in between the brake and reverse lights without compromising the divider. There is an area on the side of the housing, but once the socket is installed it may not clear the tab on the body. I have been looking for a dual element bulb and socket that is miniature in size but still has the candlepower required. I have tried to separate the red lens from the housing without success, but I really haven't put a lot pressure on itin fear of breaking something.

The afternoon wasn't a total bust though. The bumper arrived in time for me to install it. ;D

Attachments

• Stock tailight.jpg
    Stock tailight.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Brake and Reverse Divider.jpg
    Brake and Reverse Divider.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Mount into the Side.jpg
    Mount into the Side.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Tap problems.jpg
    Tap problems.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Nose shot.jpg
    Nose shot.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 24
With an incandescent bulb you have to be careful about leaving enough clearance around it to dissipate the bulb's heat.  It's not good to have it touching the plastic side of the tail light housing, for example.

I'd look at an LED replacement for the new stop/tail light bulb.  Not only can it be mounted with zero clearance but you can probably find one thinner than the standard bulb it replaces.

Thanks Lou. I didn't even take heat into consideration ::).

I've been looking into LEDs. Finding one that is small enough to give room around the other bulbs has it's own problem set. Everything that is LED I have found with enough candlepower is still pretty close to the 1157 in size.
I'm still trying to find out if the red lens can be separated from the housing. If I can remove the lens it would make this installation worlds smoother.

Corky

Hey Corky,  I have finally found the post I made in  2010 regarding my install of the extra light in tail light assembly. Not sure if yours will be similar or not.  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,38701.msg360181.html#msg360181

Sarge -- thanks so much for the link. I'm going to go this route for sure and the pictures pushed me over the edge.
I was on the verge of baking the housings to release the glue so that the lens can be removed, but seeing how you squoze the socket in place I'll follow suit.

Corky

I have a suggestion for anyone using Harbor Freight tow lights.
Tie them to something to keep them from dragging the pavement when the Magnets jar lose.That saved mine from destruction when I crossed a very rough spot in the road.  The magnets just aren't that strong.
Marvin 

Corky

Use what many of us Jeep owners use...http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/55-jk-tow-harness-kit.html

Terry A. Brewer said:
Corky

Use what many of us Jeep owners use...http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/55-jk-tow-harness-kit.html

Thanks Terry
This looks interesting but the website is lacking in any real information.
I've searched for this kit and am finding conflicting info as to whether or not it is a true Plug & Play unit, and if a brake relay is needed.

I'll try to contact the company during the week, but from what I've seen they're response time isn't very good - we'll see.

Corky

Corky

It is a true plug & play I have a 2016 Rubicon Unlimited and it works perfect... I ran the cable through the frame and it took less than an hr to install. I don't know what brake relay you are talking about, but it is not require for the light setup.

Why worry about extra bulbs, splices, diodes etc?

Terry
I've spent some more time researching this kit and have bit the bullet. The kit should be delivered in a few days.

I will post an update after this is installed.

Corky

Back
Top Bottom