Bed Liner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buzzardcheater

Closing in on my long anticipated upgrade to a new or late model dually.  We plan on hauling a big camper (probably Lance 1172).  Thoughts on the pros/cons of a spray-in bed liner?  Do I need it?  Any downsides to it?

I have had spray in bed liners in a previous truck years ago and in my current truck.  IMHO it is a good idea in that it provides and extra layer of protection to your truck bed.  Should be fine with a truck camper, though I have not had experience with truck campers. 

You definitely need some sort liner in the bed to protect the camper and to prevent sliding. The Plastic bed liners are a no,no.
I have a Linex liner in my bed and I haul one of the largest campers you can buy.
But, I would not set my camper directly on the Linex, it is rather rough and will be hard on the bottom of your camper.
I have a rubber bed mat that sits on top of the Linex. It provides protection to the bottom of the camper and provides some cushion for the camper.
Many people use a bed mat from Tractor supply.
I bought my rubber liner from Ford when I bought my truck. Linex stops and movement of the rubber mat.

skyhammer said:
You definitely need some sort liner in the bed to protect the camper and to prevent sliding. The Plastic bed liners are a no,no.
I have a Linex liner in my bed and I haul one of the largest campers you can buy.
But, I would not set my camper directly on the Linex, it is rather rough and will be hard on the bottom of your camper.
I have a rubber bed mat that sits on top of the Linex. It provides protection to the bottom of the camper and provides some cushion for the camper.
Many people use a bed mat from Tractor supply.
I bought my rubber liner from Ford when I bought my truck. Linex stops and movement of the rubber mat.

It's not a liner which stops the camper from sliding around. You have tie downs for that.

Most campers just sit on the bed floor with no issues. Bed liners haven't always been around but truck campers have.

You don't need some type of liner to protect Linex. I don't see how the Linex would hurt the bottom of the camper. Like I said, it doesn't slide around.

sweeney153 said:
"The Plastic bed liners are a no,no."

why??

Because for just bed protection, they tend to slide around an can scratch the paint and because water can easily get between the plastic bed liner and the bed of the truck this leads to rusting of the bed.  With a truck camper it is a no-no because it can be prone to shifting around.

We had an 11.5' Lance camper on a F-350 for 10 years. Bought the truck & camper as a Bundle, but I specked it to have a sprayed on Rhino Liner done, and a 1" thick rubber mat under the camper, a Camper Tie down system w/cab over stabilizers, prior to purchase/delivery.

For Licensing purposes, we left the camper On the 350 for the whole 10 years. 

When we sold the Lance and bought a FW, and I removed the camper, the Mat had taken the shape of the Bed (with liner) contours. Both looked Factory New.

Sooo.. YES to a Spayed On Bed Liner, and YES to a Bed Mat.. between the two ?

A Plastic Bed Liner ? NO WAY.. I've seen too many of'm Broken, Cracked and/or laying along the Highway ditches & shoulders.

On the other hand.. I've seen bare truck beds After a camper has been removed.. Dirt, Grit, and RUSTED metal damage prevailed. Not Good.

Gizmo said:
Because for just bed protection, they tend to slide around an can scratch the paint and because water can easily get between the plastic bed liner and the bed of the truck this leads to rusting of the bed.  With a truck camper it is a no-no because it can be prone to shifting around.

Meh, I have found most of this to be blown way out of proportion.  I have yet to have a plastic bed liner cause any kind of serious damage to a truck bed.  I keep trucks a long time, and although some of the paint wears it also wears off any rust.  I have removed bed liners that have been in place for a decade and the bed was the best part of the truck.  Still shiny spots ( no rust) where the liner moves around.

As far as the liner/ camper I found just the opposite. First time I took out my camper I removed the liner because of the internet hyper over it sliding around.  The second time I left it in.  It fit tighter (obviously), had zero room to slide around, didn't crack anything, slid in easier, and was very stable.  Granted depending on the bed/fit of any particular style YMMV.

For what its worth, my nephew was in the business of spraying bedliners and when he took out the plastic ones he gave me several. I cut them up and installed the strips on the runners of my pontoon and airboat trailers.  Makes for a much easier loading and unloading and the water doesnt  stay next to the hull like the carpeted runners.

If you cut the sides down low they are good to use as a catch pan under a vehicle to catch the oil drippings when changing fluids and I found out on my Jeep it makes it easier to slide things underneath.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Line-X liner for my F-150. I've seen A LOT of plastic drop in liners that have warped, cracked, chipped and faded. For about $100 more I can get the extra strength and protection of a spray in? Yep. No brainer.

A Sprayed In Liner is the Only way to go... for all the reasons you mentioned, and Long term.. more. A No Brainer.

In our travels, I've seen Many, Many drop in's laying in Ditches and Medians.. after being Lifted/Blowing out of a pick-up. Not to mention the Worn, Rusted, Moldy OEM beds.. after a few years of a Drop In being used.

Just My .03's worth ?

One thing worthy of mention (?) Be sure whoever does the spray in.. Be Sure they are going to >Scuff< the bed paint.. so the Sprayed in liner Bonds well.. to the Whole Bed Area ?

Another reason for a good spray on liner is it adds a little soundproofing.  LineX on my last 3 trucks..

Back
Top Bottom