Dallas, TX to Phoenix, AZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dream Chasers

We are working on our trip for next year.  We have 8 days (Feb 27th to Mar 7th) to go from Dallas to Phoenix.  Is there anything really interesting to see/do on the way?  The two routes we are considering are to go north to Oklahoma City and then through Albuquerque and then down to Phoenix, or take I-10 through El Paso. 

Personally, I think the I-20 to I-10 route would save you miles, but if you want to go north to OK City, I can tell you of a couple of things to check out, I've been on the I-40 route countless times between Las Vegas and Springfield, Mo. You do know that in Feb and March, you will need to check the weather very closely due to the possibility of snow and ice at that time of year on the I-40 route.

Oklahoma City has the National Cowboy Museum, and of course, The Cattlemen's Steakhouse. As you travel through Amarillo, the Big Texan steakhouse deserves a stop even if you don't want to eat there, it's such an icon. People also rave about Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo, but I've never been there and don't exactly know how far off I-40 it is located.

I have to admit, I'm not much of a fan of Albuquerque, Sante Fe, 60 miles to the north, is much more fun. If you have time, a day spent there is rewarding, whether you are interested in art, history or scenery. And although you won't be able to attend the Santa Fe Opera, a world class facility, they offer behind the scenes tours that are really interesting. To the west, Gallup is the Mecca for Native American jewelry.

Holbrook, AZ., is a former Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe train stop and has a beautiful hotel from that era, the La Posada. Also in the same area is the Petrified Forest National Park and just west of Winslow is the Meteor Crater impact site. Speaking of Winslow, many people like to "stand on the corner" and pose with the statue that is there. Flagstaff is high in the mountains, elevation 7100', and one time while driving through, about a dozen elk jumped a fence and ran across I-40 just in front of us, fortunately, none of them got hit!

Going south from Flagstaff into Phoenix, you will pass close to Sedona, incredibly beautiful especially at sunset, and also Montezuma's Castle National Monument. You will also be entertained on the road by all the Suguaro cactus as you get close to Phoenix.

Hope this helps!

Dream Chasers said:
We have 8 days (Feb 27th to Mar 7th) to go from Dallas to Phoenix.  Is there anything really interesting to see/do on the way?

What do you like to do/see???

Spectacular mountain biking around Gallup, NM and south of Tijeras, NM.

There is a big crack in the ground just north of Flagstaff.  Excellent hiking.  If you go up that far north, spectacular kayaking around Page, AZ in the big pond there.

Some pretty red rocks near Sedona, AZ. Great for hiking and mountain biking.

Chaco Canyon north of Grants, NM is cool if you like that sort of thing.

The Gila Cliff Dwellings near Silver City, NM are kinda neat. Likely to be COLD that time of year.

Winslow, AZ has the corner, definitely worth standing on if you are an Eagle's/Jackson Browne fan.

Tucson, AZ has the Pima Air Museum, Tucson Mountain Park (hiking/mountain biking/sightseeing).

The northern route has the potential to be pretty cool that time of year (most of in New Mexico/Arizona is between 5000' and 8000').

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I think we will take the southern route through El Paso and Tucson. Then we will be at the FMCA Rally in Chandler from March 7th to 10th, and we have a week reserved from March 10th to 17th at The Desert's Edge RV Park in North Phoenix. Next we are heading north to the Grand Canyon. So some of your suggestions will fit nicely in that route and will give the weather a couple more weeks to warm up. We like hiking, biking, sight-seeing and history.

If you take I-10, there is a nice campground at Kartchner Caverns State Park, just south of Benson, AZ. And the Caverns are virtually unchanged from when they were discovered.  They take great effort to keep the cavern "sanitized" so that visitors don't introduce contamination.

Thanks, Lowell!  Great tip.  Very excited.  We are already booked at the Kartchner.  Only a few sites left big enough for our Class A, so we grabbed one now.  Didn't want to take a chance that there would be sites available when we get closer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom