House water pump stopped.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShreddinPB

Hey guys, on my most recent trip to burning man, I had a couple more things stop working. I have a 97 winne adventurer 37.
Main one was my house water pump. It was working just fine, then when I got there I noticed there was no water pressure. I checked the switch console and the light is out for the pump. I turn it off and on and nothing happens. If I turn on the water heater, the light for it goes on for about 1 second then goes off, I assume since the water pump isnt working.
I looked for a fuse but couldnt find one.
So,
Is there a fuse for it? If so, where?
If there is no fuse, and the pump dies, does that turn off the light on the control panel?

Thanks!

Those switch indicator lights aren't very reliable.  Your water pump might be fused right at or near the pump. Make sure you have 12v at the pump pressure switch.

Two separate problems perhaps. What light for the water heater are you referring to? Perhaps the one for Propane ignition? Usually any light associated with that system is not associated with the water pump but a 12V system problem could be common as suggested by John H above. Make and model of the WH might be helpful here.

The water heater light indicates the burner did not ignite. It has nothing to do with the water pump.

The water pump switch could be broken, or it could be the water pump controller. If you have more than one water pump on/off switch, there is a pump controller that actually turns the pump on/off. The switches merely tell the controller to add or remove power to the pump.

That's the generic term for two switches that operate one device. He may or may not have two switches , I suspect he does though. Whatever the case, he needs to start looking for 12v at the pump pressure switch.

That's the generic term for two switches that operate one device.
The presence or lack of a pump controller is critical to the diagnostic approach. If a controller is used rather than direct power via the wall switches, there should always be +12v at the pump. The controller works by switching the ground side in response to a change in position of any of the wall switches. Pump power does not actually pass through the wall switches.

If the power is switched directly by "3-way" wall switches, then power to the pump depends on the state of both switches and the +12v power that flows through them.

Thus it is important to understand what kind of system is in use.

John Canfield said:
Those switch indicator lights aren't very reliable.  Your water pump might be fused right at or near the pump. Make sure you have 12v at the pump pressure switch.
What or where is the pump pressure switch?
I have a switch on the wall panel to turn on or off the pump, and thats it as far as I know.

John Hilley said:
Sounds like neither the water pump or the water heater are getting the 12 volts they require.
When I turn on the water heater, the light goes on for a second then off. I have been told this is normal, when the propane lights the light goes off.
The light for the water pump would always stay on when it was on, and that light has gone off.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The presence or lack of a pump controller is critical to the diagnostic approach. If a controller is used rather than direct power via the wall switches, there should always be +12v at the pump. The controller works by switching the ground side in response to a change in position of any of the wall switches. Pump power does not actually pass through the wall switches.

If the power is switched directly by "3-way" wall switches, then power to the pump depends on the state of both switches and the +12v power that flows through them.

Thus it is important to understand what kind of system is in use.

The RV is a 97 winne adventurer 37.5 foot (someone asked which model, was in the first post ) :)
It has a switch on the wall panel that just turns the pump on or off. Previously when it worked, I would turn that switch on, and a light stays on, on the control panel. When I got to my destination, that light was off without toggling the switch. I dont know if there is a pump controller or not :(

had a similiar issue seems I had another switch in by where the shore power and water hook up, it was stuck way up and not in a place I would have though a switch to be, I luckily dropped something and saw it when my head was coming back up from looking down, the switch like a lot of other things I had had corroded parts internally, swapped it out and all is good, for now at least

ShreddinPB said:
What or where is the pump pressure switch?
I have a switch on the wall panel to turn on or off the pump, and thats it as far as I know.

The pressure switch is attached/part of the pump.

JoeFatz said:
had a similiar issue seems I had another switch in by where the shore power and water hook up, it was stuck way up and not in a place I would have though a switch to be, I luckily dropped something and saw it when my head was coming back up from looking down, the switch like a lot of other things I had had corroded parts internally, swapped it out and all is good, for now at least
I read something about a switch in there also. I looked and all I saw was a big switch that looked like a switch on the dashboard, tried that and it did nothing. Was your switch a small one?

it was a small one, same style as the one inside, it even has a little sticker that says water pump.  it located on the front of the boxed out area that the shore water hooks up to, its facing the cargo door, if you want a picture I can take one.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I understand 3-way switches, but have not encountered any RVs that use them for the water pump. Is that the way it's done on a '97 Adventurer?

There are multiple switches on my 99 Brave, no controller

3 switches on mine for the pump, one on the main panel, one in the bathroom right next to the light switch, one in the compartment for gray/black tank dump and city water hookup. They all work like a normal 3way should, (any can turn the pump off or on). Not sure about a controller, haven't had the need to look for one. I can hear the pump come on from just about anywhere in the coach though. Maybe a trashy connection at one of the other switches that hardly gets used?

Back
Top Bottom