EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: What advice do you wish someone told you before you went full time?  (Read 5222 times)

markbarendt

Re: What advice do you wish someone told you before you went full time?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 10:56:44 PM »
Been thinking about this here and there as this thread keeps popping up. Here's my 2 cents.

Start sooner.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 12:07:52 AM »
We are going back FT soon. We have been part timing for the last 5 or so years, and staying in the stick house 3-5 months a year.  We have grown tired of coming back to spend so much time catching up on deferred maintenance, problems, and new projects. 

The stick house has it's benefits.  Big rooms to wander in, lots of room to stretch out. Lots of room for occasional company. But that all comes at a price, and it's not cheap. When weighed together, we would rather travel and pick places and climates to stop in. We spend more time enjoying each others company and a lot less time sweating over some new project. 

But we will save the funds we save, and somewhere down the road we will find somewhere else to land. Maybe in 5+ years or so.  Cycle of life, just keep pedaling and don't look back.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 02:46:30 AM »
Our jayco TT has a sign inside that says it contains formaldehyde and is not suitable for full timers.
That is crazy. I have owned two Jaycos and full timed in both of them. One was a B and one was a C. If the smell of formaldehyde is so bad why would it only be bad for full timers and not for weekend campers?
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

spacenorman

• ---
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 09:44:15 AM »
I think the couple of posts that mentioned having an "exit strategy" touched on an important issue.   Neither my DW or I have any intention of spending our final days stuck in a bus.   We view our traveling as a wonderful opportunity that we're fortunate to be in a position to take advantage of.   When the day comes - either because of a life alter health event (we've all seen the Lion King and know about the "circle of life" and know that it's a matter of when not if for every one of us!) - or that morning we both wake up, look at each other, and say "I don't want to do this any more!".    We've set aside resources to ensure we can put roots back down again as we "enter the homestretch" of our lives.    It's a helluva kick at this stage in life - and we're enjoying the heck out of it.   BUT, when the time comes - we've got a plan for an orderly exit from the lifestyle.
The Spacenorman
2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43 DFT
2012 Jeep Liberty
http://www.penquinhead.com/

dcbinvt

• ---
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2017, 10:15:07 PM »
Best advice? ..... Calm down,  ....... only plan loosely - they're lot's of stuff you'll want to do and see as you travel.

dcb in VT

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2017, 07:30:41 PM »
My best advice--if you don't have a sense of adventure and are flexible when things don't go right, you probably should NOT start out in this lifestyle! 

Things break, campgrounds aren't what you expected, it rains for four days in a row and you are stuck inside, the neighbors like to talk loudly and slam doors late at night, traffic is horrible, etc.  If you aren't willing to let things go and call it an "adventure," then stay home in your sticks and bricks.

By the way, I worked two jobs for 23 years before I bought my RV and put most of my second job income into savings the last 10 years, after my kids were gone.  I also waited until I was 69 to retire so I could have a decent savings fund for my "exit strategy."  I also am still working part-time teaching online, so I don't have to spend that savings in case I get really sick and need to quit. And the only way I could afford to travel was to have only one residence, so I sold my condo and went full-time.  It would have been too expensive to keep empty, and I did not want to deal with renters.  I am VERY glad I don't have to worry about it.   

Oh, and to add to Miss Mermaid's list:  Chocolate always goes in the refrigerator, even chocolate chips.  Makes a messy puddle otherwise.
Full-timing for over five years in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N

Peggyy

• ---
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2017, 09:31:29 PM »
That is crazy. I have owned two Jaycos and full timed in both of them. One was a B and one was a C. If the smell of formaldehyde is so bad why would it only be bad for full timers and not for weekend campers?

I guess they are implying a little wont hurt you, but a lot might?  I dont think every jayco has that warning sign.  I wish mine did not.
GMC Sierra 2012
2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW Travel Trailer
sweet home Alabama

dcbinvt

• ---
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2017, 07:44:51 PM »
Add to my reply #34.  It's just my dog, my ferret and me. I'm on my second round of full-timing with several years in between. In my first cycle I rented my house and went on for 8 years. Then I got rid of most of my stuff, kept what was precious to me including every tool known to man - sold my house -  and bought a condo. Kept the condo. Bought a new MH, old one was a larger class A, and took off again. My kids watch the condo, and I circle back several/many times a year for a day or two. The condo is also my escape plan.

Am I a full timer? Maybe mostly, I consider myself one. This may be a solution for some.

dcb in VT

Hosted by Over The Network