PNW winter freshwater system protection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herekittykitty

Am going to try to stay in WA this winter instead of heading to CA. I have to cycle between 2 parks that do get some snow and freeze overnight on occasion (not a "real" winter like in SD  ;D http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,93455.0.html).

Because I'll have to be unhooking and moving regularly, I'm not sure how to protect my water pressure regulator and filter.

Am not that concerned about the water hose, but I did spend a night or two in the high desert of CA last winter where it dropped into the 20s overnight, and that cracked my (disposable) filter and broke the regulator.

I could just fill my water tank every 3-4 days and run off that, I suppose. A pain, but it's doable. Any other suggestions?

I think you are on the right track to protect your filter/regulator. Just hook up and fill the tank, then switch everything back to run off city water. When the weather threatens to freeze, unhook the hose, filter, and regulator and store them where it won't freeze, then run off of your tank. Yep, it's a pain in the butt, but you won't be hanging out in the bath house with the other people there thawing out their water supply equipment.

Are you in western Washington or eastern Washington?(east or west of the Cascade mountains)

First make sure the place you are staying keeps there water on during cold snaps.
State parks winterize their water supplies.I know some RV parks put heat tape on their water supply,but don't know if they all do it.

Assuming you are on the west side of the hump,I would agree that simply filling and unhooking is your easiest option.
When it does freeze,it rarely freezes for more than a few days,and you normally know a few days ahead of time before it gets too cold.

If you are on the east side,or in the mountains, it can get colder,so may be better to take more precautions like skirting and heat tape

herekittykitty said:
Guess I should have been more specific, huh? I'll be within spitting distance of you, Jeff; in Blaine.

Howdy Neighbor!,
Here in Whatcom county we have plenty of notice if it's going to get cold enough to freeze.
Usually it's when we get the NE winds coming down from the Frasier canyon in BC. Rarely do we get a cold snap that lasts more than a few days.

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
Howdy Neighbor!,
Here in Whatcom county we have plenty of notice if it's going to get cold enough to freeze.
Usually it's when we get the NE winds coming down from the Frasier canyon in BC. Rarely do we get a cold snap that lasts more than a few days.

That's great to know, Jeff, and very helpful, thanks.

Just use your tank water whenever the temperature is going to be near freezing. It will warm up during the day, and you will be fine to dump and re-fill. We do this pretty routinely when cool/cold weather is coming, and we don't have any problem down to the lower 20s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom