Didn't see that one coming - Auto Insurance while FT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomAndRae

We just started FTing in August and I thought I'd done all the research I needed to make the transition; mail forwarding - check, state of domicile- check, FT RV insurance- check. Unfortunately the thing I didn't even think about is my auto insurance!

We've been with the same company for more than 18 years but when I called to update my mailing address I found out they don't do business in SD or NC which are two states we are spending a lot of our time visiting. I will NOT start using Progressive, so I'm looking for other suggestions of companies who will cover my 3 vehicles, 2 4 Wheelers, and flat bed trailer (we have a lot of stuff).

How does everyone go about deciding their garaging address when you're constantly on the move? We don't have a house any more so I'm pretty sure the new owners don't want to keep getting my insurance cards/docs.

I just switched from progressive to here.  http://www.rvadvantage.com/

Just to avoid confusion, I want to note that "visiting" is different than a "garage address". Your insurance still covers you when visiting a state, even though the company does not write insurance policies in that state. It has to do with how insurance is regulated in the state - if the company writes even one policy for a vehicle "garaged' in that state, the company becomes subject to that state's insurance regulation and rate restrictions. Apparently your company finds the regs in those states too burdensome. But if you establish your driving license and vehicle registrations in some other state, the insurance policy for them falls under that state's regs and you can travel anywhere in the USA (and Canada too) without worry about coverage.

There are dozens of insurers that do write policies in those states, so Progressive is hardly your only choice. State Farm, Allstate, Geico, The Hartford, National Interstate, Allied/Nationwide, to name a few.

The insurer will want to know where the vehicle(s) is "principally garaged". That's an obsolete term today, so don't get hung up on it. As long as there is some legitimate basis for the designated state & location, you are OK.  By default it is the state where the tags are issued and the associated mailing address, but those could be different for an FT RVer.

How to choose a domicile for the purpose of driving license and vehicle tag/title?  That choice potentially affects your personal taxes, vehicle registration fees/taxes/inspections, health insurance coverage and cost, jury duty, etc., so you need to balance all those factors. That is heavily dependent on your individual situation, so "best" is not a universal thing. Most RVers choose domiciles with little or no income tax and no personal property tax on vehicles. Sales tax is also a consideration if you will be buying an expensive RV or tow vehicle.

There are many, AEON covers many motor homes, I think they will cover your car as well

My motor home is with Nationwide, I do plan to leave them eventually but till I get a new engine I'm sticking with nationwide.  (Open claim depending on what killed the engine)

THe car is with Liberty mutual

There are some "You must qualify" for comp;anies too like the one for Miltary Vets (USAA)  Can not tell you anything about them beyond this paragraph..

I am curious to the subjects of the thread as well. Good questions that I had as well. Those that are full-timing with no real permanent address - how to you establish one for all the purposes outlined in Gary's post? A PO Box surely isn't an acceptable address, and last I checked on PO Boxes you need to provide proof of residency, such as utility bills, to have a PO Box application accepted.

Are some of you using a family member or friend's location (with their permission of course)? Or are there other ways to claim "residency" without actually being somewhere?

kc8qvo said:
I am curious to the subjects of the thread as well. Good questions that I had as well. Those that are full-timing with no real permanent address - how to you establish one for all the purposes outlined in Gary's post? A PO Box surely isn't an acceptable address, and last I checked on PO Boxes you need to provide proof of residency, such as utility bills, to have a PO Box application accepted.

Are some of you using a family member or friend's location (with their permission of course)? Or are there other ways to claim "residency" without actually being somewhere?

I just use my son's address.....it's a mailing address and nothing more.
Pay the kid a visit now and again and get the mail......easy.

Those that are full-timing with no real permanent address - how to you establish one for all the purposes outlined in Gary's post? A PO Box surely isn't an acceptable address, and last I checked on PO Boxes you need to provide proof of residency, such as utility bills, to have a PO Box application accepted.

Not an easy question and it depends a good deal on your particular circumstances, not to mention the state you want to use as your domicile. Generally the tightest requirements will be for a driver license, since that has to comply with the federal Real ID act. The specifics are up to the state that issues it, though, so each state can be a bit different.  To the best of my knowledge, though, a PO box, PMB, or other non-physical address will always require some supporting documentation. Once you have that established, that can serve as the address/ID for vehicle tags and most other needs.

Probably the simplest way is to use the physical address of a relative or friend in the state you select. Another technique is to stay in a place that has a physical address for 3-6 months while obtaining that state's driver license. Technically you are obligated to file a change of address when you move from there, but nobody is checking. There are also a few PMB (private mail box) providers that can legitimately assign a physical address for you (I think Escapees has that capability). Some states may allow you to use a law office or business address as well, though sometimes I think that is more a matter of not verifying that the address is a residence than an official permission to do that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom