Leaving the RV lifestyle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
best of luck to you and your wife---newbe here but have read just about all of your very useful posts--keep yer chins up high

Wishing you and Nancy the best.  May the new directions in your travels, albeit stationery, be as rewarding as your many years on the road.  Waiting, along with you and all the others touched by this dread disease, for the cure. 

Nancy is a very tough lady. She/we have been battling her rare form of breast cancer for nearly nine years now, and she has beat the survival odds so far and managed to have a life as well.  We have continued to travel thoughout that time, even though the logistical problems of arranging for chemo are not trivial. However, last year she had to change from a 3-week regimen to weekly treatments and that made moving around much even more difficult.

At about the same time we decided to reduce our travel distance somewhat. We had been spending most of the summers in Maine, with sojourns in Virginia and Pennsylvania going and returning, but we decided to give western NC (Asheville) area a try. Upon checking out the climate, the people, and the medical facilities, we were quite pleased. I guess maybe we fell in love with the area! In any case, we enjoy it there and do not feel we are giving up anything to spend the season in one place. We will, of course, miss having our personal mobile closet, pantry and refrigerator, but that will be traded off against having more than 2x the space (a large kitchen, a laundry room, etc.). And no hook-ups to manage either!

We all have to make an entrance plan, and an exit plan, and it sounds like you have done an excellent job setting yourself up with your usual skill and determination.  Sorry we never got to RV with you, but I am glad you will still be hanging around the forum. 

The price we pay for getting old. We will keep you and Nancy in our prayers. Enjoy what life you and Nancy have remaining. I enjoy your writing along with your extensive knowledge so I will be looking forward to your replies.

Gary, sorry to hear the conditions under which you had to make this decision, glad to hear that you plan to continue your participation here on the forum.  You are a valuable resource to us more casual and occasional RVers.  Take good care of Nancy, and we will look forward to many more years of forum activity.

Gary, I am sad to hear we won't have another chance to camp in the same resort. We wanted to see you again at Mama Gertie's this year but after the long trip out west and a lot more RV repairs when we got back, we simply didn't have the budget to make another trip. So we have already planned on spending two weeks there next summer so we can see my son and grandchildren, and were hoping on catching you again. If you are going to be in the Black Mountain area, I propose we plan on at least doing lunch one day while we are in the area. You are right; there is something about the Asheville area that catches your attention. After living in SW Florida his entire life, my son decided to move to Asheville as soon as he completed medical school.

I am glad to hear you will continue contributing to the board. You are a walking encyclopedia of RV knowledge that we do not want to lose.

There comes a time .... and we all hang those keys up ever so reluctantly.  Big hugs to you and my cancer fighting heroine, Nancy.  :'(

I am sorry to hear of Nancy's problem. I hope she kicks it in the butt. I am sorry to hear that you are hanging up the keys, but I can relate to that. I hung mine up four years ago. I am glad you are still going to be sticking around here. We need you.

As you know Donna and I reached a similar decision a little over a year ago.  we do really miss the RV lifestyle, but have found that travel in the SUV has opened an ability to explore areas where we previously could venture.
    Please keep in touch via the Forum, and we do promise to make the effort to come up to see you and Nancy when we are ai our place in Florida.

Ed

Thanks for the warm thoughts, everyone. Nancy & I both appreciate it.

We've kept our hand in at non-RV travel, typically spending 3-7 nights/year in motels or at relative's homes, so are still accustomed to packing a suitcase and traveling lighter.

Gary, you know that Mags and I count you and Nancy as two of our very best friends. Next year's trip will be AZ to WA and 2018 will be AK; clearly, we couldn't be much further away from FL & NC!!  But we promise to try & get to visit you again as soon as we can as our friendship surpasses RVing.

Give that lovely wife of yours a couple of superhugs from us, and then give her a turn. ?

Dougie & Mags.

Back
Top Bottom