HD Direct TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdBickfordCPA

We will be ordering a new RV in the next month and I'm working on what options to add.  I've read that the regular Winegard dome will only receive Direct TV SD.  The Newer Winegard SK-SWM3 Slimline Automatic Multi-Satellite TV Antenna can be used with the HD receiver.  If anyone has used it I'd like to know how it has worked for you.

I have the Trav'ler SK-SWM3 and it works great. It does take longer to search and lock-on, but that is to be expected from what I have read. Just watching it search is pretty cool. My old SD dome would find the signal in about 2 minutes, this one takes up to 10 so far. You do have to remember to stow it before you drive off.

I have two receivers, one in the main RV and one in the bedroom. Nice to watch different channels, and I get all the same channels as I have at home (excepting the locals if I am far enough from home).

I bought the large mounting plate SKA-008 with it for added stability on the roof.

I installed that antenna a few months ago, and so far we're very satisfied with it. Like Randy, we have two receivers (brought ours from home).

I also have the Direct version of the Trav'ler -- it's great, and gets everything our home unit does, including all the HD. And since the dish is the same size as the one at home, rain and such have the minimal effects you get at home, too.

As Randy says, it takes longer to search and lock on, but you only need to do it once when you park, while a dome often searches for a different satellite when changing channels.

Just to be clear, it's not just the Winegard dome that can't do Direct HD - no RV-type dome antenna can receive Direct TV's HD satellites. An "open face" satellite dish is necessary for that, and finding and locking in all the HD satellites takes longer than just finding Direct 101 for SD. It's the nature of the beast...

If you decided to go with Dish instead of Direct, the dome type will work with Dish's HD service, which uses the same satellites as Dish SD.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Just to be clear, it's not just the Winegard dome that can't do Direct HD - no RV-type dome antenna can receive Direct TV's HD satellites. An "open face" satellite dish is necessary for that, and finding and locking in all the HD satellites takes longer than just finding Direct 101 for SD. It's the nature of the beast...

If you decided to go with Dish instead of Direct, the dome type will work with Dish's HD service, which uses the same satellites as Dish SD.

Gary - that's the way I understood it.  Tiffin has two options, the Winegard dome type antenna or the pre-wire for the traveler satellite. 

Ed

Larry N. said:
I also have the Direct version of the Trav'ler -- it's great, and gets everything our home unit does, including all the HD. And since the dish is the same size as the one at home, rain and such have the minimal effects you get at home, too.

As Randy says, it takes longer to search and lock on, but you only need to do it once when you park, while a dome often searches for a different satellite when changing channels.

You, Tom and Randy all have Direct TV at home.  I don't,  I have U-verse.  Do you know if it is a problem getting Direct TV for the RV without having it at home? 

EdBickfordCPA said:
You, Tom and Randy all have Direct TV at home.  I don't,  I have U-verse.  Do you know if it is a problem getting Direct TV for the RV without having it at home?

It shouldn't be a problem, but the advantage we all have is that the RV service is no cost extra if you take a receiver from the house, or only $7 a month additional for each fixed receiver in the RV. You'll end up paying for full service.

Randy chirped it -- you'll be fine, but pay as if you have full service at home, too. There was a time we had cable at the house, and used the Dish pay-as-you-go service for travel, using a Winegard Carryout portable dome -- it worked very well for us. Same channel selections (and monthly price) as at home, but you can start and stop service month by month, as you need it. And you can also have a Trav'ler or other antenna mounted on the rig, being careful that the receiver and antenna match.

I have the Trav'ler SK-SWM3, works great. I park the trailer, level it, open the slides, push one button on the controller, finish setting up trailer, after dish finds Satellites  turn on Direct TV DVR and ten minutes latter TV is working great.

Back
Top Bottom