SeilerBird's ukulele baptism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I planned to do that when I split one off last night, but I was on my tablet (as I am now, going down the freeway). I dislike trying to do anything productive without keyboard and mouse. Too easy to screw things up.

Never mind, I merged them, although some folks might be confused trying to follow a "single" discussion.

Thanks, but you did spell my name wrong in the title. As you say it is too easy to screw things up on a tablet. That is why I rarely type on my phone. Since this is my baptism does that mean someone in a fancy robe is going to pour water on my head?

Sorry about that; It's fixed. Bob, our forum Chaplain, will be along shortly to do the honors.

Looks like the Ukulizer site was deliberately disabled, although I'm not sure why. Either they didn't pay their bills, or they're giving the site a makeover  ???

OK Tom I have a problem and I want your opinion (and anyone else's opinion who wishes to chime in). My plan is to buy three ukuleles. A soprano, a concert and a tenor. I have the soprano that I really love. It is a Mitchell MU100CE. It has a glossy finish and looks awesome and plays awesome.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mitchell/MU100CE-Acoustic-Electric-Concert-Ukulele-Natural-Koa-1316478161867.gc

I have a tenor 8 string that I like but I will replace it someday in the future since it does not have a built in tuner and it is not as pretty as many others I have seen. It is an Oscar Schmidt OU28TE 8-String. It is ok but not exceptional like the Mitchell.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IIV3K0U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am having a tough time deciding which concert to buy. There are two that I like equally so I am wondering which one you would choose or do you have another suggestion. The first one is a Ortega Guitars RFU11ZE which is a beautiful zebrawood but it is satin and not gloss. I much prefer gloss. Yes they are fingerprint magnets but I always wipe my instruments down before putting them back in the case.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0067YX4OC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1LFSE1IE6PRVF&coliid=IX6KSSB8FF112

The other one is a gloss. It is a Kala KA-CGE and it is about the same price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ETCPCH6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1LFSE1IE6PRVF&coliid=I3W37OCDNEZW7

I have until next Friday to figure this out. Thanks for looking.

I don't go for gloss and glitter, preferring to choose by sound, so I'm probably not qualified to offer advice. I smile when I hear someone compliment someone's uke because it looks nice, even (if) it doesn't sound good. But l know you'd have a better (more discerning) ear than most buyers.

My go-to 4-string concert is a Fluke by Flea Market Music (the same Jim Beloff who writes those uke books we talked about). Some folks are turned off by the polypropelene body, painted wood top, and strange shape, but it has a great tone. And those pheg tuners never move. Not sure if they offer it with a pre-amp, but I don't play my stringed instruments through an amplifier (another story).

A decent choice for an all-wood concert would be an Islander, which is available with electronics: The same company as the expensive Kanile'a, but they make the Islander in China and it sells for around $250. One caveat, I've only played/listened to their concert. The owner of Kanile'a once put one of his $2K/$2.5K ukes in my hands, but I was scared I'd have an accident with it.

I've played other expensive ukes, including a Martin (loaned by a friend), but I couldn't justify spending that much.

One suggestion for whichever concert you buy, consider changing out the g string for a 'low g'. I haven't done so, but it makes a more mellow sound on the multiple ones I've heard.

I'm partial to Kala, but only for the models I own. I played and listened to them quite a bit, and took along someone esle for an opinion, before buying.

I do go for gloss and glitter and bling. I always have bought beautiful instruments. The prettier they are the more often I will play them. I spend a lot of time staring at my instruments and I love beauty. If I owned Trigger it would sit in the closet and never get played. As far as sound goes it really doesn't matter much to me. I am suppose to be wearing hearing aids because I have lost my high frequency hearing. I stopped wearing them a year ago because I have been spending a lot of time listening to my surround sound discs and with the hearing aids on it distorts unless I play it really quietly and that ain't going to happen. It is kind like if I was going to go to the prom and I had my choice of taking Jennifer Aniston or Rosanne Barr who would I take? Let me think about that for a few minutes and see if I can figure it out. I am thinking the Kala is going to win. Thanks for your opinions.

That's funny; I wouldn't take Rosanne Barr either  ;D  OTOH I'm lucky enough to have all the beauty I need in front of me day and night, and have no desire to take someone else to any event.

Whilst I'm a Kala fan, I urge you to check out the Islander before making your decision.

I did check out the Islanders and could not find one with a pickup in it. A pickup and tuner is my first requirement. I am planning on doing some recording and I much prefer direct input. Another thing I want is sealed tuners.

I know that Islander ukes are available with electronics. I was with our MD when he played and bought one, and he still plays it. Drop them an email via their web site and ask.

Since you've switched to a plastic pick, do you plan to put pick guards on your ukes? You wouldn't (want) them to look like Willie Nelson's guitar  :eek:

When I looked for them, I came to the conclusion I'd need to buy guitar ones and cut them to fit. Meanwhile I didn't buy any since I rarely use a pick.

Tom said:
Since you've switched to a plastic pick, do you plan to put pick guards on your ukes? You wouldn't them to look like Willie Nelson's guitar  :eek:

When I looked for them, I came to the conclusion I'd need to buy guitar ones and cut them to fit. Meanwhile I didn't buy any since I rarely use a pick.
I don't think I will need a pick guard. I don't pick with enough ferocity to warrant one. If it starts looking like Trigger I might reconsider it. But the main hole in Trigger was caused by his fingernails. But then again Trigger is one of the most valuable guitars of all time so it is not all bad. In the world of guitars for some strange reason the more it looks played the more valuable it is.

I did order the Kala this morning. I don't have the patience to wait.

I went looking for a low G string and the only one I found on the Internet was $10. Three for the string and seven for shipping. So I went to a local music store this morning and they don't sell individual uke strings so I will just pass on it for now.

Actually I hate the look of pick guards and when I buy a guitar with one on it then the first thing I do is remove it.

Attachments

• Pick guard.jpg
    Pick guard.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 13
One of my ukes (the Fluke with painted wood top) is showing the effects of my fingernails because I didn't install a guard. It's only a matter of time before my other ukes show the signs.

Edit: More correctly, this is the result of finger oils; I have naturally very "oily" skin so, when my finger/thumb lands on the 'top' (at the end of a strum), finger oils are transferred.

They all have a long way to go. I've bought enough ukes to last me a while  ;D

A couple of band members (husband and wife) have 12 grandkids, and they bought 9 of them ukes for Christmas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom