EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: "wi-fi"  (Read 1001 times)

PAPA BARE

• ---
"wi-fi"
« on: September 17, 2016, 09:15:50 AM »
I have a 2008 tiffin moterhome with a computer that is wired for internet i would like to get it on wi-fi. I bought a bolse wireless n300 that when inserted all i get is blue lines. Was told that it was puling to much power. I was wondering if someone had one working on wi-fi and what they used. thanks for any help.

legrandnormand

• ---
  • Retired and enjoying it since 1995
Re: "wi-fi"
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 09:30:27 AM »
If you have a wi-fi card in your computer, you just need to activate it and find the wi-fi; it will connect by itself unless the wi-fi spot requires an acces code or password that the owner of the park or where ever you are will give you.
Normand
Trois-Rivieres, QC, Canada
2010 Gulfstream Independance, model 8367
2009 Smart Cabriolet

PAPA BARE

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »
I will have to check to see if it has a card.

thank you

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 10:49:37 AM »
You should be able to go to the settings panel on your computer and look for the headed that says "Network Connections".
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 10:56:33 AM »
Just to be clear, you have the N300 High Gain model with the twin antennas, and not one of the other 300 Mbps, wifi-n, plug-in modules? There seems to be minor differences in software and also power.

Are you saying the screen changes to "blue lines" when you plug in the N300? Or are the "blue lines" there already and nothing changes when you plug in the N300?

What PC operating system does it have? As I recall, Tiffin used a PC-based system in the Phaeton, but its probably an old Windows, and maybe a customized version as well. The N300 requires it's own driver software for Windows or Mac OS, and that has to be installed first. They have support for WinXP, Vista, Win7, and Win8. Did the driver installation work?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

PAPA BARE

• ---
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 11:59:30 AM »
This is a 2008 phaeton the computer is a 256 MB and has copilot gps installed which i would like to up date.

On the box it says bolse wireless n300 high gain usb adapter. The screen looks normal until i plug the thing in then the screen has blue lines in it.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 08:56:18 PM »
That Phaeton computer is kind of an oddball - a buddy of mine had an '08 Phaeton and never got much use from it.  It may be that computer is trying to access the Bolse as if it was a USB memory module. If you didn't get the device driver loaded for it, that's at least part of the problem. From what I read on Bolse website, it's not a "plug 'n play" device.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

PAPA BARE

• ---
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 10:08:13 PM »
It came with a disk i installed before i plug it in. Have two because i thought the first one was bad.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 07:47:21 AM »
It's possible that power draw is the problem. Devices labeled "hi gain" probably have a larger amplifier that typically draws more power than the minimum USB-1 spec. While USB-1 allows for up to 500 ma, some older ports deliver only the 100 ma (0.1 amps) minimum.

What happens when the device tries to draw more than the rated power is anybody's guess, since it depends whether the designer of the USB port circuitry anticipated handling an out-of-spec condition.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

PAPA BARE

• ---
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 03:04:09 PM »
Thanks for all the info. i will have my laptop withe me for all the computer work i was just trying to update the gps system.

As long as the gps works i don't need the computer. I just like the size of the screen.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 06:57:08 PM »
Try the Bolse on another computer to make sure it initializes ok there.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Hosted by Over The Network