"wi-fi"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PAPA BARE

I have a 2008 tiffin moterhome with a computer that is wired for internet i would like to get it on wi-fi. I bought a bolse wireless n300 that when inserted all i get is blue lines. Was told that it was puling to much power. I was wondering if someone had one working on wi-fi and what they used. thanks for any help.

If you have a wi-fi card in your computer, you just need to activate it and find the wi-fi; it will connect by itself unless the wi-fi spot requires an acces code or password that the owner of the park or where ever you are will give you.

Just to be clear, you have the N300 High Gain model with the twin antennas, and not one of the other 300 Mbps, wifi-n, plug-in modules? There seems to be minor differences in software and also power.

Are you saying the screen changes to "blue lines" when you plug in the N300? Or are the "blue lines" there already and nothing changes when you plug in the N300?

What PC operating system does it have? As I recall, Tiffin used a PC-based system in the Phaeton, but its probably an old Windows, and maybe a customized version as well. The N300 requires it's own driver software for Windows or Mac OS, and that has to be installed first. They have support for WinXP, Vista, Win7, and Win8. Did the driver installation work?

This is a 2008 phaeton the computer is a 256 MB and has copilot gps installed which i would like to up date.

On the box it says bolse wireless n300 high gain usb adapter. The screen looks normal until i plug the thing in then the screen has blue lines in it.

That Phaeton computer is kind of an oddball - a buddy of mine had an '08 Phaeton and never got much use from it.  It may be that computer is trying to access the Bolse as if it was a USB memory module. If you didn't get the device driver loaded for it, that's at least part of the problem. From what I read on Bolse website, it's not a "plug 'n play" device.

It's possible that power draw is the problem. Devices labeled "hi gain" probably have a larger amplifier that typically draws more power than the minimum USB-1 spec. While USB-1 allows for up to 500 ma, some older ports deliver only the 100 ma (0.1 amps) minimum.

What happens when the device tries to draw more than the rated power is anybody's guess, since it depends whether the designer of the USB port circuitry anticipated handling an out-of-spec condition.

Thanks for all the info. i will have my laptop withe me for all the computer work i was just trying to update the gps system.

As long as the gps works i don't need the computer. I just like the size of the screen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom