Wiper split

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdbgoat

I was working on my trailer and noticed that the wiper on the top corner on one of my slides is split. I tried looking on the net for information about the wiper,  and from what I read, the wiper only helps remove water and debris when moving the slide, and the D seal actually seals and keeps the water out. Is this true? Is the split wiper any real concern to keep water on the outside?

Is this true?

Yes, that's usually the case. There are actually two such seals, one for when the slideout is extended and one for when it's retracted.

Is the split wiper any real concern to keep water on the outside?

It might allow water to stay on top of the slide as it's retracted, and you could end up with water on the floor inside the RV. Check the top of the slideout after retracting it following rain. You might find minimal or no water left on top of the slide.

FWIW when we had a problem with water not being "wiped" from the top of a couple of slides, we ended up with wet carpet. In our case, the problem was that the wiper wasn't flipping over when the slide changed direction. The manufacturer's service center installed some textured strips on the sides of the slideouts; The strips were sufficient to cause the wipers to flip.

Thank you Tom. I have rain coming in about a day and a half and didn't know if I had to do something serious in a hurry. Water puddles on the top enough that the wiper won't get it all anyway. I just go up top and sweep the slides off anyway,  rain or shine.
Just glancing at it quickly,  it doesn't look like a fun job to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom