Irv the RVing actor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irvsiegel

Tom said:
Irv,

I forgot about the old hotel, at the "other end" of the main street. Nice place and they also do a nice Sunday brunch. Didn't realize you perform there.

Since I was gone for a year, John Gibson found somebody else to take over my role(s).  Sometimes that actor isn't available, and I get to perform.  Since I've been back I've done two shows, both private parties, and not at the Pleasanton Hotel.  One was in a restaurant in Walnut Creek and the other was a country club, either in San Ramon or Pleasanton, I can't remember which.

I'm currently directing a show for the Benicia Old Towne Theatre Group.  It's a fantastically funny farce called "Lend Me A Tenor" by Ken Ludwig.  We open on April 20 and run through May 12.  Rehearsals are going very well so far, and I believe it's going to be one of the best shows put on by B.O.T.T.G. ever.

This Friday evening is the last performance of "Resistance!", a show that I also directed, at the MIRA Theatre Guild in Vallejo.  It's the story of William Parker, a runaway slave, and how he resisted the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, which allowed the kidnapping of runaway slaves by their southern masters, even in free states.  These kidnappers could legally enter someone's home without a warrant and use force to reclaim their "property" and the kidnapped Negro had no right to defend himself.  This was a federal law, and Federal Marshalls could deputize *anyone*, with or without their consent, to aid in the kidnapping of former slaves.  Resistance to the Marshall by refusing to be deputized was considered treason!  Although the play centers around William Parker, a heroic black freedom fighter, it's also about the treason trial of Castner Hanway, who was a white man who refused to be deputized and therefore was arrested and tried for treason.  It's a tremendously moving show.  The mayor of Vallejo proclaimed our opening night to be Willaim Parker Day in Vallejo.  The events of the play take place mainly in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, at the home of Congressman Thadeus Stevens, who defended Hanway in court.  The "riot" that Parker was alleged to have started occured at his home in Christiana, Pennsylvania.  It's an historical play, taken mostly from the writings of Parker, who, after having escaped to Canada, learned to read and write and had two articles published in the Atlantic Monthly.

Irv

Irv,

I wish we lived closer and could come see some of your plays. We've been to the small Willows theater in Concord to see several plays at the invitation of neighbors and forumites. Last year we really enjoyed 1776 (story of the signing of the Declaration Of Independence) in addition to the last play we saw which was a musical.

So as not to be totally off topic here, Concord is easily driveable from the fairgrounds in Pleasanton if someone wanted to see a play. Benicia is a longer haul from Pleasanton, but it's another neat town we enjoy visiting on our trips downriver en route to the bay.

Tom said:
Irv,

I wish we lived closer and could come see some of your plays. We've been to the small Willows theater in Concord to see several plays at the invitation of neighbors and forumites. Last year we really enjoyed 1776 (story of the signing of the Declaration Of Independence) in addition to the last play we saw which was a musical.

So as not to be totally off topic here, Concord is easily driveable from the fairgrounds in Pleasanton if someone wanted to see a play. Benicia is a longer haul from Pleasanton, but it's another neat town we enjoy visiting on our trips downriver en route to the bay.

That's very interesting.  I was in the first production of "1776" at the Willows when they first did it a few years ago.  I played the Reverend Johnathan Witherspoon, delgate from New Jersey.  About three years ago I played Stephen Hopkins from Rhode Island in a production of "1776" at Napa Repertory Theatre.  One of the actors from the most recent production of "1776" at the Willows is in the Benicia production of "Lend Me A Tenor", which  I'm directing.

I've been in many shows at the Willows, including Once Upon A Mattress, Funny Girl, Fiddler On The Roof, Look Homeward Angel, Gypsy, Inherit The Wind, You Can't Take It With You, and My Sister Eileen.

Irv,

You just have to let me know next time you'll be performing at the Willows. We just received an invitation to be a donor and we'll probably go ahead with that. They really do put on some good shows.

Tom said:
Irv,

You just have to let me know next time you'll be performing at the Willows. We just received an invitation to be a donor and we'll probably go ahead with that. They really do put on some good shows.

Tom,

Unfortunately I probably won't be doing anthing more at the Willows, for two reasons.  First, is that I've accumulated enough "Equity Points" to join Actors Equity Association, and if I perform at an Equity theatre, such as the Willows, they'd have to offer me an Equity contract, which means that they'd have to pay me a lot more than they've paid me in the past.  Since they consider me a "character actor" rather than a lead actor, I don't think that they'll want to hire me.  Also, due to my recent illness I get fatigued very easily, and the Willows has a very demanding schedule for rehearsals and performances.  But, you never know!  If you let me know on what night you're going to attend a show at the Willows, perhaps Victoria and I could join you.

Irv Siegel

Back
Top Bottom