Not sure what these parts are for (new to towing!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gortex

Hi! I?ve been reading this forum for a few weeks now as I prepared to buy my first travel trailer. It?s an awesome resource for a newbie who wants to know all there is to know about his toys! I finally decided to make an account so I can ask a few questions to you more experienced folks.

The trailer I bought (a 2000 Coleman Westlake, for the record) came with some extras that the seller just wanted to get rid of. The only thing I haven?t been able to figure out is the stuff he called a "sway bar set"

My reading online tells me this might not be what it actually is, but I'm not sure. I'm attaching some pics to this post - hopefully someone will recognize what I have!

The bars have "24211 Reese" stamped on one end, and "07033" on the part bolted on to the bar at the other end. The big thing with the hitch ball (I don't know the right name for it!) is also a Reese product, with the number "54957 A" on it.

I can see how the bars fit into the ?head? thing (one on either side of the hitch ball ? I don?t know the right term for it!)
But as best as I can tell, the other end seems to just sit on top of the brackets attached to the trailer?s tongue. There?s nothing to keep it in place or take any of the trailer?s weight.

All of this gear is made by Reese, but when I put in the part numbers on the website, nothing comes up. (I suspect it?s an older product?) I have a feeling I?m missing some parts to make this system work properly.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160917_174050.jpg
    20160917_174050.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 112
  • 20160917_174155.jpg
    20160917_174155.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 20160917_211430.jpg
    20160917_211430.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 110
That is often called "sway bars" but in fact it is a weight-distributing (WD) hitch and has little to do with sway control. The bars are properly termed "spring bars" and their purpose is to shift some of the trailer tongue weight off the hitch ball on forward onto the front suspension of the tow vehicle. This reduces the weight the hitch ball actually has to carry and helps level up the tow vehicle. Some WD hitches, however, also assist with trailer sway reduction, and others may have a friction-type anti-sway device along side the spring bars.

Yours looks something like this Reese model, but not exact:
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Reese/RP66155.html

Thanks, Gary! From looking at the link you sent, it looks like I'm missing the metallic housing for the bar. hat would keep the bars in place, I suppose.

I don't NEED it to tow my trailer, but it'd be nice to use.

You may REALLY  want to use it.  What is the GVWR for the trailer?  What is your tow vehicle?  If you are near capacity of the tow vehicle, the WD hitch really is needed.  If you tow with an F350, it is just nice!

Also, if you click on the Profile icon in the banner, and add your tow vehicle and TT to your signature, it will appear with each of your posts.

Your Best and Safest bet would be to take the whole WD hitch, Trailer and it's parts.. and your Tow Vehicle to a Reece Hitch, or Coleman Dealer and have them show you how to set up your WD hitch... based on your specific Tow Vehicle and Trailer.

There very well could be some adjustments that need to be made to the WD hitch receiver (Ball Pitch Angle) between [ your tow vehicle ], and the sellers.

For the Safety of You And Yours.. it would be Best to do that.

Joe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom