Mini rally in WY with music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
This evening we had an "hors d'ouevres" evening at our lot. Thanks to Marsha, we had a great turnout, with a number of musicians in attendance. One of the guys mentioned that he played tuba with a uke group, and Chris convinced him to drive 'home' to get his instrument.

We had a singer or two join us, but this tuba player really knows how to play! He wants to join me in starting up a musical group here at Star Valley.

Attachments

• Tuba_uke night2.png
    Tuba_uke night2.png
    511.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG951069-3.jpg
    IMG951069-3.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG951071-3.jpg
    IMG951071-3.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 30
A couple of lessons for "next time":
  • The evening failing light was a problem for us looking at the lead sheets (aka music). At first I thought it was just me, but then the tuba player was having trouble seeing the chords on the sheet. We needed to illuminate the music stand.
  • As the sun went down, it got cool, and folks were looking for their coats. A "patio heater" would be nice to have.
  • Most folks didn't appear to know the words of all the songs. We'll have song sheets next time.
  • A couple of times the tuba player commented that he was used to playing some songs in a different key, although he was OK given the fact that I had chords on the lead sheets. If I'd known ahead of time, I could have transposed those songs to a different key, although it may have made them tougher (for me) to play.

I am the queen of knowing the first verse of hundreds of songs but no more! I attend a sing along every few months, and the leader has sheets with words and chords. Mostly old standards and folks tunes since most of us are 50-70. We usually have someone playing spoons for percussion (great fun - wish I could do it!). Sadly we don't have a ukulele.  ::)

Sometimes, all that's needed is the first verse  ;D

The last time I printed a ton of songsheets, nobody wanted to sing  :(

The tuba player stopped by this morning with a draft announcement for the park newsletter - "musical group starting up, contact me or Tom".

Several folks have stopped by to add to the comments received on Saturday about my 8-string Kala uke; It really "fills out" the music, and is my go-to instrument when not playing my banjouke.

I heard today that our neighbor (who couldn't attend on Saturday) used to play the uke and sings. We're going to do a "music night" for him before we leave.

I've been tweaking and rearranging various songs to add to my uke singalong portfolio. Numerous genres, but I really enjoy the kids singalong songs. Should have a good portfolio by the time we get back to WY next year.

There are numerous online sites with lead sheets.

I have numerous fake books at home (not with me in WY), but some of the arrangements leave a lot to be desired.

Back
Top Bottom