Tips on preparing for winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gortex

I'm new to pop-ups (and all campers in general!). I just bought my first trailer last week after a period of lurking these forums for info. We got a great deal on a 2000 Coleman Westlake in very good shape (and I'd like to keep it that way!)

I'm curious about what I ought to do to prepare the trailer for winter. What sorts of regular end-of-season stuff should I be doing?
What should I do to prepare it for 6 -8 months of sitting in the driveway unused?

I'm planning on storing the mattresses, cushions, and curtains in the house for the winter to avoid moisture & rodent issues. I've heard of some people removing the canvass too, but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and we get several feet of snow each year, freezing rain, major winter storms, and it stays below freezing from early December to March most years.

Advice?

Do you live in an area where mice could be a problem?  I would still set up several mouse traps inside just in case and check them once a week for the next 2 months. They can do a job on canvas and anything else they can get their teeth on. Wiring, potholders, towels etc. It would be quite a job removing the canvas so I wouldn't bother.

I've seen mice here on occasion, yeah. Maybe a few traps would be smart!

Would it be a good idea to crawl under the trailer and check for openings they could use to get in? And if I find any, would a can of regular spray foam be effective in stopping them?  (I use the same stuff for gaps in my shed floor, and have never had a problem.)

We had pop ups for many years in a cold climate (Iowa). If you have a water pump, winterizing the system per standard instructions. Remove all food stuff and anything liquid you might keep stored (dish soap for example). We didn't have mice around (lots of cats!), so we didn't do anything special there. I can see the advantage of a few mouse traps. I would also recommend looking at your vent or air conditioner seals. You don't want melting snow to get through any cracks there, and a 2000 is pretty old. We generally had to reseal something every couple of years.

Gortex said:
Would it be a good idea to crawl under the trailer and check for openings they could use to get in? And if I find any, would a can of regular spray foam be effective in stopping them?  (I use the same stuff for gaps in my shed floor, and have never had a problem.)

Yes on both questions. Fill any holes 1/4" diameter. Yes you could use spray foam. You could also stuff the holes with steel wool.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom