Tire age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I received the following note in an email from a forum member. Since I cannot respond to questions sent via email, I've posted the message here so folks can respond if they wish. I'm a little surprised at the reference to 3/4 years for expected tire age.

Here goes the motor home 30' class A was bought 8/06 it was a 05 motor home Goodyear tires 19.5 rim size . I went to campingworld in my home town, thay said that the tires are 2004 year & the motor home tires should be replaced every 3/4 years ! I was there because the left inside tire was low on air . I went to pull it off & see if it had a nail hole & i saw big knott's on the inside of it . We just had a bad ice storm & i could not get it out of my backyard , so it sat for 2 week's . Yesterday i checked the air pressure & it had 35 lbs. in it so i installed air up to 50 lbs. It has duel rear wheels . After doing it the tire blew . Boom ! No damaged to the motor home or myself . Drove it 4 miles to the dealer for warranty. Than that is when thay told me the story about 3/4 years.

Thank's for any input

Wow sounds to me that Campingworld wants to double their tire sales. ;D  Tires begin to age from the date of manufacture (not the date installed).  If taken care of properly, not overloaded or underinflated, they should last around 7 years from date of manufacture which is imprinted on one side of the tire sidewall after the letters DOT.  We replaced our tires between 6 1/2 years and 7 years just because of age.  There was very little signs of wear even after 90,000 miles on them.

Tires on motorhomes usually do not get worn out but die of old age if inflated properly and not overloaded.

The tire mentioned that blew out was probably damaged from setting underinflated for the weight it was supporting.

Trashing tires with a lot of tread left at seven years is bad enough, but 3-4?  Of course, one may hear almost any story at an RV dealership or RV store - or around a campfire for that matter. Owning an RV or working in an RV shop does not automatically impart wisdom.  :-\  And I'll bet that CW does in fact run into a lot of early tires replacements, for whatever reason. Underinflation will certainly shorten the life of a tire and of course there are bumps and grinds from curbs, road hazards, tree roots and those wonderful campground roads.

Tom posted it for me . I want to thank those that have responded to the thread.
                                                                              Don

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjbodjb
Back
Top Bottom