Replacing Flooring Over Diesel Bump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HolidayRambler05

We are currently replacing most of the dirty, old carpet and ceramic tile in our 2005 Holiday Rambler with a vinyl tile. My husband has covered the plywood sub floor with luaun underlayment in preparation. We would love to replace the carpet that covers the diesel bump located at the rear (in the bedroom) as well but worried about how to do that and if the vinyl would stand up over that (does it get too warm from the engine)? Anyone have any experience with doing this. Would appreciate input. Thanks

Most of the time I add carpet to this area. The access cover has some wide gaps which the carpet hides. If you tried vinyl, you would have to add stair nose vinyl trim to the outside edges.

Agree with Ernie re the carpet. When I replace the flooring in ours, I used carpet over the engine hatch "bump" even though the rest of the floor in the bedroom is laminate. It makes a nice tight fit around the hatch cover.

My hatch cover had metal foil over an insulation blanket on the underside to reflect heat, but it was in poor condition. I replaced the foil with a thin aluminum sheet but kept the old insulation.

When you do that , it is a good time to check the latches to see if there are any broken parts. The coach I just completed, Dynasty, one of the "fingers" that hold the cover tight against the gasket was missing. Thus, lots of soot and road debris was filtered into the old carpet.

Good point, Ernie. I also reattached some loose gaskets around the hatch. A bit of soot/road dirt was creeping in that way too. There was a substantial reduction in engine heat in the bedroom after re-doing the floor and fixing up the hatch area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom