Yet another towing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonyshell

I used to have a site book marked where one could put in the various ratings of a two vehicle and trailer to check compatibility?  Anyone seen or have that link?  If not how about the formulas?  Much appreciated.

Currently have an 02 tacoma and tow a 2010 coleman bayside.  My bride is tired of the setup and wants a real refrigerator.  We have our sights on a KZ 2321BHS UVW4790 and GVWR 6000.  I'm leaning towards a 3/4 GM w/ a duramax but also considering a Ford.  I know many 1/2ton trucks are rated for 10K but i just want the extra load capacity.  Budget for the truck puts us in the 2004 range. Wife wanted to trade in or sell the Taco but i cant part with my baby and she's better on gas for my daily commute.

There are several of them available online. Here are a few:

http://towingplanner.com/
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml
http://www.huskytow.com/towing-calculator/

Some ? ton trucks could do the job, but I believe you will be much happier with the ? ton, and still have room to upgrade later. 

Good Luck shopping!

Any take on gas or diesel?  In the gm thats a 6.0gas or the duramax.  We might put 6000miles a year on this truck.  Not going to be driving daily.

The diesel will seem more capable when pulling, simply because it produces the necessary horsepower at much lower RPMs than the gas engine. Horsepower is horsepower, though, regardless of the color of the horse and either will get the job done. I have a preference for a diesel myself.

Just got back from camping this weekend.  Went for a ride in my buddys truck with the ecoboost. Pretty impressive.  Not sure about the longevity.

We have a 10,000lb trailer and we have been up and down some steep mountains with our Dodge 2500 hemi with no issues at all. The mpg can go down to 2 though, but we believe we will save on oil changes, parts and the original purchase was much lower. The truck weighs less so we can go offroad and the CCC is good too!

Happy hunting!

jackiemac said:
we believe we will save on oil changes

I thought that also as I was looking at both gas and diesel.  However when I calculated the yearly costs for oil changes, fuel filter changes, DEF, fuel prices (MPG differences) etc., I only came up with about a $100 yearly difference based on MY estimated yearly mileage.  It seems the recommended oil the 6.4 Hemi (0W-40 Penzoil ) takes is fairly pricey at $8 per quart in bulk compared to the diesel using Shell Rotella (15W-40) at around $3.25 a quart in bulk. However that may possibly change in the future if the 0W-40 oil comes down in price.

jackiemac said:
original purchase was much lower. The truck weighs less so we can go offroad and the CCC is good too!

Now all of that is definitely true.  I got a good deal on my truck so I didn't quite pay the diesel engine premium they list but definitely paid more than the 6.4 Hemi would have cost and who knows if I will ever recover my initial expense.  I couldn't find a 6.4 Hemi other than in the tradesman or power wagon models near me and neither model appealed to me.  The Hemi equipped also does have the weight advantage as you mention and able to carry a larger CCC.  I am limited to a CCC of about 1856 but have to say I love the truck.  Will have to see how well it pulls come the beginning of November.

GO BIG DIESEL, that way when in 4-5 years you decide you want/need to go to a bigger better TT you already have the truck to do it and won't need to upgrade your truck again.

The itch for a diesel got to me. :)  Found an 05 GMC Duramax with 124k.  Now i have to resist driving it every day. :)  Good news is it'll pull just about anything the wife pics out.

Back
Top Bottom