Verizon ripping off customers???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Hoffman

I use to have Verizon's 30Gig plan for $130 per month.  I almost always exceeded the 30G limit by 1 or 2 Gigs.  I could never figure out how I used so much data each month.  I hardly ever watched videos and only read stories on my Kindle for PC on my lap top most of the time. 

May be here is the answer, I got this from Kim Komando today.  Interesting reading.

http://www.komando.com/happening-now/373642/verizon-wireless-ripping-off-customers?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2016-09-20-article-title

Good post. Just got a Verizon tablet for $29 when we changed our plan last week. Wondered why it was so cheap. They make their money off data...

It has a SIM card in it and connects to 4G but I only use it at home with our WiFi so I pulled the SIM card out for fear of it connecting with the 4G instead of WiFi. 

Thanks for the heads up!

Interesting! I have a Samsung S5 and can't find the "cellular" setting. Can anyone help?

I don't know if I would call it a rip off, at least the download booster part.  It is a feature that is on my Samsung phone under "Other Networks".  It is off by default, and when I got the phone I saw it and investigated it by clicking on it.  I decided that I didn't need it turned on.  It very well may have been user error.

I also have a app on the phone called "Verizon Mobile"  that I tap and it gives me instant status of my account which includes my data usage and the amount of days left in my billing cycle. Verizon also sends me emails when I am close to my data limit.

Now that doesn't mean that I don't think that data isn't WAY expensive.  I truly do. Only competition will force the price down. 

SargeW said:
I also have a app on the phone called "Verizon Mobile"  that I tap and it gives me instant status of my account which includes my data usage and the amount of days left in my billing cycle. Verizon also sends me emails when I am close to my data limit.

Now that doesn't mean that I don't think that data isn't WAY expensive.  I truly do. Only competition will force the price down.
Me too!

My Samsung 7 doesn't have this ASSIST setting either.

Wifi Assist is an Iphone feature, so you won't find it on Android phones. There are probably similar settings for allowing or disabling internet access via cell data vs local wifi, but the name and the menu location will vary by phone brand and OS version because the software varies quite a bit. For example, Samsung makes extensive mods to Android, but Motorola not so much.

I was using a WiFi Hotspot from Verizon, I only use a flip phone.  It was a real PIA to find out data usage and to get them to account for the data they claimed.  I had them send me data usage logs and it still didn't make sense.  Some days they say I used 2 gigs and half the day I wasn't even on the computer.

I am not with them now.

I am going back to Yuma late this year.  Who do you use for Data there in Yuma if you don't use Verizon.  I stay in the North part of town close to the Wetlands Park and Verizon was spotty there even with a booster.

On my S5, the option is under Settings - More networks - Download booster.

You can view your data usage by using Applications - My Verizon.

I'm often a bit confused by these complains of "rip off" when it really boils down to users that do not know what they are doing or how to setup their device/phone.  I suppose that is why many auto manufacturers now include an automatic stop feature - for the users that don't know that running into a brick wall at 60 mph is not ideal.

As far as cost goes, it is purely my opinion, but I find it magical that for $140/month I can setup camp and work from the middle of the forest or desert.  I am a full-time employed software engineer working via the Internet and 12Gb/month is enough (but I have to be a little conservative).  Sure, it would be nice if this was $20/month but I have no complaint about the current cost of this amazing capability that was unthinkable just a few years ago.

I've always felt that Verizon has either a glitch in their data billing software or  a network flaw that allows outsiders to steal access and get it billed to an unsuspecting customer account. While its true that some people don't realize how much data they are using, there are far too many reports of inexplicable data consumption, sometimes 10x what could be explained by any "operating system download" or "lots of photos" or the other common excuses. It's been going on or years and it's time somebody got to the bottom of this problem

We have Verizon cell service as well as a mifi card.  Since I'm technologically challenged I read the article and checked both my husbands Droid and my Galaxy J3V.  I could not locate the section on either phone to turn that feature off.

Maybe neither phone has it?

My Samsung Note 4 has it under the "Other Networks" setting.  If you can't find it, try going to the App's section in the settings menu, and type in "download booster" and see if it locates it.

SargeW said:
My Samsung Note 4 has it under the "Other Networks" setting.  If you can't find it, try going to the App's section in the settings menu, and type in "download booster" and see if it locates it.

I couldn't find anything on my husband's Droid but I found "Download Manager" on my Samsung.  I don't see the "download booster" anywhere.

I just found under "advanced calling" on my phone "activate Wi-Fi calling" (use Wi-Fi when the mobile network is not available).  Is this it?  Should it be on or off?

Cant Wait said:
My Samsung 7 doesn't have this ASSIST setting either.

It goes by a different name on some phones.

Some other things that chew up bandwidth:  My phone is set to update apps ONLY when on Wi-Fi, NEVER on Cellular less I manually request the update.. It updates multiple apps every day.

LIVE TILES are now common both on Windows-10 and on Android systems. TURN THEM OFF.

Many people do not know how much bandwidth some things chew up. Plus if you browse the web at all many web pages are heavy into bandwidth wasting bgraphics and what's worse videos.  Avoid them.

Finally some networks (ATT & T-Mobile) handle data limits differently.. On my phone I have
10 Gig a month lmit
up to 20 Gigs of "Rollover" (If I don't use last month's 10 Gig it rolls over)
and if I go over that.... (use the Rollover PLUS the monthly) then it does not Cha-Ching me, it just chokes me (Throttles the data flow)

Now before you all rush out and change plans.. I left out the good old FINE PRINT.. AT&T for example says "No teathering" on the unlmited plan.  Not sure if T-Mobile still offers my plan (Which allowes teathering by the way) since they have made some changes and I'm grandfathered.

I just found under "advanced calling" on my phone "activate Wi-Fi calling" (use Wi-Fi when the mobile network is not available).  Is this it?

No - that just the opposite. Wifi calling uses wifi instead of the Verizon network.

Look through your settings for thing that say "use wifi only" and select Yes or On. Also look for items that may say something like "use wide area" or "use network" to download and turn those off. However, none of this is very important if you are mostly just making phone calls or even texting (without pictures). It's the data (internet) services that can run up the bill if you aren't aware of what you are doing.

Unnecessarily allowing apps access to your device's location services can also use significant data. Wayz is a particularly bad offender, but just about any app that's granted access, especially background access, to your location will increase your draw.
Personally, I'm paranoid about shutting down apps that I'm not actually using. (Also a habit that goes back to the days of DOS and the Apple ii.) I just don't trust apps to stay "dormant" on their own.
I don't know that Android is any less susceptible than other operating systems. Every time I've had unexpected data usage it turned out to be PEBKAC (Problem exists between keyboard and chair).
Verizon does a great job of sending warnings as my data approaches it's limits, both by text and email. Their mobile apps make it easy to check all of my usage both by account overall and by device.

I have zero doubt that there are some erroneous charges buried in Verizon bills - however, I'd stop short of accusing Verizon of "ripping people off".  Face it, understanding how your cellular devices consume data and safeguarding the data you have purchased requires some knowledge of exactly how your devices consume data - as well as a bit of due diligence.

I know lots and lots of folks who are totally clueless as to when their devices are connected via Wifi to a land based connection and when they're burning data they're paying for under their cellular data plan.  Many of them know nothing about how to secure their cellular systems to prevent unauthorized users from leeching off of the data that they pay for.  Many of the folks I know do nothing to monitor their data usage - and are completely surprised when their bill arrives.

I watch my data usage like a hawk.  I virtually always know when I'm riding a "free wifi" connection versus burning data from my cellular plan.  I secure my networks to prevent outsiders from burning thru the data I pay for.  I monitor the status of my cellular use on the Verizon website on a regular basis throughout the month.  I've never run into billing issues. 

Be clueless about your network security, clueless about how your devices consume data ... and then ignore your usage until the bill comes and yes, you may be in for a surprise when your bill comes.  Not managing your assets properly can get expensive - but you certainly can't blame the cellular provider for selling you whatever runs thru your account. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom