Bark collar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henkelphoto

Hi guys!

First off, let me say I'm a newbie. We've only had an a-frame popup up to now, but we are getting rid of that and getting a traditional TT with enough space for us to travel with our two Bichon-Frise dogs. At least that is the plan. However, they are what are called "yap" dogs instead of lap dogs and while its no problem here at home, I'm a bit nervous about taking them out on a trip and them barking at any little thing that might move near our trailer when set up in a campground. It would be very annoying to me and especially to people set up around us.

I think our options are to leave the dogs at home when we travel or use bark collars on them while we travel. I've never used a bark collar before and was wondering if anyone has had success with them.

Thanks!

I had a aunt that had a barker. When she put the collar on him, he was a different dog. I would do for it. I have a dog but luckily, he's not a barker.

We have 2 mini poodles and the female is the barker..tried the citronella spray and vibration/ beeping collar. After a few times of her barking and putting collar on, she realizes.  After 2 or 3 times she is controllable. Now I have them but don't use anymore...try the vibration/ beeping collar..they start soft and as they continue to bark the intensity of beeping then vibration teaches them.
I also tried a 2way radio collar and it works also on my dogs. I bring my pups they do not stay home.

A friend of mine had two Scnauzers that barked at only two things, everything and nothing.  He put bark collars on them and they stopped barking in no time.  But they figures out exactly how much noise they could make befor it would shock them.  So they went from WOOF to grrrrrrrrrrrr.  It became a form of camp entertainment after a while.

Have a friend that used a bark collar on his dog. He only put it on the dog when he didn't want him to bark. It didn't take long for the dog to figure out if he barked with the collar on he got shocked. The battery went dead but it didn't make any difference, if the collar is on his neck he doesn't bark.

Personally I am opposed to any device/training that inflicts pain on the dog, however brief.  There are wonderful positive training methods to teach dogs not to nuisance bark.  You Tube and Google are good places to start.

Hi Gizmo,

I agree with you, but properly used a bark collar doesn't inflict pain, just a noise or slight buzzing. You want to use just enough power to change behavior, not be painful. In fact, if you make it painful, it will most likely cause the dog to bark more, not less. At least that's what I've read on various sites.

A HUGE thank you to the OP for being concerned and aware of the potential problem!  As a starting point, that puts you way ahead of the masses!!

I've seen various types of training collars used with success.

henkelphoto said:
Hi guys!

First off, let me say I'm a newbie. We've only had an a-frame popup up to now, but we are getting rid of that and getting a traditional TT with enough space for us to travel with our two Bichon-Frise dogs. At least that is the plan. However, they are what are called "yap" dogs instead of lap dogs and while its no problem here at home, I'm a bit nervous about taking them out on a trip and them barking at any little thing that might move near our trailer when set up in a campground. It would be very annoying to me and especially to people set up around us.

I think our options are to leave the dogs at home when we travel or use bark collars on them while we travel. I've never used a bark collar before and was wondering if anyone has had success with them.

Thanks!

You would do well by your dogs and to address your admirable concerns by reading this [urlhttps://www.lovethatpet.com/blog/bark-collars-do-they-work/][/url]and other material on dogs barking and training.  What many do not understand about dogs barking is there can be many different reasons for barking and underlying issues which should be addressed.  Collars may in some cases stop barking but does not address any underlying issues causing the barking and may stop healthy barking.  At the very least, if a collar is your choice, I would enlist the help of a qualified dog trainer to determine if a collar is warranted, perhaps offer some strategies to curb the barking and finally correct use of a collar.

Gizmo,

Good website, I've never heard of the "husher". I'll have to look into that. As concerns the bark collar, I would never use one without getting professional training first. Thanks!

henkelphoto said:
Gizmo,

Good website, I've never heard of the "husher". I'll have to look into that. As concerns the bark collar, I would never use one without getting professional training first. Thanks!

You are welcome, best of luck and it is great you are considerate of others in parks you may visit.  As a suggestion, you might try leaving your dogs in the trailer for a short period while you stay out of sight, but close enough to listen and take action if need be.  if you have walkie talkies leave one in the trailer with the trigger taped on. 

We have 2 weiner dogs who think they are king and queen wherever we go/camp. Barking is fun and exciting to them I guess. Ruined more than one trip. Allas the bark collar from Amazon came to the rescue! We bought the rechargeable on that comes with two collars with receiving devices, and a hand held remote. This setup has 3 settings AND strengths. Beebing,vibrating and the least desireable the shocker. Female needs the shocker set on minimal while male hates the vibrater mode. Woeks like a charm!!! Now Polly is as quiet as a mouse just when we strap her collar on. Don't even have to watch her. So I highly recommend these for your sake AND your neighbors camping pleasure.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Have a friend that used a bark collar on his dog. He only put it on the dog when he didn't want him to bark. It didn't take long for the dog to figure out if he barked with the collar on he got shocked. The battery went dead but it didn't make any difference, if the collar is on his neck he doesn't bark.
We use the vibration/beeping collar and it works great! He also knows just how loud he can bark before he gets the vibration. We put it on him when somebody is coming to visit. Other than when somebody is coming to visit he is a quiet dog. On the rare occasion that he barks at another dog we just show him the collar and he will stop. The vibration has 5 levels and will increase in intensity as long as the dog keeps barking. When he stops for 15 seconds it goes back to the lowest level.

Hi,
We had a yapper and just started putting a muzzle on him whenever he started to bark. Worked like a charm. Now we can just show it to him and he quiets down.

Still goes wild when someone knocks, but we can live with that.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
Hi,
We had a yapper and just started putting a muzzle on him whenever he started to bark. Worked like a charm. Now we can just show it to him and he quiets down.

Still goes wild when someone knocks, but we can live with that.

Ernie
Nice!  Good strategy.

I suggest we put a bark collar on the owner.

At home I have 7 neighbors with barking dogs. Lovely. If the neighbors all wore bark collars I think they would soon correct the problem somehow.

If not at least I'd have the pleasure of knowing their dog's barking was bothering them too because as it is now the owners don't care if their dogs bark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom