Bark collar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
chindog said:
I once saw a dog wearing a bark collar getting zapped every time the dog next to him barked.

That should be in the "post a joke" section, I laughed at that one. 

Tough problem and as a dog lover I hope you can sort it easily.  It is considerate of you also, we have been in several campgrounds where people just don't seem to care if their dog barks.

When dogs are left alone their safety must be considered. You don't want to put something on them that may get caught on something and potentially choke or strangle them, especially if there is more than one dog. They can wrestle and get caught in another's collar or muzzle. There have been cases where one dog got a tooth caught in its housemate/playmate's collar and couldn't get released and the collar choked (killed) the dog.

I have a yapper and I found the collar that gives an audible beep, then escalates to a vibration works best. I work part time and would get asked to leave, if he was a nuisance. They don't mind if you leave them, only that they don't cause a disturbance. Many times, I don't even put a battery in, because just putting the collar on, does the trick.

We live next door to a horrible neighbor with 3 barking dogs.... neighbor horrible as they don't do anything with their dogs, so they bark.... We got one of these gizmos for our yard... and now when we take the TT out we have gotten in the habit of packing it in the TT as we have had the unfortunate outdoor time of trying to listen to geese land on the lake, only to listen to neighboring camper that decided to bring their dog or dogs... that bark and bark.... Put this on your table in TT or on table outside and their dog will quit barking. Also, leave on our table when we leave our dog inside, as I don't want her to be barking when we are gone.... there are different versions of this, and they work wonderfully...

http://www.petsafe.net/bark-control

My doggy needs a load of exercise to keep quiet. Walking and playing with dogs can help them tremendously on bark control.

Share the camp with them, long brisk walks.

Don't just show up, lock up the dogs then take off sightseeing for the whole day and leave the other campers to listen to the barking.

I had to do many practice runs to get my pooch to stay home quietly. It helps to have a 2nd person or baby monitor. I would tell him to stay and be quiet, then walk away. Every time he barked I had to come back and correct him, then leave again.

Eventually I was able to actually go somewhere besides making 90 round trips back to correct doggy.

No matter what age of dog, training never stops.

Be sure to include lots of exercise with barky dogs first. This truly does help settle them down.

I once adopted a dog that turned out to be the most unruly dog I've ever seen.
Not only would she bark constantly,she would bolt out of the fenced back yard any time the gate was left open.
As a last resort,I got a shock collar,and it worked.

I did accidentally hit her with the highest setting once when she was heading out of the gate. :-[
She yelped pretty loud,but never again attempted to leave the back yard!

I purchased a invisible fence for my dog. It does the same thing as a bark collar except it starts out as a sound, then a mile shock and progressively increases the closer he got to the buried wire. I have a big yard and I have well over 500' of wiring. I would never be able to train him to stay within those parameters. I think he may have received the shock twice over the last 6 years.

That dog has since passed and now we have another dog and as soon as we get home, the collar will be going on him and we'll train him the same way.

We have had a couple different collars, Garmin with Remote being the best.....after a couple of corrections they get the picture and you can not even turn it on after that.

Now, almost 12 years old, our 65 lb barker was tamed by the citronella collar.  We tried all of the positive approaches, watched videos, read books, tried a vibration collar (non-shock) and nothing else had worked.  She is a stubborn dog, but one of the best dogs I have ever owned.  I would never have used a shock collar on her.  I saw someone shocking their dog for the fun of it, so many times it is indeed the owner who needs the collar and not the dog.

I have used both the bark collar and invisible fence with different dogs. The bark collar was self adjusting for intensity as the dog chooses by not stopping barking. It was used on a German Shepard and we did not shave the neck area. She barked enough about twice to raise the collar from vibrate to shock. On the fence, we set the intensity to audible/vibrate (I can't remember which) for about two weeks. She didn't even like that, but would still challenge the fence. I set the intensity at the lowest setting. After the first shock, she never challenged the fence again. I also went back to the no shock setting later the same day.

Our last three Dobies have all had the shock collar, they ranged in weight from 90 to 132 lbs and responded to a mild shock and usually to just the vibrate. It all depends on the dogs personality, prey instinct and how quickly they learn Usually after a month the collar comes off and is put away. I hate shock collars but it is better than having them eaten by a gator (we live on a gator infested creek) or run over by our backhoe since they all have loved to chase the mower or any other vehicle in they yard. As far a barking I tried the method of going back in and scolding them, it didnt work so a trainer I spoke to suggest to somply ignore him since going back in was giving them the attention they wanted even if it was a scolding. Now they bark for a short time (less than a minute) and lay down or until we leave. As soon as we are not in sight the barking stops.

Walk, walk, walk. Extremely rare to find a dog who complains about too much walking. Just the opposite. Most want more more more.

Moving to a new campground can confuse a dog. Where is the dotted line? Do they protect 20 acres or 20 feet? How defensive and protective should he be?

I mostly travel alone with an active dog. Even though I often arrive dead tired at the next camp, I mostly set up the bare minimum such as level the rig and plug in electricity. Then I take my pooch on a long walk around the campground or park. I do the rest of the set up later.

He loves this. He gets to sniff and do pee-mail. He gets to check out how many other dogs and people are around. He gets a feel for the density that he doesn't own 10 acres and he shouldn't bark at the folks 20 feet away on their site.

After the walk, I generally come back and tether him outside while I putter around with water hookup and rocking chair and so on. He loves to sit in a camp chair with a toy and blankie, so I usually set that up for him .

Whenever possible, try to spend at least 24 hours with your dog before you take off without him for lengthy absences. I see all too often, folks drive in, hook up, walk the dog for 30 seconds then lock him up and leave him alone for hours. The confused dog barks and fusses the entire time. Even worse is when a dog cries and you can hear their severe stress. It's heartbreaking.  Especially true for younger dogs and some that were apparently snatched away from mama way too soon.

Windows. My dog loves to have all the shades up so he has a view from every window. He doesn' t have to guess about what's going on around him, he can see. In my experience, the noisiest dogs in camps seem to be the ones that are hermetically sealed inside with all the blinds and curtains drawn.

Do not stake your dog outside away from you and your family. I've seen this awful scenario too many times by deaf families. They tie the dog up to a tree with 4 feet of rope, then they all sit 20-40 feet away while the dog barks or whines constantly.

The 6 foot leash rule is in effect most everywhere, but 99% of the parks don't mind your dog being tethered on your lot while you are outside with him. So, no, you don't have to tie him up with a 6 feet leash to the picnic table so the poor dog can't move more than 2 inches.

Plan activities with your dog! Why have a dog if you don't enjoy his company?

Take him hiking or fishing or biking or to the dog park if they have one. I taught my dog to play fetch and Frisbee. When we find a dog park or an open area away from everyone else, we can break out the ball or frisbee and play a spirited game to wear him out. My dog has been sightseeing a lot. I try to check ahead to see if doggy can go.

For instance he got to see Niagara Falls and it lifted the pressure off us to hurry up and go check on him. He just went with us and we all had a great leisurely time. Shop owners kept inviting us inside, doggy and all. I wasn't in a shopping mood, but I was surprised at the numerous invitations we received to come on inside and bring the dog.

In many places, you can actually go to a restaurant with outdoor seating and let your leashed dog go with you. Check ahead. This is a great option for travelers with dogs.

Travel with two water dishes and keep both clean and full. One for outside and one for inside.

Spend a little time every day on training. Dogs are never fully trained and it never hurts to keep positive reinforcement going as you train them to be a wonderful pet.

Mine never gets a treat unless he is sitting quietly waiting  for it. So when he is annoying. I just grab the treat bag. He immediately shuts up and sit down, even though I haven't actually offered a treat yet. I've even mixed up his regular food with treats  in a special bag. He seems happy enough to get a variety.

My dog isn't allowed to beg while we eat. But I often do have something set aside for him for later. Like if I make hamburgers, I make him a tiny one and set it aside. After we are through eating, he gets his "begging cup" handed over and he loves this! He also love mac and cheese, so if I make some,  I will put a tiny spoonful in the begging cup. After our dinner, we give him his little treat.

My friends were amazed when they invited me to stay  for dinner. They asked what should we do with your dog? I said, well he will  just sit here next to me and be quiet, if that's OK. My doggy (barely 7 pounds) sat next to me at the picnic table, completely ignoring us while we ate. He already sits at the dining booth in my rig ignoring me while I eat, so even visiting elsewhere he (thankfully) chose to put on his best behavior.

Dogs want to make you happy!  Train them and reward them for that.

Arch Hoagland said:
I suggest we put a bark collar on the owner.

At home I have 7 neighbors with barking dogs. Lovely. If the neighbors all wore bark collars I think they would soon correct the problem somehow.

If not at least I'd have the pleasure of knowing their dog's barking was bothering them too because as it is now the owners don't care if their dogs bark.

X2.  Dogs bark.  Get over it. 

Not trying to high jack this thread but does anyone know of something that works on neighbor dogs that will not affect MY DOG? My dad lives next door with 3 non stop barkers! I've tried in nice ways to tell him what a nuisance they are to everyone with no avail. My mom was the disciplinarian, she passed 3 months ago so it's way worse. I used to ignore it but now I have a new pup who doesn't bark...YET...I'm afraid he will learn from them. Thanks!

Kheren said:
Not trying to high jack this thread but does anyone know of something that works on neighbor dogs that will not affect MY DOG? My dad lives next door with 3 non stop barkers! I've tried in nice ways to tell him what a nuisance they are to everyone with no avail. My mom was the disciplinarian, she passed 3 months ago so it's way worse. I used to ignore it but now I have a new pup who doesn't bark...YET...I'm afraid he will learn from them. Thanks!

http://www.gadgetreview.com/7-anti-bark-devices-to-keep-fido-quiet

My daughter uses one of the sonic devices with her 5 dogs. She says they work.

Kheren said:

Call the police. No need to put up with barking dogs all the time. The police will get tired of the calls and eventually will do something about it like a citation for a noise complaint.

Arch Hoagland said:
http://www.gadgetreview.com/7-anti-bark-devices-to-keep-fido-quiet

My daughter uses one of the sonic devices with her 5 dogs. She says they work.
Thanks I will check it out, I just don't want my dog to hear any annoying sounds.
Rene T said:
Call the police. No need to put up with barking dogs all the time. The police will get tired of the calls and eventually will do something about it like a citation for a noise complaint.
Well it's my dad...and I should add it's never at night or while they're indoors, but as soon as they come outside BAM at my gate barking.

Kheren said:
Well it's my dad...and I should add it's never at night or while they're indoors, but as soon as they come outside BAM at my gate barking.

OOPS. I missed that. Never mind what I said.  :'(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom