Yamaha EF2000iS Portable Generator Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlshunter

Ok guys, watch me answer my own question!!!!
I occasionally use the above generator 2-3x/year maybe and then gets stowed away in the garage,
where in summer it is 100+ and winter 45-50ish.
When I tried to start it last weekend (yeah, on a boon-docking trip, and yes, after sitting in the above-mentioned garage) it took more pulls of the cord than usual and of course choke on.
Elevation about 5800 ft.  After it started, I pushed the chock back in to the normal "off" position,
then it surged and sputtered 2-3 times before finally quitting.  Scratched head.  Tried again...same result 2-3 more times.  Cussed.
The only way it would work is the choke - on the whole time!
So I have done the following:
1)  Cleaned the spark plug which was free of fouling or any oil-grunge, just the usual black powder.
2)  Air cleaner is still clean.
3)  Changed oil.
4)  Cleaned spark arrestor.

My guess is the gas that is in it is 1-2 years old and possibly has some condensation/H2O in fuel now.
Is there a trusted fuel treatment I can add?
Or drain gas?  Then replace with just a splash of fuel to see if it works better?

Am I right?

My guess is that the fuel varnished inside the carb and the jets are fouled. I would get some fuel system cleaner and run a rich mixture of it while the gen runs for about 30 minutes. If that doesn't  work, odds are you may need to have it cleaned out by a shop.  When leaving it sit for long periods of over 30 days, always run the fuel dry, or put a fuel stabilizer in it like "Stabil". 

I will second sarge.. There are two common generator issues,, I've had one of them

Sarge described the first

The second is NOT your problem but it is filling the tank in July and it won't start in January (Unless pre-heated)  This is due to enviormental protection laws which are actually a very good thing but the moral is only buy gas for the genny in the Winter if you live in an area that changes formulas to reduce evaporation.. Or pre-heat.. (A light bulb near the thing or something Just get it up to around 70 degrees and it's fine)

Since your problem is filling in the WInter and it wont' start now that's not the issue however.. I second Sarge's comments. This is one of hte reasons you shoudl run it every month.

I also agree. I have the same generator. What I did a couple of weeks ago is I drained as much gas out of it as possible then I started it and let it run until it died.
I was told by a small engine repair guy one time that if I needed to store it with gas, use High Test and add fuel stabilizer.
I drain all my small engines and run them dry now.
I had a chainsaw one time and it would not start. I tried everything. The gas in it was only about 3 months old so I though that wasn't the problem. WRONG!!! I took it to a repair guy. He dumped the old gas out and put in new gas and it stated right up.

Howdy,

Fuel going bad in storage... I've read about folks using fuel stabilizers like this: https://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-22214-Fuel-Stabilizer-oz/dp/B000B68V6I

We plan on avoiding the entire issue by using a propane generator instead: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FAWMMEY

Cheers,
--
  Vall & Mo.

Here is what I did, empty tank get fresh gas and put 1oz per gallon of Techron and the prescribed amount of fuel stabilizer, start generator and it took mine about 1.5 min and it was running perfect. Keep Techron and Stabilizer in all your jugs and equipment.

SargeW said:
And that Honda 2000 is one of the best gens on the market today.  That dude just WANTS to run!
I have 2 and the same thing happened to one of them. See my fix in another post here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom