Funky Smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albertm1960

Every now and then when I turn on the water in bathroom sink on the cold side it stinks.  almost smells like it coming from tank but not sure how that could be.  Then I thought maybe the faucet is old or lines. But that doesnt make sense either.  And it doesn't happen every time.  I did bleach system and I think it helped but then it comes back.  Shower and kitchen sink is fine. I imagine this is hard to answer but any ideas would be great. thanks

you may need to filter the incoming water, it sounds like some microbes are in the water and they smelling things up.

here is my incoming water filter setup....

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 32
albertm1960 said:
Every now and then when I turn on the water in bathroom sink on the cold side it stinks.  almost smells like it coming from tank but not sure how that could be.  Then I thought maybe the faucet is old or lines. But that doesnt make sense either.  And it doesn't happen every time.  I did bleach system and I think it helped but then it comes back.  Shower and kitchen sink is fine. I imagine this is hard to answer but any ideas would be great. thanks

Did you sanitize the entire system including the fresh water tank and the water heater tank?  Make sure you do everything and let it sit for a few hours before you flush it out. I leave mine sit nearly 24 hours. Don't know if I have to but I just do. Also the toilet lines, washing machine lines, ice maker lines and outside shower.

I bleached everything but bypassed hot water cause I read somewhere you shouldnt put bleach in there.  I have a bypass switch.  I narrowed it down to just the cold side of bathroom sink...just cant figure it. Maybe I forgot that side is all I can think. So will bleach again and see???  But that filter looks great.  Is that easy to install.  I see where water goes in but how did you get it hooked back to camper?  And is it stored in storage underneath?  Will that freeze during winter? Thanks

albertm1960 said:
I bleached everything but bypassed hot water cause I read somewhere you shouldnt put bleach in there.  I have a bypass switch.  I narrowed it down to just the cold side of bathroom sink...just cant figure it. Maybe I forgot that side is all I can think. So will bleach again and see???  But that filter looks great.  Is that easy to install.  I see where water goes in but how did you get it hooked back to camper?  And is it stored in storage underneath?  Will that freeze during winter? Thanks

You have to also do the water heater with the bleach. Also the entire water tank if you haven't done it yet.

White vinegar does make sense...but I did a second bleaching and good so far...thanks

I see a lot of worrying about using bleach in or on an RV, all of it misplaced in my opinion. A 10% bleach/water solution will disinfect most anything and isn't harmful [except for making white spots on your jeans!].

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom