EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Revisiting kitty litter  (Read 1079 times)

oneOFwhat

• ---
Revisiting kitty litter
« on: September 24, 2016, 11:03:46 AM »
I have searched, sorry if I didn't find it.  I know kitty litter has been discussed ad nausea. 

In my sticks and bricks, I used flushable liter.  There is a few different brands made of various materials.  I still have half my bag of wheat hull litter that I am still currently using, but not flushing it in the RV.  I've just been scooping it and disposing of it as if it was any other "normal" litter.  Would it be ok for my blackwater tank, though?  I really prefer the flushable, but obviously don't want to cause plumbing problems.  Am also considering trying the toilet training, and seems like it would be easier to accomplish with flushable litter.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Re: Revisiting kitty litter
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
I would take a small sample of it and put it in a glass of water. Then after a couple of hours, try stirring it and see if it breaks up and dissolves. If it doesn't, I would use it.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 09:01:12 AM »
 ".....and see if it breaks up and dissolves. If it doesn't, I would use it. "

You would René?? I would never use anything that remained clumpy, a great way to encourage a pooh pile or other blockage, it seems to me. I would never put cat litter, no matter the material, into a holding tank system. (We traveled with two cats and clumping litter for quite a few years and used plastic bags from the local grocery store for disposal).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:04:17 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 09:10:57 AM »
I have a great litter box that is called a sifting litter box. Every morning I sift the litter and pour the contents into a plastic bag, like the kind you get at Walmart. Tie it in a knot and put it in the trash. Once a week I change the litter completely. I have three cats so if I only had one cat I could probably change the litter once a month and sift it every third or fourth day.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LUL4L2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

oneOFwhat

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 10:16:15 AM »

You would René?? I would never use anything that remained clumpy, a great way to encourage a pooh pile or other blockage, it seems to me. I would never put cat litter, no matter the material, into a holding tank system. (We traveled with two cats and clumping litter for quite a few years and used plastic bags from the local grocery store for disposal).

I was kind of thinking the same thing about the pooh pile, but was waiting it out. 
Mine doesn't clump all that great.  I haven't yet tried the glass of water test, but I do know that what urine clumps there are when I scoop break up super easily just from my sifting with the scooper.

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 11:36:57 AM »
Kitty litter is made so it doesn't dissolve in water, otherwise the urine would dissolve it. Its made to absorb moisture though, so I wouldn't use it in my tanks.
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 12:10:03 PM »

OOPS. Meant to say I would not use it if it doesn't dissolve. Thanks for picking that up.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Hosted by Over The Network