Revisiting kitty litter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oneOFwhat

I have searched, sorry if I didn't find it.  I know kitty litter has been discussed ad nausea. 

In my sticks and bricks, I used flushable liter.  There is a few different brands made of various materials.  I still have half my bag of wheat hull litter that I am still currently using, but not flushing it in the RV.  I've just been scooping it and disposing of it as if it was any other "normal" litter.  Would it be ok for my blackwater tank, though?  I really prefer the flushable, but obviously don't want to cause plumbing problems.  Am also considering trying the toilet training, and seems like it would be easier to accomplish with flushable litter.

I would take a small sample of it and put it in a glass of water. Then after a couple of hours, try stirring it and see if it breaks up and dissolves. If it doesn't, I would use it.

".....and see if it breaks up and dissolves. If it doesn't, I would use it. "

You would Ren??? I would never use anything that remained clumpy, a great way to encourage a pooh pile or other blockage, it seems to me. I would never put cat litter, no matter the material, into a holding tank system. (We traveled with two cats and clumping litter for quite a few years and used plastic bags from the local grocery store for disposal).

I have a great litter box that is called a sifting litter box. Every morning I sift the litter and pour the contents into a plastic bag, like the kind you get at Walmart. Tie it in a knot and put it in the trash. Once a week I change the litter completely. I have three cats so if I only had one cat I could probably change the litter once a month and sift it every third or fourth day.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LUL4L2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

Alfa38User said:

You would Ren??? I would never use anything that remained clumpy, a great way to encourage a pooh pile or other blockage, it seems to me. I would never put cat litter, no matter the material, into a holding tank system. (We traveled with two cats and clumping litter for quite a few years and used plastic bags from the local grocery store for disposal).

I was kind of thinking the same thing about the pooh pile, but was waiting it out. 
Mine doesn't clump all that great.  I haven't yet tried the glass of water test, but I do know that what urine clumps there are when I scoop break up super easily just from my sifting with the scooper.

Kitty litter is made so it doesn't dissolve in water, otherwise the urine would dissolve it. Its made to absorb moisture though, so I wouldn't use it in my tanks.

Alfa38User said:

OOPS. Meant to say I would not use it if it doesn't dissolve. Thanks for picking that up.

Back
Top Bottom