Price at RV show too good to be true???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane100

My wife and I went to the RV show in January, and liked the 2007 Dutchmen Grand Junction model 35TMS.  This price WITH propane generator was $49,995, plus a long list of standard equipment.  I always did well in the past buying used big ticket items rather than new.  When I checked the price of similar used models, it seemed like I would be better off buying new.  A 2005 35TMS was $47,500.  There were two 2006 models (34TRC) for over $61,000.  There was one 2005 36 foot model for $37,900, but the ad didn't say exactly which model it was, and it didn't include a generator like the new one.  This list on the 2007 was over $70,000 (I think), but do people really pay that?  That would explain the high prices of the used models, but I would rather wait for the RV show when I'm ready to buy and get a big discount.  I also understand a used would probably come with extras - sewer hose, elec cord, etc. - but not enough to justify the price.  Am I missing something?

This list on the 2007 was over $70,000 (I think), but do people really pay that?
Some do, especially newbies, but most do not. I would expect to get 20-25% off a $70k trailer, so somewhere in the low 50's would be a good price. Show specials usually aren't that good of a price, though, unless the price you quoted was after some serious bargaining.  It does kind of make you wonder, doesn't it?

Grand Junctions look great, but I have never been impressed with Dutchman products. Most of them are built solely for a  low entry price and there is too much cheap materials and construction to suit me. A Grand Junction might be ought to be built to higher standards, but I've never inspected one up close. 

IMHO, I have never thought the show specials were anything more than hype. Figuring the percentages of discounts shown as "Show Specials", they are usually around 15% - 20% off MSRP. I have never had a problem getting 24% or more discount and have never made my deal at a show. Besides I personally would never buy an RV that 20,000 people had walked through, pulling knobs and pushing buttons....

We got ours a couple of months ago, and got 30% off of MSRP. But it was a week an a half of haggling over everything and I finally gave them a number and did not call anymore, two days later they contacted me and we made the deal. I went to some shows and was not real impressed with the so-called "show special prices", they were no different than what most have on their "internet special" prices.

Show specials are generally 10-15% off MSRP. No big deal and a price you can have anywhere, anytime, just by asking.

Yes, RV sales are off several percentage points, at least compared to the recent  boom years. Decreased sales volume does not necessarily mean sales are bad enough for a dealer to sell near cost, but it certainly incents him to accept lower offers than he might otherwise.  Janpaul's technique of making a low offer and walking away remains the best negotiation method I know of. They nearly always call you back, if not to accept your bid at least with a better offer of their own. Your feet are your best negotiating tool.  ;)

What Gary said. It's a buyers' market. They want your money and know how much a a profit they have to make, but you know what you want and how much you are willing to pay for it. Hopefully you can find a common ground and both walk away happy with the deal you've struck. One of the worst things you can do is to "Ooh!" and "Aah" within earshot of the salesman; he knows he's got you by the short hairs, and will be that much harder to negotiate with. 

That's exact what I've been saying on other threads like this for a long time.  Only way to deal is take the Bull buy the Horns and be prepared to have cash in hand when you do.,  Never let them finance the thing either.

I wouldn't buy one, Dutchmen does not build a great fver for that money I can think of plenty of other ones to buy that are built better and last longer.

The propane generator sounds nice, but they use a LOT of propane and you may find yourself searching for fill stations frequently - depending on your usage. Also the 35 TMS floorplan I saw had a center island, but no protection from slopping water and other sink stuff on the floor. I'd think long and hard about that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom