2016 lifted Jeep Wrangler Unlimited towbar options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skyward guy

So, we've just moved from an Airstream to a class A and now I'm replacing my lifted Ram 2500 series for a new 2016 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon hard rock we are lifting 3.5 " and throwing 37's on.  We are putting a custom bumper on the front.

Has anyone done this on a JK and know the best tow kit set up for easy on and off and minimal asctetic distraction on the base plate side. I'm leaning toward roadmaster, with an Air Force one braking system.

Any advice is appreciated

I went with the Blue Ox towbar rated at I think 6500 ibs. Could of gone beefier but the towbars themselves with base plate are kinda pricey for me after buying the 2012 Sahara unlimited model. Anyway the BO is a dream hookup and disconnect. Love it. I also went with the magnetic trailer lights which are simple to throw on. Did not want to fuss with the electric side, and the RV dealer wanted about 450 for the job. NO Way!! Took care of it for 65 bones from Amazon.

Several members on here are big Jeep enthusists, so you should get quite a few opinions.  Here is mine.    I put on a Rockhard bumper with winch plate built in, and tow hooks that mount on the front.  If the bumper doesn't allow for that option, I recommend a Currie baseplate for your tow points.  Another member prefers to trailer tow his Jeep with 37's on it.  You will probably need a raise hitch to flat tow if that is your option. 

For the tow bar and braking system, many of us use the Ready Brute aluminum tow bar with integrated braking system.  Lots of choices out there.  Put the year of your Jeep in the comments, it will help to focus suggestions for options. 

I also use the Blue Ox, Aventa model I think, 10,000 lb rated unit. I have a 2013 JKU Sahara and got the LoD full width front bumper. Nice thing about LoD is they don't charge any extra to put whatever tow tab attachments you need at no extra charge. I use the brake Buddy breaking system and have for the last three vehicles I have towed.

Attachments

• bumper640-480.jpg
    bumper640-480.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 23
Blue Ox as above. I had the tow brackets installed to the bumper and it has worked for 30, 000 plus miles. My tj has the same set up.

Ernie

I found this option. Has anyone had any experience with using theses to mount a tow bar too?
https://www.rubitrux.com/maximus-3-jeep-wrangler-jk-tow-loops.html

They would be used with these.
http://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates/Roadmaster/RM-035-1.html  8)

Those look like they would work fine. I assume that you would use them with the stock bumper?  The pic shows them with a pretty fancy winch bumper, so verify that they would still work with your intended set up.

My Jeep is a 2011 but pretty much the same setup as you have.

I use a Roadmaster Sterling towbar but I didn't find ANY base plate brackets that I liked and they all seemed to detract from the aesthetics of the Jeep and the front bumper that I built.  I opted to build my own towbar mount crossmember that resides slightly below the bumper as well as behind the bumper so that it does not encroach my approach angle at all.  I think it looks great and is quick and simple to hook up and disconnect.

I also utilize the Roadmaster Tow Defender shield as well as some custom fabricated flaps that reside between the fender and the bumper to fill the gap where the tires were throwing rocks/debris through.

I thought I had pictures here but I could not find them upon a quick search. 

Here is a link to another thread in which I show my crossmember as well as the Tow Defender.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/new-jeep-and-new-tow-system-254834-2.html

Here is also my Jeep build thread showing the fabrication of the removable flaps for towing.  They remove quick and can be stored out of the way easily yet really have cut down on my tires throwing rocks and debris up on the back of the coach.  I think it is on page 7 that shows the flaps.
https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?99822-ZMotorSports-2011-JKUR-Build-Thread/page7

On edit I must say the rock guards look rather hideous when installed but once removed the bracketry is completely undetectable.  Still much better than rock chips on the back of the coach.

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom