Pros and cons of Grand Design 374th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clcupp

Wife and I are looking into purchasing a Grand Design Solitude 374th. This will be our sole place to lay our head. (becoming full timers) Any pros and cons on this 5th wheel toy hauler would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Grand Design has a solid reputation and i really like them but they didnt have the design i need for my current needs , i have aVoltage and just love the versatitily of a toy hauler. my next hauler i will consider a GD  but for now im happy with what i have

I don't know of any problems with the GD, I did look hard at them once.  I would just say make SURE you have enough truck for that sucker, they can be really heavy loaded up.  I had added a generator and a washer/dryer to mine, and that puts some serious weight on the pin.

We are planning to full time and have also looked at GD.  Very nice units, they seem to have a good reputation, but have decided against because they seem to be installing the traditional RV air conditioners as opposed to the "whisper quiet" residential style air conditioners.  This is important to us as for a full time unit.  The traditional AC's are quite noisy.  Something to consider.

Gizmo said:
they seem to be installing the traditional RV air conditioners as opposed to the "whisper quiet" residential style air conditioners.

I am not really sure what that is, please enlighten me.  I do know that Coleman recently changed the design of their AC units to a "low profile" design.  That has been a disaster, as the fan blades that they used made the unit sound like a jet taking off.  They eventually changed the fan blade design, which helped, but they are still louder than the original. Please specify which units you are speaking of.

SargeW said:
I am not really sure what that is, please enlighten me.  I do know that Coleman recently changed the design of their AC units to a "low profile" design.  That has been a disaster, as the fan blades that they used made the unit sound like a jet taking off.  They eventually changed the fan blade design, which helped, but they are still louder than the original. Please specify which units you are speaking of.

I cannot recall specific brands of the units I have been in although my current TT has a Coleman.  Every unit I have had the opportunity to experience, including a Grand Design unit we walked through that had the AC running, with the traditional air conditioners has been considerably noisier than the residential style units I referred to.  While it may be true that a fan design was a problem on Coleman, the major difference is the design difference of the two, where the residential style has ducts running through the trailer with the returns.

My Phaeton has the ducted return air vents on one side,  and the discharge vents on the other so it is amazingly quiet. However, the newer units with the un-modified fan blades are a real nuisance.  This applies to the Coleman Mach 8 Low Profile AC units.  Being parked next to one is a real PITA.

Bumping this thread. Anyone have experience with this toy hauler?  A friend is looking at one. Would also be interested in learning about similar floor plans.

Back
Top Bottom