Computer Guru - USB Driver Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inscop

Alpine, California up the hill a bit east of San D
This has zip to do with RV's but I have taken note that there are several really sharp people on here who give good advice on computers.  This is my issue:

Windows 10, USB device not recognized error.  So far, I have checked for updates on all drivers via the device manager.  I tried deleting all drivers and doing a restart, but it seemed like as soon as I deleted a driver, it popped back on there.  I am trying to ensure all my documents are backed up to my mass storage device prior to buying a new machine, but having no luck in getting it (or any other drivers) recognized.

Replies should be similar in nature to the Dummies books.

This is when I miss Ned!  Not taking anything away from our other computer guru's, but he was good!  Stand by for other advice on your issue.

What device is not being recoginized..  I get ths from time to time on my cell phone, unplug, re-connect, works fine.

I also can not get the original download cable for my Glucose meter to work... (A new cable with different electronics works fine) Nor can I get the programming cable for one of my 2-way radios to play nice.. (The cable from the glucose meter.. Yup, does the trick, works with the radio as well)

There is no fix for the old cable, company that made it (And this may be your problem as well) never released a Win-10 Driver.

inscop said:
This has zip to do with RV's but I have taken note that there are several really sharp people on here who give good advice on computers.  This is my issue:

Windows 10, USB device not recognized error.  So far, I have checked for updates on all drivers via the device manager.  I tried deleting all drivers and doing a restart, but it seemed like as soon as I deleted a driver, it popped back on there.  I am trying to ensure all my documents are backed up to my mass storage device prior to buying a new machine, but having no luck in getting it (or any other drivers) recognized.

Replies should be similar in nature to the Dummies books.

The latest update from MS should fix that USB driver problem.
It came out of the so-called "Anniversary Update" a couple of months ago. I fought with it for a while this summer. It helps if you can find a place to get a good wired ethernet connection to let the update complete without interruption.

What brand of glucose meter is it?  If it's a LifeScan Verio you need to download a new driver from www.lifescan.com and install it, then plug the meter in.

It has a bad habit of reverting to the old drivers supplied by Microsoft.  When that happens simple delete the device in device manager and reboot.

The market was flooded with counterfeit Prolific USB/Serial converters and Prolific changed their drivers and the fake chips mostly don't work anymore.

I doubt it too. These things have a way of spreading to many, and most won't think of asking a larger community for a solution. Let us know what happens.

Have you tried on Google a simple research to find the Windows 10 drivers for your "MASS backup device  ;) "  ?
Or, why don'y you buy a MASSIVE 64 or 128 GIG FLASH DRIVE KEY for your MASSIVE DATA and make a updated backup before you buy your new machine !

p.s. you should never delete drivers from your computer, they might be used by other different softwares that you are not aware of.

The Anniversary Update did not seem to do anything for me, but I may have stumbled on to the issue.  I recently added a web cam to facilitate my Chinese lessons and I think it may have had a conflict with other USB apps.  We'll see if I get a back up tonight.

8Muddypaws said:
What brand of glucose meter is it?  If it's a LifeScan Verio you need to download a new driver from www.lifescan.com and install it, then plug the meter in.

It has a bad habit of reverting to the old drivers supplied by Microsoft.  When that happens simple delete the device in device manager and reboot.

The market was flooded with counterfeit Prolific USB/Serial converters and Prolific changed their drivers and the fake chips mostly don't work anymore.

If you are talking to me my issue is resolved.  and it's not Prolific that was being counterfitted it is FTDI, that too was not my issue..The Issue is the original cable was a Prolific, showed up as PROLIFIC, but Prolific did not write drivers for Windows 10 and the legacy driver which everyone says works.. DOES NOT at least not with my cable

The Solution:  Lifescan sent me a genuine FTDI acable.. That worked till In installed the cable for a chinease 2-way radio. Driver confilct prvented both from working.. I finally un-installed both and re-installed JUST the Lifescan FTDI cable. which works with the meter perfectly, and with the radio as well. No need for the chinese cable.

Everyhthing is working here, and has been for some time save for the one driver conflict, and that was easy to fix.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom