Narrowly avoided financial disaster today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
It finally happened!  I got a cell phone message today that informed me that the IRS was about to file a lawsuit against me charging me with tax evasion, and this was my last chance to respond!  All I had to do was return their call right away and give them my Social Security Number, date of birth, and 2 credit card numbers (to prove my sincerity to resolve the problem.  I am so glad that I was able to catch this problem early 8)  This could have been disastrous! ::)

So really, it is unfortunate that these scammers are still out there.  I Googled the number, and it came back to some cell phone registered to a female in Bath, New York.  I went on the web site for the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration  https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/  and filed a claim for Scam Impersonation.  It took less than 5 minutes to file the report on line. 

Be aware folks, these fools are still out there. 

Better yet - if you turn all your financials over to me I will show you a spot way back in the woods where you can hide for the rest of your life. :)

Thanks for the link.  I have gotten several of those lately, which I have of course ignored.  The next one I get I will be making use of the link you provided.

Thanks Marty,,, the scammers are really getting sophisticated, as I got sucked in to one that was supposed to be my local cable company. It looked so real that I clicked on the link and then knew immediately that I screwed up.  I'm still waiting for my bank accounts to be drained.

Even the phone number they used is a scam.. THey fake it too.  I do wish the government would put forth the effort to catch these crooks but they consider each incident independently,  And on that basis it's petty crime. But back in the old days there was a TV show (Racket Squad) and as the star explained.. These scammers illegally relieve honest citizens of more money every year than all the bank robbers, and other Armed robbers and more.. it is a MULTI BILLION DOLLAR business and it needs to be put away.

This scam has been widely publicized in newspapers, news magazines, on the Internet, etc. for at least 2 years or more.

Yep, I didn't answer the phone either. I rarely do, unless the number is in my contact list, or I have initiated the contact, I let all of them go to voice mail.  Only about 1% will actually leave a message.  This one was a voice mail.  I have heard of many of these scams before, and do to my suspicious nature, never believe anyone that cold calls me. This was the first time anyone has actually left me a message though. 

I have tried to get rid of my voice mail box but the carriers won't let me. So I am filling my voice mail box so that no one can leave me a message.

RoyM said:
::) That is a little extreme.
No it is not extreme. About 95% of the voice mail messages I get are a waste of my time. Someone with a wrong number when I would not answer the phone or a telemarketer. Anyone who actually knows me knows that to get ahold of me just send me an email. I hate the phone and don't spend much time talking on it.

SeilerBird said:
I have tried to get rid of my voice mail box but the carriers won't let me. So I am filling my voice mail box so that no one can leave me a message.

It's really simple, just change your greeting on the voice mail message. I used to have a spare phone that was for outgoing only, so I set up voice mail with strange greetings that prevented messages and seemed to prevent weird calls altogether.

Such as:

"Voice mail box service has  been cancelled for this number. Good bye!"

"At the tone, please leave your credit card number, expiration date and 3 digit security code"

"You have reached a nonworking number!"

"The number you have dialed is no longer in service"

"The number you have dialed is overseas and you will be charged fourteen dollars per second for calling this number."

"You must enter a pre-assigned nine digit code to access this voice mail messaging system"

"If you would like to leave a message, a $10 surcharge will appear on your next bill."

"Please hold. Your call will be answered in the order it was received. There is currently a three hour and twenty-two minute estimated wait time."

"This mail box is full and can not receive messages. Good bye and good riddance!"

Howdy DMM,

DearMissMermaid said:
It's really simple, just change your greeting on the voice mail message. I used to have a spare phone that was for outgoing only, so I set up voice mail with strange greetings that prevented messages and seemed to prevent weird calls altogether.

Such as:
(...)

Lol! This is the best *ever* :) both in practical advice as well as laughing value! :-D  :) ;-)

Seriously, it should be pinned!

Cheers,
---
  Vall.

I recorded a "out of service message" beginning with the three tones to my answering machine, then set to answer after 3 rings. The message comes ona and repeats for 4 times. If they would like to stay on for that long it will take a message. Family members or friends know to call us on cell phone because we are not home. I really don't know why my princess (DW) insists on the house phone but "what can ya do".

Robo calls have diminished to almost none and give me money calls just hang up.

Cheers

I bet this scammers and phone solicitors hate caller ID. I wish there was a way to send something back on there phone that would make it useless. What good does it do to be on a do not call list you still get them. My MIL is 92 and not great health, so the other night we are in bed and at 10:30 we get a call ,no caller id on the bedroom phone, which scares the hell out of my wife because nobody calls us at that time, it is a guy telling my wife she has a virus in her computer. Boy did he get an ear full even hung up on my wife. Everybody we know knows we would be in bed at that time so the only call you are going to get is a bad one, just makes you mad that they scare the hell out of you.

speaking of scams..

Watch out for an email from Fed Ex saying they attempted to deliver a package.

do not open the blue highlighted link,  it's a virus.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom