Rehearsal for upcoming uke concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We're home from our summer sojourn, and I'm ready to play catch-up with Delta Strummers ukulele practice for our October 21st concert at a local Del Web community. I had copies of our music lead sheets on our trip, and I was able to get some practice in while aboard the coach. We'll probably have 50 players at the concert; Not bad for a bunch of old fartes  ;D

I'll be playing two, or possibly three, ukes: My 8-string Kala, my Luna banjo uke, and my 4-string concert Fluke.

Didn't realize how much I missed the sound of my banjo uke the last few months; Looks like I need to take it along on the next sojourn. It will be interesting to hear how the banjouke and the tuba sound together.

A mixture of songs from several genres, including folk, blues, pop, R&B, pop ballad, rock & roll, mento, Hawaiian, patriotic, show tunes, & gospel. Two of my arrangements (Hawaiian & patriotic) in the program and, as usual, I close the show with a patriotic solo.

Come on over, and we'll feature you as a lead player.

Only one of my arrangements (Hawaiian) in the program ...

I can't count  :-[ Two of my arrangements (one Hawaiian and one patriotic) made the cut.

It was really good to get back to uke band practice last evening. Although I'd played/practiced while we were away the last few months, playing in sync with the band needed a little adjustment. We need more work on a couple of the new-to-us numbers; If we don't/can't play/sing them well, they'll be dropped from the program. Only three rehearsals before show time.

Our MD had the audio system set up with various "instrument input leads" and a mic. He encouraged soloists to use the mic so they "could be heard". When I stood up to close the show, he said "you don't need a mic"  ;D

Two rehearsals to go. Last night the maestro focused on several numbers that needed some work, and he did a good job of cleaning them up and whipping us into shape. Tuesday evenings are always great therapy. Next week we'll run the full show, with a guest bass player joining us.

Tuesday's full-show rehearsal had some rough edges. But, as I've seen many times, our Music Director will pull us out of the hole at next Tuesday's final practice, and the band will rise to the occasion on the night.

Monday I visited the Doc with a sore throat, and he verified a sinus infection and inflamation in the throat. I made it through a couple of singing events on Tuesday - leading the singing at our retired guy's lunch, our Tuesday evening show rehearsal, and my closing solo. The MC at our luncheon introduced me with "and now the velvet tones of ..."; I took the mic' and said "they're not so velvet today, more like a rasp"  :(

Here's hoping the antibiotics will do their job over the next week. The show is a sellout, so nowhere to hide  :-[

Survived another one. Approx 50 Delta Strummers performed for a packed venue, and an appreciative audience last evening. Demonstrating the ability to play numerous genres, and the ability to pick notes (in addition to strumming), were among the goals of the performance. We had two relatively new (to the band) guitarists playing 12-string instruments, and a guest bass player. Several uke soloists, vocal solists, and breakout groups added variety, and 'novelty' instruments (banjoukes, harmonica, gut bucket, Jews harp, washboard, and accordion) added both interest and levity.

There was an infectious energy in the band and this was reciprocated by the audience. I always get a lump in my throat when the audience stands during the closing patriotic solo.

Time to start rehearsing for Christmas season performances.

We've received numerous unsolicited kudos for last evening's Delta Strummers performance. Here's one email I received  :-[

"The performance was amazing, exceeding all our expectations. ... We already looked at the Delta Strummers website for the next concert so we can take grandma and grandpa ... I got tears in my eyes at the end when you sang God Bless America ..."

Another lump in my throat when, as I walked back to my seat after singing God Bless America, audience members reached out to shake my hand and thank me. Oh gosh, I didn't know what to say to them!

Someone snapped this pic of the flyer/ad in the lobby of the venue for Friday's concert. It's the first time we've been advertised as a "sellout"! Chris and another lady were handling the check-in, and they were running around at the beginning of our performance, trying to seat late/additional audience attendees.

Attachments

• SSIV-sold_out_cropped_sm.jpg
    SSIV-sold_out_cropped_sm.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom