Weight of a 40 Foot Diesel Pusher?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have one to weigh yet. But thanks for the suggestion.

I was hoping somebody here who owned one would chime in with their size and weight to give me an idea.

There's a legal line at 26,000 lbs - above that weight you're supposed to have an enhanced drivers license in many states.  Many of the larger desel motorhomes top out at or near that weight so they can be legally driven with a standard drivers license.

Howdy DearMissMermaid, the numbers have increased over the years.  Mine (details in sig) has a gross weight of 34,000 lbs.  The 2017 Dutch Stars are up in the 47,000 lb range.

There's a legal line at 26,000 lbs - above that weight you're supposed to have an enhanced drivers license in many states.  Many of the larger desel motorhomes top out at or near that weight so they can be legally driven with a standard drivers license.

I think nearly all DPs are well above 26k these days, and have been for some time. Even the 36 ft Jayco Seneca Super-C (front diesel) is over that (28k GVWR).

40-foot diesel pushers are all going to fall in the 30,000 to 34,500 pound range. That's all you can get on a 2-axle chassis.

Lou Schneider said:

I'm not sure if that is the right term for driving a heavy vehicle.

I have an Enhanced Drivers License - But it PROVES I'm a US citizen and I can drive to Canada with no passport and just my
EDL and get into that country and more importantly get back into the USA.

40-foot diesel pushers are all going to fall in the 30,000 to 34,500 pound range. That's all you can get on a 2-axle chassis.

I don't doubt that the 2-axle portion of the above is accurate, many 40' DP's are now more than two axle and weigh considerably more than this.  Here is one example (47k-49k pounds for the 40xx models (40')):
http://www.newmarcorp.com/motor-coaches/diesel/dutch-star/specifications/

It really depends on the make/model and especially year.

There's a legal line at 26,000 lbs - above that weight you're supposed to have an enhanced drivers license in many states. 

I was curious so I spent just a couple minutes researching.  I found this website which has done a nice job summarizing the info.  I cannot vouch for its accuracy but I spot checked a couple states and it was correct.
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

As long as we are talking about 40' motorhomes weighing over 26,001 pounds and towing less than 10,000 pounds. I believe the following is an accurate summary:

There are two states that require a Commercial license for people operating RV's over 26,000 pounds - Hawaii & Washington DC.

There ten states that require a non-commercial class A or B for operators of RV's over 26,000 pounds - Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, North Carolina, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, South Carolina, and Wyoming. Additionally, New Mexico requires a non-commercial class E license for the operator.  It appears that a knowledge test is about all that is required to get this license but I have little doubt that this varies by state (TX requires knowledge test and driving test).

The closer I look at the details... the harder it is to summarize. :-(  As always regarding anything "legal" in nature - better review the details of YOUR jurisdiction and talk the appropriate folks there.

Your list is way out of date or?? Texas, for example, requires a class B and does both written and road tests.

Ernie

Average:
40' feet is 41,000 lb (GVWR)
45' feet is 50,000+ lb (GVWR)

Most all stated as of 2018 are based on the DOT Gross Vehicle Weight rating = (GVWR) and not what the scale weight is of your unit.

other then a few like FL that are exempt from weight and Length.

Most all states except your home state drives license to drive your RV as a guest. Even if you have a Non-commercial license, its good.
(Its best to check that your not over the length of the state your driving threw.. (ie: Dont try to take triples in to a state that only lets you pull doubles or singles)

Our unit is physically 40? from end to end, and it has a GVWC of 32,000. Our actual weight, last time we weighed it, was about 800 pounds under that with full fuel and fresh water tanks. We will weigh more now since Kevin finished the solar install. We intend on weighing it again when we pick it up after Christmas. I live in Iowa, and no enhanced license is required here.

My 40 footer GVWR was 36,600.  Some are less, around the 32,000 UTTransplant cited, and a few are more.  42-43 footers tend to be in the 40k arena, and 45 footers from near 50k to 60k+.

My 45' 2007 Beaver was 50,000 lbs, while my current 2016 Newmar Ventana 38' unit is 36,600. The Beaver was heavier than many partly because of all the solid wood in the cabinets -- heavy stuff.

Back
Top Bottom