EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: AT&T looking toward eliminating Direct satellite TV by 2020  (Read 10381 times)

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
AT&T looking toward eliminating Direct satellite TV by 2020
« on: September 27, 2016, 03:24:35 PM »
Saw this posted on another forum.  You may want to hold off upgrading to that new expensive satellite system...

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/blog/techflash/2016/09/report-at-t-has-set-a-timeline-to-phase-out.html
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Smith

• ---
Re: AT&T looking toward eliminating Direct satellite TV by 2020
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 03:49:15 PM »
I planned on getting another receiver for the trailer next year to use while doing the campground host thing. Guess I won’t now. I’ve never liked Directv in spite of signing up twice in the last 16 years. This reinforces my feelings.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 28BH

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 03:53:57 PM »
It seems to say they intend to make streaming the primary platform, but not necessarily eliminate satellite. Included in the story is this quote:

“There’s going to be segments of the population that are going to continue to use satellite for a period of time to come”

On the other hand, a substantial reduction in satellite subscribers can only lead to a reduced investment in that medium. Satellites are expensive to launch and maintain, and it doesn't bode well for pricing if the subscriber database is small.

AT&T is already known for focusing on densely populated markets and giving short shrift to geographically dispersed users. Streaming via wireless media makes sense in dense markets, but few carriers build the infrastructure to deliver it in rural areas. As RVers already know...
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:55:21 PM »
A receiver isn't expensive, and you can lease it from DTV is you want. I just wouldn't spend a bunch of money on a fancy dome or automatic open-face dish.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 05:54:01 PM »
That's pretty crazy.  For many people that live in rural areas, DirecTV satellite is the way to go.  I am in a rural area, and even though new stuff is going up all around us, AT&T is very haphazard in how they provide service here.  Very helter skelter and those that do get any kind of AT&T service are about half and half on the reliability.  I sure would hate to lose it after being with them for over 10 years now.  Especially if they can't deliver anything better than what they have so far.  Which to my house has been nothing!
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 08:13:59 PM »
I think AT&T is playing the numbers game.  They would rather spend their efforts and dollars on highly packed urban areas that have lots of subscribers, instead of rural areas that have few paying customers.  It will be interesting how this shakes out.
Marty--

BobNSam

• ---
  • Travel/golf/reading/bridge in any order
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 08:43:18 PM »
This may turn into another fine example of where the guv'ment (SEC) didn't do their job when they let AT&T buy DirecTV. >:(
2017 Newmar Ventana LE
2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ
Road master tow stuff
DirecTV with Genie/Trav'ler Antenna
2+2 USAF Retired (2IDGITS)

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 09:04:22 PM »
It'll be interesting to see what Dish does with this announcement. It might be a good marketing opportunity to boost satellite subscriptions in the near term, while waiting for wireless technology to catch up with the needs of widespread streaming. Combined with Sling, they can grab the best of both worlds in the interim. There will be plenty of disenfranchised DTV subscribers that don't have high speed broadband available that will be looking for a new TV programming "home".
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 10:01:22 PM »
I think this is a very astute move on their part.  If you haven't heard the term 'cord cutters' you've been living under a rock.  Cord cutting has cut into their subscription base in a huge way already.  And the trend is accelerating.  HBO offers their programming via HBO Now, a streaming service.  Other premium channels will follow suit soon if they haven't already.  There are dozens of streaming boxes on the market, Roku, and Apple TV come to mind but there are dozens of others.  I have four different Homebrew streaming boxes, one of which is based upon a $35 Raspberry Pi computer.  The software is free.

Streaming is going to be the primary method of content delivery long before 2020.  In my house it's already more than 50% of what we watch.  And when we're on the road it's more like 80% because I download full seasons of programs to take with us on $39 hard drives.

The times they are a-changin'.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

john owens

• ---
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 10:10:15 PM »
I quit Direct TV then Time Warner a few years ago...Dish is the current company to handle our TV needs..and with the 2K automatic sat dish on our rig I hope they are here for awhile.......
2011 Winnebago 37F Class A  2012 Unlimited JK 2001 HD roadking  1964 Manx 1641cc buggy 1985 22'Lazy Daze Class C 2007 Chaparrel 26' deck boat..Thats all folks!!

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 10:34:47 PM »
When 5G wireless rolls out then need for satellite connection diminishes, if they really don't count Directv streaming against the data limit.

I just hope I don't have to replace the Travelr dish in the next few years. Still this won't be great for RVers because there area lot of places today that don't have good 4g connections and therefore probably won't have good 5g. The good side is you won't have to fight the trees for satellite view.
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 06:32:17 AM »
Well.. I'm not all that upset over the loss of DirecTV.. In days of old DISH offered DNS, 5 different cities you could choose from, But it turns out they were a bit free with the DNS accounts (Distant Network Service), I might add DirecTV is no less free and easy with the accounts.. But let me continue

Dish got sued, Settled with ABC, CBS and so on all but FOX, FOX refused to settle.  Turns out one of the major owners of FOX also held major interest in DirecTV so he was feathering his own nest.. now AT&T owns Direct (So my complaint against them is hitory) but Fox is still un-American. (Primary stock holders are foreign interests)

I suspect Dish network will continue for many years if AT&T pulls the plug on DirecTV and converts it to a internet network.

This will make life somewhat easier for us here in the forum because now when people have issues with their Sat TV we have to ask Dish or Direct. and when AT&T pulls the Direct pulg.. We won't have that question any more.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 07:19:19 AM »
"Cord Cutting" is another urban thing, though. Rural residents in the US have poor internet access as well as poor tv, so they typically don't have a streaming option. 
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 07:44:02 AM »
The Dish DNS issue was settled long ago and Dish or a contractor has offered it since then, although it's now a dead issue. Changing service addresses with Dish to get the area locals is such a simple process that there's likely not enough demand to cost justify maintaining a DNS offering. It's even possible to get a sort of pseudo-DNS by using a service address in a TV market area that has non-spot beamed locals. There are over a dozen to choose from, although the NYC market is the only one I know of on the western arc sats. The rest are all on the eastern arc, ruling out reception with automatic domes like the Tailgater.
Dutch

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 04:27:49 PM »
Changing service addresses with Dish to get the area locals is such a simple process that there's likely not enough demand to cost justify maintaining a DNS offering.
That's fine if the RV is the only place you're caring about. But I take one receiver from home, and I expect to have my home setup continue to record programs, using the RV unit in a more limited fashion. So changing the service address isn't good for me. Still, I don't have the DNS, either, so I currently miss the local channels other than over the air.

It's not a big deal for me, but it might be for some.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 08:08:25 PM »
That's fine if the RV is the only place you're caring about. But I take one receiver from home, and I expect to have my home setup continue to record programs, using the RV unit in a more limited fashion. So changing the service address isn't good for me. Still, I don't have the DNS, either, so I currently miss the local channels other than over the air.

It's not a big deal for me, but it might be for some.

If you use the "pseudo-DNS" method I described in my post, both your RV and home units would get the same major networks, assuming they're both using the same Dish satellite arc set. Other than that, we frequently record network programs on the Hopper at our upstate NY cottage while traveling though. We just record them from the OTA stations instead of the non-working sat feeds. On the road, we use the Hopper's "Search and Find" feature to set up our recurring network recordings so they're not channel dependent.
Dutch

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 10:51:43 AM »
As was already mentioned. DirecTV DID NOT say they are discontinuing satellite TV. They did say that their primary focus would be streaming IF the technology is in place to make this viable for them. There is no need for anyone to change service or delay purchasing a satellite system. Chuck
Chuck and Susan
1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34J

glen54737

• ---
  • My camping buddy
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 04:16:24 PM »
Chuck is correct. I won't panic yet.
Maybe they will spin off the satellite systems to someone who wants the customers.
If i remember correctly they lease the satellite space while dish owns theirs.
2018 Thor Miramar 35.2
2015 F-350 CC short box 6.7l 3.55 axle
2015 Alpine 3510RE-sold

Glen,Nene
Mickey & Jayco (yorkies)

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 06:32:59 PM »
As was already mentioned. DirecTV DID NOT say they are discontinuing satellite TV. They did say that their primary focus would be streaming IF the technology is in place to make this viable for them. There is no need for anyone to change service or delay purchasing a satellite system. Chuck

Well, I must have missed that.  I suppose a "Whew" is in order.  Or something like that.  Thanks for the clarification.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

tanglemoose

• ---
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »

Streaming is going to be the primary method of content delivery long before 2020.  In my house it's already more than 50% of what we watch.  And when we're on the road it's more like 80% because I download full seasons of programs to take with us on $39 hard drives

Saw this wondered how you download onto a hard drive... thx...
Donna and Mark
and our Golden Lexie
New 2017 TT Keystone Cougar  Same model... but NEW Features!
2015 Keystone Cougar 1/2 Ton Series, 21rbswe, 26'
2013 Toyota Tundra
Living in Cold Montana Country.....

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 04:06:20 PM »

Streaming is going to be the primary method of content delivery long before 2020.  In my house it's already more than 50% of what we watch.  And when we're on the road it's more like 80% because I download full seasons of programs to take with us on $39 hard drives

Not sure how downloading and watching what you download equates to streaming. Chuck
Chuck and Susan

BigLarry

• ---
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 05:28:31 PM »
I know one thing, every time I go into our local Sam's club store, I have trouble getting past the young folks who are hawking Direct TV.  Also, I get an offer in the mail at least every week!!!  They're still pushing for subscribers pretty darned hard!
Larry and Betty
Bryan, Texas
2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
2016 Cougar 28RLS

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 05:43:15 PM »
Sure, might as well make every buck possible.......
Marty--

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 07:56:10 AM »
Just another reason I am so happy I went with Dish Network, rather than Direct TV!

Also with Dish I am able to change my local channels with a simple chat session with Dish.  Years ago we use DNS (Distant Network Service) where we only got NYC or LA.  I much prefer getting the local channels.  A lot of the time there are 1/2 hour segments about very interesting things in the local areas.  While I don't care much about the news of local car crashes, traffic reports, or who shot whom, I do like seeing easy to watch video of local activities.

Additionally we spend a lot of time out in the boonies, where the cell phone signal is weak or non existent, so getting streaming TV over the cell network, won't work.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 07:58:00 AM by AStravelers »
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 08:48:08 AM »
I think there is a misconception here. AT&T is not trying to eliminate Direct TV service at all. What they expect is that in the future they will deliver more canned video rather than broadcast tv, including shows of their own that are available only from AT&T-owned distribution channels.

Not sure how downloading and watching what you download equates to streaming.

You might think of it as "delayed streaming" rather than realtime.  Digital streaming from a storage device on your computer rather than from storage somewhere in "the cloud" using the internet. 
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 06:38:39 PM »
The other misconception is that it's AT&T/DIRECTV doing this to us.  In fact it's just the opposite.  Netflix, Hulu, Amazon have all cut deeply into 'the market'.  And those are just the big three!  There a dozens of others.  I, and millions like me, get most of my entertainment through streaming, and downloading.  The ONLY reason I still have DTV is because of the RV.

With Netflix setting up to stream live TV any day now the writing is on the wall.  If AT&T/DIRECTV doesn't become a leader in streaming soon they will go the way of Blockbuster. 

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 06:57:49 PM »
The other misconception is that it's AT&T/DIRECTV doing this to us.  In fact it's just the opposite.  Netflix, Hulu, Amazon have all cut deeply into 'the market'.  And those are just the big three!  There a dozens of others.  I, and millions like me, get most of my entertainment through streaming, and downloading.  The ONLY reason I still have DTV is because of the RV.

With Netflix setting up to stream live TV any day now the writing is on the wall.  If AT&T/DIRECTV doesn't become a leader in streaming soon they will go the way of Blockbuster.

If it were just that simple. But until the wireless carriers decide to offer true unlimited service, this isn't going to happen for a very long time. Those with high caps or unlimited service through their home DSL or whatever wired modem is provided can take advantage of Netflix, etc.  But a very large segment of the populations has data limits that make this less than practical for other than occasional viewing. Even DirecTV's offer for slimmed down streaming packages that will be offered this month, DirecTV Now, is only going to be good for portable devices like your cell phone or tablet. Any attempts to use it tethered to these devices for streaming will cost big time. So all this is NOT ready for prime time yet. And in the mean time, we will continue to use our satellite systems, over the air antennas and cable connections to get our programming. Yes you can push the mobile device to your TV, but how many will really want to go through the trouble and what happens when you're in an area where the signal is not strong enough or non-existent? My satellite system works everywhere. Certain technologies will take time despite what those that will try and sell us the latest and greatest want us to believe. Chuck
Chuck and Susan

tanglemoose

• ---
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 07:00:07 PM »
We have direct TV at home and take old huge sat. With us n our extra receiver to get tv in the rv. We have slow Internet at home as we live in the country. To stream anything would be a push... but how can I stream at kids house and store on what to take in rv? Have laptop, what else do I need. A newbie at this...
Donna and Mark
and our Golden Lexie
2013 Toyota Tundra

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2016, 07:16:48 PM »
Millions of people already have such high caps that it is virtually unlimited.  Heard the term 'Cord cutters'?  That's what it's about.  In my highest usage months I have barely made a dent in my cap.  And I download several TV programs at a time and save them for later.  Later being when we're in the RV.

Streaming is a bad choice for mobile living.  That's going to be true for several more years.   But for now capturing the stream and saving it for later works for me.  It just takes a little geeky wizardry and time.  Mostly time.   ;)

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2016, 10:16:48 AM »
Millions of people already have such high caps that it is virtually unlimited.  Heard the term 'Cord cutters'?  That's what it's about.  In my highest usage months I have barely made a dent in my cap.  And I download several TV programs at a time and save them for later.  Later being when we're in the RV.

Streaming is a bad choice for mobile living.  That's going to be true for several more years.   But for now capturing the stream and saving it for later works for me.  It just takes a little geeky wizardry and time.  Mostly time.   ;)

But not with a mobile device, which most of us use in our RV's, unless we pay more than the satellite service. That's the point. Millions of people using their mobile devices for internet AND streaming do not have virtually unlimited caps. Unless most of us are missing something. Chuck
Chuck and Susan

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 10:45:41 AM »
Apparently you didn't read the last line of my post.

aguablanco

• ---
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2016, 03:38:28 PM »
This may turn into another fine example of where the guv'ment (SEC) didn't do their job when they let AT&T buy DirecTV. >:(

Or, is it a matter of the Government getting out of the way?
RichH
2012 Silverado 1500 5.3L 6 Speed
2010 Freedom Spirit 24 FBSL
Curt 10K WDH
Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.

rbertalotto

• ---
    • RF "Farkle" Projects
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2016, 08:12:21 AM »
I work in this industry. ALL the satellite companies want to get out of satellites and dishes. Dish networks is the largest proponent of this. Charlie Erker, who owns Dish, suggests that the next generation of users will not pay $200 a month for TV content. He is buying up high frequency broadband as he figures all content will come from cell towers in the future. Satellites are simply way to costly and satellite dishes have Issues with line of sight. Once it all goes terrestrial there will be no need for "bucket
Trucks"  and technicians hanging dishes and realigning after storms etc.. it is estimated the next generation of users will only pay $35 a month for all communication needs.

Dish is already experimenting with their new SLING broadband video distribution network at $20 a month.

No question, the age of satellite dishes and set top boxes is coming to a rapid end.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:15:08 AM by rbertalotto »
RoyB
South of Boston
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf 19RR
Whole bunch of motorcycles
www.rvbprecision.com

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2016, 08:31:52 AM »
I work in this industry. ALL the satellite companies want to get out of satellites and dishes. Dish networks is the largest proponent of this. Charlie Erker, who owns Dish, suggests that the next generation of users will not pay $200 a month for TV content. He is buying up high frequency broadband as he figures all content will come from cell towers in the future. Satellites are simply way to costly and satellite dishes have Issues with line of sight. Once it all goes terrestrial there will be no need for "bucket
Trucks"  and technicians hanging dishes and realigning after storms etc.. it is estimated the next generation of users will only pay $35 a month for all communication needs.

Dish is already experimenting with their new SLING broadband video distribution network at $20 a month.

No question, the age of satellite dishes and set top boxes is coming to a rapid end.

Are we talking months away or a few years?  I have Dish at home and really like it.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2016, 08:33:36 AM »

I sure hope it happens SOON !

Network TV programing is horrible, at best. So I'm paying $100 bucks a month for 200 channels, of which, I watch maybe 10 or 12.

Something is Wrong with that Picture. (Pun ?.. well maybe)  ;)

Joe
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2016, 08:45:20 AM »
it is estimated the next generation of users will only pay $35 a month for all communication needs.

Who is estimating that?  Forgive me for being skeptical, but Verizon & AT&T won't be going there. Nor HBO either.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

rbertalotto

• ---
    • RF "Farkle" Projects
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2016, 08:48:59 AM »
A few years.....

Here is another issue. DirecTV has an aging satellite that supplies over 200,000 subscribers with "analog" signal rather than newer digital. Over time, all these satellites need minor adjustments to their orbits and they all carry enough fuel for X number of years worth of adjustments. A few months ago the DirecTV analog "bird" went into a severe wobble and they used nearly all the remaining fuel to fire the retro rockets to stabilize. This bird was supposed to last a whole bunch of years and now it could wobble again within days, months, years...who knows. without any fuel to restabilize.

200,000 facilities will lose service! Boom!

AT&T is scrambling to get technician out into the field to replace hundreds of thousands of analog STBs with digital Set Top Boxes. This is a huge issue.

Without the space shuttle to reliably and cost effectively launch new birds, the cost of satellite launching has gone through the roof with only US private firms and Russia doing the launching, and quite unreliable at that.

When I first got into the business of cellular back in the 80s, the system would only support 832 conversations on each tower. The industry at the time thought that was plenty! Now at a NFL game or a NASCAR race there can be hundreds of thousands of high data rate transmissions going on at the same time. It is truely amazing how fast and how good terrestrial data transmission has progressed. And you ain't seen nothing yet!!
RoyB
South of Boston
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
www.rvbprecision.com

rbertalotto

• ---
    • RF "Farkle" Projects
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »
HBO and most other "Pay Per View" are already streaming content on Netflix, HuLu, Amazon Prime, Apple Fire Stick and hundreds of other venues (Check out KODI if you have a chance)

They know what is coming and getting ready for it.

This is not "if"......Just a matter of time....

Do some research on the thousands of subscribers each month that have "Cut The Cable" as it is called in the industry and are using high speed internet to stream everything. Streaming will be the only solution down the road. Period....

Three of my four children are in high tech. None of them have a set top box. They stream everything to their personal devices and then send it to an Apple TV unit or a Google Chrome Cast connected to a big screen TV. (The fourth kid is raising babies and struggles with email...go figure!)  My youngest son works for Yahoo and spent time in Taiwan recently to work on these future broadband transmission technologies. He looks at my digital modulators that we build and asks...."Where do you put the coal!"/////Smarta**!

RoyB
South of Boston
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
www.rvbprecision.com

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2016, 10:18:40 AM »
I guess we shouldn't be too surprised. Technology is moving at the speed of light these days. Shoot, I still remember when I thought pagers were pretty slick.  Now I carry a super computer on my belt.  I still see the choke point as being available bandwidth though.  I stream some stuff now on Netflix, but in a busy RV park it can be a real challenge.
Marty--

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2016, 01:09:21 PM »
I still see the choke point as being available bandwidth though.
And therein lies one big reason I can't see cellular streaming being he be-all and end-all of video distribution. And the more dense the population, the worse the problem.

HBO and most other "Pay Per View" are already streaming content on Netflix, HuLu, Amazon Prime, Apple Fire Stick and hundreds of other venues (Check out KODI if you have a chance)

They know what is coming and getting ready for it.

This is not "if"......Just a matter of time....

Do some research on the thousands of subscribers each month that have "Cut The Cable" as it is called in the industry and are using high speed internet to stream everything. Streaming will be the only solution down the road. Period....

Certainly they are doing this because there is tremendous demand, especially amongst the younger folks, but there is still a huge demand for other means of distribution. And you also have to consider that once rural folks (those who rarely have high speed anything, and where cell service is spotty and/or weak) can't get TV, there will be political hue and cry to come up with a way to get a way for them to watch TV/video. I suspect most large companies know about this, because of the hullabaloo in telecommunications over the years about the "last mile problem" in many categories -- this isn't new, it goes back to long before cell phones existed.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

tanglemoose

• ---
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2016, 02:07:20 PM »
For all of you that stream and cut the cords I gather you don't watch college or NFL football??
Donna and Mark
and our Golden Lexie
2013 Toyota Tundra

rbertalotto

• ---
    • RF "Farkle" Projects
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2016, 03:18:06 PM »
I was just at my friends farm in Sover Mo doing a little deer hunting. He recently got fiber to his house with 1Gb service. Lightning fast performance. And he lives 15 miles down a dirt road. No neighbors for about a mile around. Google is behind some of these rural "Google Cities".

As far as speed and choke points, this is why Dish is spending hundreds of millions to by high frequency spectrum at government auctions.

With the advent of 4K video, the need for enormous improvements in bandwidth and speed are necessary. To download an uncompressed 4K movie requires 160Gig....!

Within the next few years or sooner we will witness truly spectacular cellular performance....

Stay tuned!
RoyB
South of Boston
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
www.rvbprecision.com

rbertalotto

• ---
    • RF "Farkle" Projects
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2016, 03:22:42 PM »
All NFL games can be streamed either with KODI or http://www.nfl.com/watch-nfl-live

At this point in time, there is virtually nothing you can't get streaming. Including movies that haven't even been released in theaters yet!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 04:53:42 PM by rbertalotto »
RoyB
South of Boston
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
www.rvbprecision.com

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2016, 03:37:22 PM »
You can also get in a world of trouble.

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2016, 03:45:56 PM »
I work in this industry. ALL the satellite companies want to get out of satellites and dishes. Dish networks is the largest proponent of this. Charlie Erker, who owns Dish, suggests that the next generation of users will not pay $200 a month for TV content. He is buying up high frequency broadband as he figures all content will come from cell towers in the future. Satellites are simply way to costly and satellite dishes have Issues with line of sight. Once it all goes terrestrial there will be no need for "bucket Trucks"  and technicians hanging dishes and realigning after storms etc.. it is estimated the next generation of users will only pay $35 a month for all communication needs. Dish is already experimenting with their new SLING broadband video distribution network at $20 a month.No question, the age of satellite dishes and set top boxes is coming to a rapid end.

Dish has had Sling for  very long time and it still has not caught on. It has been a major disappointment for them. We won't see Satellite TV go away for a long time. There are still too many issues with coverage, speed and other costs to covert broadcasting over to wireless, despite the issues with using a dish. How many times has your phone call dropped out. Imagine watching your favorite show or football game and loosing the signal. Yes it happens now under certain weather conditions, but that is rare. So don't through away your dish just yet. Right now it's mostly talk and talk is cheap. DirecTV will launch DirecTV Now this month. Then we'll have a small inkling of how acceptable it will be and what there is to offer. Your not going to get 150 channels over your smartphone. So far, many broadcasters are not jumping on the DirecTV Now bandwagon. Chuck 
Chuck and Susan

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2016, 06:18:54 PM »
Re Dish and Direct TV getting rid of Satellite.

And then there is Elon Musk (think Tesla cars & Space X) putting a bunch of satellites up for broadband internet world wide. 

AT&T may not need to worry about satellite TV, they may need to worry about all the land based internet they own going away.

Maybe Dish and Direct RV will go away someday, but they could be replaced by satellite broadband internet streaming the TV.

Things change. 
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2016, 06:29:44 PM »
Live NFL game streaming is available only in "selected cities" [and requires the pricey NFL Sunday Ticket subscription].  NFL Game Pass is previous games only.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2016, 10:25:02 PM »
Dish has had Sling for  very long time and it still has not caught on. It has been a major disappointment for them. We won't see Satellite TV go away for a long time. There are still too many issues with coverage, speed and other costs to covert broadcasting over to wireless, despite the issues with using a dish. How many times has your phone call dropped out. Imagine watching your favorite show or football game and loosing the signal. Yes it happens now under certain weather conditions, but that is rare. So don't through away your dish just yet. Right now it's mostly talk and talk is cheap. DirecTV will launch DirecTV Now this month. Then we'll have a small inkling of how acceptable it will be and what there is to offer. Your not going to get 150 channels over your smartphone. So far, many broadcasters are not jumping on the DirecTV Now bandwagon. Chuck 

Dish began trialing OTT Internet TV just 4 years ago in 2012 with the launch of "DishWorld", a 50 channel offering available via a ROKU app. Their Sling TV OTT service was unveiled at the CES on Jan 5, 2015. Hardly what I would call having "had Sling for  very long time...". The "Sling" branding is owned by former Dish parent Echostar and used under a co-branding license similar to that used for the Echostar owned Sling "placeshifting" technology used in the Dish Hopper series receivers. Don't confuse Sling TV OTT streaming service with the Sling placeshifting technology. They're entirely different concepts...
Dutch

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2016, 11:51:24 PM »
All I hope is that they wait until we are done RVing.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2016, 01:35:51 AM »
The Valley Electric Assn. co-op in Pahrump, NV supplies electricity to a substantial portion of rural southwestern Nevada, extending some 250 miles through some of the least populated areas of the country.

They installed a fiber optic backbone along their power lines to monitor and control their equipment, and last summer it dawned on them they had the foundation in place to provide high speed Internet throughout their service area.

To speed the rollout, the initial "last mile" service to individual subscribers is being handled wirelessly.  Pahrump is now full of 18" DirecTV style dishes with a wifi modem at the end of their feedhorn pointing at nearby power poles.  The interim wireless service offers 25 mb speeds, it will be in place until they can run fiber to the houses.  Cost is $50 per month with no data cap.  This is the first residential high speed Internet available in the Pahrump area.

The real beneficiaries are the far rural customers.  They get the same service via the fiber optic backbone, and it's transformed rural life.  The service is fast enough to support interactive streaming video and ranch children can telecommute to real time school classes for the first time.  Farmers can remotely monitor and control their field irrigation systems, etc.

VEA figured they needed 4000 Internet subscribers in Pahrump (population 36,000) to subsidize service to the outlying areas.  They exceeded that number of applications within a few days of announcing the service.

There was an informative article about this in the monthly Pahrump magazine, but I can't find an online link to it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 02:15:53 AM by Lou Schneider »

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2016, 07:15:29 AM »
All I hope is that they wait until we are done RVing.

I'll second that, Jeff!
Dutch

glen54737

• ---
  • My camping buddy
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2016, 12:09:44 PM »
I'll only go for it if they come out with a box that's as easy to operate as the one i have now.
2018 Thor Miramar 35.2
2015 Alpine 3510RE-sold

Glen,Nene
Mickey & Jayco (yorkies)

rbertalotto

• ---
    • RF "Farkle" Projects
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2016, 08:08:14 PM »
We how about that!

Direct TV announced "DirecTV NOW" today with 60 channels of streaming video for $35

http://gizmodo.com/directv-now-makes-more-than-100-streaming-channels-avai-1789440342

IT'S HEEEEERRREEEE!
RoyB
South of Boston
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
www.rvbprecision.com

BobNSam

• ---
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2016, 08:40:03 PM »
We how about that!

Direct TV announced "DirecTV NOW" today with 60 channels of streaming video for $35

http://gizmodo.com/directv-now-makes-more-than-100-streaming-channels-avai-1789440342

IT'S HEEEEERRREEEE!
AT&T announced an intro offer of 100 channels for $35...60 channels at end of intro period (if you sign up during intro, 100 for 35 is permanent ). No info on which channels in package or local network availability. Supposed to start 30 Nov.
Also said downloads don't count against data. Recording available next year.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 08:42:40 PM by bobsharon »
2017 Newmar Ventana LE
2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ
Road master tow stuff

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2016, 11:09:04 PM »
I just signed up to get the info when it rolls out. It will be interesting to see how this plays out for the RV'er that moves around the country a lot.
Marty--

BobNSam

• ---
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2016, 09:08:02 AM »
I just signed up to get the info when it rolls out. It will be interesting to see how this plays out for the RV'er that moves around the country a lot.
So did I. I am waiting to see what the channel lineup is for the "100 Channels". Plus, CBS is known to not be available as yet. Other national networks only in large cities. Would definitely want a plan forward for offerings.
2017 Newmar Ventana LE
2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ
Road master tow stuff

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2016, 09:26:35 AM »
Just watching this thread and obviously I'm totally out of the loop as I'm confused - how is this content delivered? The article states, "For months the telecom giant has been teasing the streaming product, which like Sling TV and PlayStation Vue, will allow subscribers to access live TV from a mobile device or set-top box without needing a regular cable or satellite subscription. DirecTV Now will work on the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, on Android, iOS, Apple TV, Chromecast, Google Cast TVs, and in web browsers like Safari, Google Chrome, and Internet Explorer"

My understanding of "streaming" is that it requires a data delivery vehicle, either hardwire (phone line, cable, etc) or satellite/cellular. Is this delivered over a DirecTV dish?Cellular?If the dish, what's the difference between this and DirecTV service? If cellular, that leaves the existing coverage and bandwidth issues.  ??? ???
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

glen54737

• ---
  • My camping buddy
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2016, 10:02:58 AM »
Just watching this thread and obviously I'm totally out of the loop as I'm confused - how is this content delivered? The article states, "For months the telecom giant has been teasing the streaming product, which like Sling TV and PlayStation Vue, will allow subscribers to access live TV from a mobile device or set-top box without needing a regular cable or satellite subscription. DirecTV Now will work on the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, on Android, iOS, Apple TV, Chromecast, Google Cast TVs, and in web browsers like Safari, Google Chrome, and Internet Explorer"

My understanding of "streaming" is that it requires a data delivery vehicle, either hardwire (phone line, cable, etc) or satellite/cellular. Is this delivered over a DirecTV dish?Cellular?If the dish, what's the difference between this and DirecTV service? If cellular, that leaves the existing coverage and bandwidth issues.  ??? ???
As I understand it you need a source of internet
2018 Thor Miramar 35.2
2015 Alpine 3510RE-sold

Glen,Nene
Mickey & Jayco (yorkies)

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2016, 10:42:40 AM »
Yes, streaming is the same as turning on your computer and watching a U Tube video, only longer. The concept is the same.  I stream Netflix nightly now watching old TV shows. It is done over my Verizon USB modem.  I do it at 3G speeds right now, and there can be disruptions based on available bandwidth.  Therein lies the question for me.  With thousands of people streaming, how does the system handle the load?
Marty--

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2016, 11:06:40 AM »
What is the advantage of AT&T's plan vs just paying $40/mo for Dish's RV plan with no bandwidth or reception issues (as long as I have a view of the southern sky)?
Scott

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2016, 12:01:56 PM »
What is the advantage of AT&T's plan vs just paying $40/mo for Dish's RV plan with no bandwidth or reception issues (as long as I have a view of the southern sky)?

Not much, as long as the satellite TV providers continues to offer the service.  For non-RVers it's a way to get access to the "cord cutters" who only have Internet service, not cable TV.

Beyond that, if you look further up the thread, there's concerns about how much longer satellite TV will be viable.  Between the cord cutters and the aging of the satellite fleet satellite delivered TV may not be around much longer.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2016, 12:30:39 PM »
Not much, as long as the satellite TV providers continues to offer the service.  Beyond that, if you look further up the thread, there's concerns about how much longer satellite TV will be viable.  Between the cord cutters and the aging of the satellite fleet satellite delivered TV may not be around much longer.

OK, thx. Thought I was missing something. I'd be very surprised to see satellite go away anytime soon. I've seen townhouse projects that, through contract, have been wired using DirecTV as the sole provider of TV in the complex - every single unit has a dish. Likewise the condo projects in which I own rentals are bristling with dishes. And I'd say a full third of the homes in our area are sporting a dish. It's not as if there is no customer base. And according to RVIA there are 9 million households with RVs and I'd bet a fair number have either permanent or portable satellite systems.  Even if bandwidth restrictions are lifted the reality is that there are many areas with very poor cell service and where it will never be feasible to put more cell sites in, leaving satellite as the only reliable means to receive TV. Moving over 20 million satellite customers from dish to cell seems like a pipe dream at this point. This "ending" of satellite service feels like a trial balloon to me.
Scott

rbertalotto

• ---
    • RF "Farkle" Projects
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2016, 05:07:16 PM »
Once again, the "dish" way of receiving content is not sustainable. Tens of thousands of folks are "cord cutting" every month. The monthly fees are too great for the next generation of home owners "millennials" and retirees don't want to or can't  pay $200 + a month for content. Streaming is a MUCH less expensive way for the content providers to get content to the customer.

RoyB
South of Boston
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
www.rvbprecision.com

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2016, 06:03:36 PM »
Streaming is a MUCH less expensive way for the content providers to get content to the customer.

But it'll leave out all those customers who don't have high-rate data connections on the phone (or have no service at all), and those who maintain a non-data phone or landline only (yes, I know landline service is shrinking a lot).

So you're saying that they'll also build out the 4G cellular network into the huge areas that don't even have cell service of any kind at present? With enough signal strength to be useful for streaming?  And you're saying the streaming will have enough bandwidth and signal strength for everyone in the very high-density city areas (think major high-rise) to all (or at least most) use it simultaneously? That's a lot of two-way radio.

Or are you saying there are a lot folks who watch the tube now that'll not be able to watch in whatever future time you're imagining?

The radio frequency spectrum is NOT infinite, so you also have to be imagining major changes in the data distribution network over huge areas.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't doubt there will be major expansion of streaming, I just doubt that the "streaming model" will replace all the various video distribution mechanisms out there now, not even satellite, though it'll grow smaller perhaps. I just can't picture the complete changeover you envision to nothing but streaming for video in real time.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2016, 06:18:56 PM »
Once again, the "dish" way of receiving content is not sustainable.

There's no doubt it cost more to maintain satellites than cell towers, but they did manage to eke out a $2.75 billion profit in 2014
Scott

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2016, 06:51:18 PM »
So far the DirecTV Now will not have DVR or recording capabilities, no pausing capabilities for more than 5 seconds and then it picks up in real time and you miss the 5 seconds and you will not be able to stream more than two concurrent streams per account or you pay more. The 100 channels will only be offered for a limited time for $35.00 and then it will cost $60.00. And DirecTV will still not say what channels you will get. You might wind up with 49 shopping channels. You're not going to get sports channels. After the limited offer period, $35.00 will only get you 60 channels and we don't know which ones. You're not going to get locals like you can now with your dish. So don't start ripping those dishes off the roof just yet. As with all things that look too good to be true, they probably are. "Live streaming from the major networks (ABC, Fox, NBC) is also a mixed bag: you’ll be able to watch live programming in major cities where the networks themselves own the local station," The Verge wrote. "But where affiliates are involved, most users will have access to day-after on-demand replays of primetime shows. Verizon retains its exclusive mobile rights to NFL games on broadcast networks—so you can’t watch them on your smartphone but can stream them on other devices. DirecTV Now works over any Internet connection and thus doesn't require a satellite dish or set-top box, but the service simply won't provide all the programming offered by satellite and cable services." Chuck
Chuck and Susan

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2016, 07:17:25 PM »
All good observations. How it actually shakes out is yet to be seen. And I for one am waiting to make my decision and pass judgement.  But I do acknowledge progress, and new technology.
Marty--

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2016, 07:41:10 PM »
With about 40 million sat subscribers between DTV and DISH, I don't expect to see DBS TV transmissions going away for quite awhile. As OTT Internet streaming delivery adds more channels though, particularly in the sports and local channel categories that are pretty lacking right now, I'm sure will see a steady drift of subscribers in that direction. If the promised LEO satellite Internet providers eventually live up to their high bandwidth low cost hype, that could be a good match for RV'ers and rural areas, leading to even more "cord cutters" on the sat TV front.
Dutch

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2016, 08:00:32 PM »
What happened to my low cost internet from satellite that both Google and Musk promised me?! Instead I get to watch shopping channels on my phone over spotty cellular networks with data caps?!  ??? I can hardly wait  ;)
Scott

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2016, 08:13:32 PM »
What happened to my low cost internet from satellite that both Google and Musk promised me?! Instead I get to watch shopping channels on my phone over spotty cellular networks with data caps?!  ??? I can hardly wait  ;)

Musk's SpaceX has applied to the FCC for space allocations, and indicates a possible initial launch in 2019. It will take awhile though, to launch all 4,425 satellites for full global coverage with gigabyte speeds per user.

SpaceX plans worldwide satellite Internet with low latency, gigabit speed
Dutch

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2016, 09:55:31 AM »
This is a must read before junking your dish and jumping on the DirecTV Now bandwagon . Perhaps the service will improve, perhaps not. Things are not as simple as some would have you believe. http://www.adweek.com/news/television/6-takeaways-directv-now-atts-buggy-promising-new-streaming-service-174861 . Chuck
Chuck and Susan

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2016, 10:48:32 AM »
I'm not  ready to junk my dish, but I am shelving any plan to pop 2 grand for a HD dish for the rig.  Although it may take awhile, I do believe that it is the direction that the industry is going, albeit slowly.
Marty--

tanglemoose

• ---
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2016, 03:55:11 PM »
We are wanting a tailgater... and it is only xx not nearly the 2k.. and I am not sure I want to spend the cash or use my bulky old dish... are there any places to buy the tailgater cheaper.. someone mentioned truck stops...not sure hubby wants to drag big dish around for a trip south... and moving every 7 days.. to see new country..
Donna and Mark
and our Golden Lexie
2013 Toyota Tundra

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2016, 08:00:02 PM »
We are wanting a tailgater... and it is only xx not nearly the 2k.. and I am not sure I want to spend the cash or use my bulky old dish... are there any places to buy the tailgater cheaper.. someone mentioned truck stops...not sure hubby wants to drag big dish around for a trip south... and moving every 7 days.. to see new country..

For Dish use, instead of the Tailgater I recommend getting the Winegard Pathway X2. The X2 can "see" either the Dish eastern or western arc satellites as needed, increasing the aiming opportunities on heavily wooded sites, and has a larger dish than the Tailgater, making a bit less susceptible to rain fade in inclement weather. And neither one works with Direct...
Dutch

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2016, 08:50:54 PM »
For Dish use, instead of the Tailgater I recommend getting the Winegard Pathway X2. The X2 can "see" either the Dish eastern or western arc satellites as needed, increasing the aiming opportunities on heavily wooded sites, and has a larger dish than the Tailgater, making a bit less susceptible to rain fade in inclement weather. And neither one works with Direct...
Or the Winegard Carryout, which can also be switched for Direct SD...
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2016, 09:46:16 PM »
Or the Winegard Carryout, which can also be switched for Direct SD...

The Carryout is Dish western arc only, although it does have Direct and Bell switchability in its favor. For Dish, I still prefer the dual arc X2.
Dutch

GA_Boy

• ---
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2016, 12:59:27 PM »
I'll stick with DISH-----------if we didn't RV maybe something cheaper would be the way to go.  I mostly watch stuff that are previously recorded so I can FF through the commercials.  Also pause, back up, closed caption,etc.
Marvin

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2016, 01:26:16 PM »
We like to do that too and use our DirecTV DVR. With the new streaming service from DirecTV you can't record or pause for more than 5 seconds. No fast forwarding through commercials.Chuck
Chuck and Susan

rbertalotto

• ---
    • RF "Farkle" Projects
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2016, 11:20:47 AM »
DirecTV NOW.....A full report!  Currently I have Comcast /Xfinity Cable at my house. I'm always searching for a way to cut the cable and be able to bring the various news shows with me and reduce my costs for internet and content at home. Xfinity offers a free service called "TV GO" that is supposed to allow you to watch whatever channels you are subscribed to on your personal device. But you have a 50/50 chance that it will be working when you want to use it. It is FREE only if you subscribe to the cable service at home.

DirecTV just launched DirecTV NOW this past week. Currently they offer a 7 day free trial service. And a promotional offer of 100 channels for $35 a month.

I signed up to give it a try.........So, to cut to the chase....in a word....FANTASTIC!

I used my Sprint HotSpot with only one bar of LTE, My Verizon MiFi with three bars, the Xfinity WiFi service (thousands of Xfinity WiFi hot Spots all over the country) and my TechnoRV ALFA 36 WiFi booster to my home WiFi router...........In all cases the performance was phenomenal!  Takes a couple SECONDS to log on and begin seeing broadcasts. VERY, VERY FAST! Picture quality is simply amazing. Much better than other streaming services I'm subscribed to.

I used AppleTV to "mirror" it from my Ipad mini to a 55" TV and video quality remained full HD.

To say I'm impressed would be an understatement!

But more importantly, I'm paying $69 a month for about 40 basic channels on my Comcast/Xfinity cable system. I would have cut the cable long ago, but we like Fox News, CNN and MSNBC and these were not available streaming reliably until now.

Now for the bad news. Using the "data used" screen on my Sprint MiFi unit, I used 86mB for 5 minutes of streaming.......That is about 1G an hour if my math is correct........You need an unlimited service or lots of Gigs if you are going to use this service remotely for any length of time. I'm not sure if AT&T, who how owns DTV, has a deal for this service? More research is needed.

Anyways...The future is now!  Extreme high quality streaming with lots of selection for a reasonable price.
RoyB
South of Boston
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
www.rvbprecision.com

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2016, 11:38:46 AM »
So Roy, Have you used this in your current location only? Have you traveled to different areas with the same results? Are you able to get local channels? Can you record or DVR channels? Do you watch sports channels? Do you have movie channels on your Comcast and if so are they on DirecTV now. How much will DirecTV Now and internet service capable of handling enough streaming cost compared to your current cable and internet service? Do you have the same amount and types of channels on DirecTV Now as you do on your cable? I assume your Comcast internet service is now unlimited for all internet and not just for streaming? It's really important to compare apples to apples. Chuck
Chuck and Susan

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2016, 06:31:19 PM »
I missed this until now but am I to understand that Directv Now does NOT include Internet service? With all the bundled deals out there that is going to make this a tough sell.

We need Internet only here in PHX for the winter as we have Directv from the motorhome as well as cellular service but Cox charges $55/mo for 50 mps while it offers a bundled deal of 220 TV channels , 50 mps Internet, and unlimited long distance phone service for $89/mo. For $109/mo they include 150 mps Internet, 240 channels, and HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime.

That would still not address our summer service on the road.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:33:16 PM by Jeff »

rbertalotto

• ---
    • RF "Farkle" Projects
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2016, 09:02:19 PM »
Questions, questions, questions....Too many questions....I'm not a DTV salesman. Call AT&T or visit their web site for the answers.....
RoyB
South of Boston
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
www.rvbprecision.com

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2016, 09:29:24 PM »
Questions, questions, questions....Too many questions....I'm not a DTV salesman. Call AT&T or visit their web site for the answers.....

Then why post the report? Chuck
Chuck and Susan

JFN

• ---
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2016, 04:58:05 PM »
Tailgater on sale.

http://www.adventurerv.net/king-controls-tailgater-portable-satellite-dome-dish-vq2500-p-29705.html?utm_source=AdventureRV&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Specials_12_07_2016

I received a letter from Direct TV Today thanking me for being a customer and that I can now stream all shows and recorded media from  my mobile devices. The big news is that being a AT&T wireless customer I now have unlimited Data for streaming on the wireless devices.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:30:50 PM by JFN »
John & Connie Neal
2006 Dodge 2500 5.9, PacBrake
Smarty Jr Tuned
2006 KZ 29.5' Durango
MaxBrake, Brake Controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
K6JFN

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2016, 08:20:51 PM »
The Tailgater automatic dome only works with a specific Dish receiver series, not with DTV receivers.
Dutch

tanglemoose

• ---
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2016, 04:44:59 PM »
We have direct TV at home, so will have to stick with it. I will check on the sale!! Of tailgater, we usually use our extra receiver. I know some receivers don't work... need to check on that...
Donna and Mark
and our Golden Lexie
2013 Toyota Tundra

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2016, 04:49:11 PM »
We have direct TV at home, so will have to stick with it. I will check on the sale!! Of tailgater, we usually use our extra receiver. I know some receivers don't work... need to check on that...

There are NO DirecTV receivers that work with the Tailgater automatic dome antennas. King Controls, like Winegard, may have other models that do work with DTV equipment, but not the Tailgater models. All of the domes that do work with DTV will only receive SD signals...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:50:50 PM by NY_Dutch »
Dutch

tanglemoose

• ---
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2016, 05:07:09 PM »
So what does it mean to tv viewing on just sd signals?? Do channels not come in or picture is bad??

There are NO DirecTV receivers that work with the Tailgater automatic dome antennas. King Controls, like Winegard, may have other models that do work with DTV equipment, but not the Tailgater models. All of the domes that do work with DTV will only receive SD signals...
Donna and Mark
and our Golden Lexie
2013 Toyota Tundra

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2016, 05:19:54 PM »
So what does it mean to tv viewing on just sd signals?? Do channels not come in or picture is bad??

They Are Not in HD (High Definition) for reception. They are SD (Standard Definition), Very Good Picture, just not as Clean, Clear & Sharp.

On the Good, Better, Best scale.. SD is in the "Better" range ?

Joe
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2016, 03:32:19 AM »
I've scanned this thread several times and don't seen any mention of the face that Direct is finally retiring their SD service in two years. THAT's the current elephant in the room.

http://forums.solidsignal.com/content.php/5483-THE-END-IS-COMING-DIRECTV-announces-end-of-SD-service
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:34:11 AM by SCVJeff »

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2016, 07:39:28 AM »
Gee Jeff, just because it means that all current DTV dome dishes will no longer work, what's to get upset about?  ::) ;D
Dutch

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2016, 10:56:49 AM »
Since I have no idea what that comment means so I'll ignore it. There's 5 pages of people going code3 over an unverified report of DTV shutting off sat service completely, that likely won't happen, but completely missing the flat statement that SD and all of your domes are 10-7 in 2 years.

You should be upset

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2016, 04:08:02 PM »
Ummmm, isn't that what I just said in different words? Heck, I'm agreeing with you!  ;)
Dutch

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
Oh goody. Maybe streaming will be fully functional by then.
Marty--

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2016, 01:10:13 AM »
Oh goody. Maybe streaming will be fully functional by then.

Verizon will go absolutely nuts if I use our unlimited data plan to stream all our TV over VZW! We already use 30-40gb/mo while on the road during the summer.

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2016, 10:31:52 AM »
Some of you that are using the service may already know this. For those of you that have not tried it yet, this is a must read...

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/12/atts-directv-now-plagued-with-outages-and-sports-blackouts/

Chuck
Chuck and Susan

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2016, 10:35:34 AM »
We're at just over 98GB this month on our AT&T unlimited 4G/LTE hotspot, but I don't know how high it would go if we watched TV full time on it. We don't normally use this much data, but this month I've been deliberately loading the hotspot for a reliability stress test. I've just barely topped 20GB on our Verizon unlimited 3G Jetpack.
Dutch

rbertalotto

• ---
    • RF "Farkle" Projects
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2016, 03:53:55 PM »
DirecTV NOW update...........

I travel for business. Planes, Trains, Automobiles. My territory is everything east of the Mississippi.  In the last few weeks I've been to just about every state in New England, Ny, NJ, GA, FL,

I've used the DirecTV NOW with my phone (Iphone5s), Ipad Mini2 and MacBook Air connected to Sprint or Verizon HotSpots, and all of these devices connected to many free WiFi connections as McDonalds, Panera Bread, Xfinity, hotels etc.

At home I'm connected to Comcast / Xfinity cable modem with extreme high speed internet access. At home I've accessed it through my Amazon Fire Stick and Apple TV. Both work just as well as my direct connection modem.

So far so good. I've experienced very few drop outs or tiling events. Three times the system didn't "boot up" and I had to start the acquisition over. This only happened on initial start up, never during play and only on the Fire Stick.

Certainly, if the WiFi is weak, it is not a good experience. Hotels seem to have the most overloaded WiFi systems, especially at night or early AM when all business travelers are using it.

Tomorrow I fly to the west coast and I'll try it on Southwest airlines inflight WiFi. Should be interesting.

For $35 a month, I can say it is working out much better than I anticipated. Within the next few months I'm sure AT&T will have the BBS thing worked out and hopefully an agreement with the NFL.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 03:58:39 PM by rbertalotto »
RoyB
South of Boston
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
www.rvbprecision.com

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »
Roy, I have to wonder why your selling this so hard. For others, be sure to read the link I posted so you can make an informed decision. http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/12/atts-directv-now-plagued-with-outages-and-sports-blackouts/ , Chuck
Chuck and Susan

Paul & Ann

• ---
    • Paul and Ann's Great RV Adventure
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2016, 10:40:41 AM »
I just saw this article on yahoo news about brands that may disappear in 2017,  Here is an excerpt I found interesting:

7. AT&T U-Verse

AT&T U-verse is the brand of fiber-based triple-play telecommunications offerings from AT&T that includes broadband internet, telephone, and video services. After last year's acquisition of DirecTV, the largest satellite TV provider nationwide, AT&T has been phasing out its U-verse subscriptions and pushing customers towards DirecTV. The shift is part of a cost savings effort by AT&T and an attempt to capitalize on the DirecTV brand. Satellite TV has lower hardware and programing costs than fiber-based TV, so the more customers AT&T switches from U-verse to DirecTV, the more money the company will save. According to CFO John Stephens, content is roughly $17 more expensive to provide for U-verse customers than for DirecTV customers. To redirect customers, AT&T has stopped building U-verse set-top boxes, and is coaxing prospective customers towards satellite options.

The company's efforts to switch customers are reflected in its recent financial reports. In the second quarter of 2016, AT&T gained 342,000 new satellite TV subscribers and lost 391,000 U-verse TV subscribers. The transition is part of a larger effort by AT&T to combine its services into a single entertainment hub, with internet, satellite TV, and wireless in one home device.

Here is a link to the whole article.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/brands-disappear-2017-110037272.html
Paul & Ann  Iowa
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J
http://stoughrvadventure.blogspot.com/

rbertalotto

• ---
    • RF "Farkle" Projects
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2016, 11:24:54 AM »
Roy, I have to wonder why your selling this so hard.

Not pushing it at all.....No dog in the fight. I've just been searching for the last couple of years for a way to "Cut The Cable" at home and have Television entertainment on the road as I move to spending months at a time on the road.

In fact, switching from satellite set top boxes to a streaming service will VERY negatively impact my livelihood as my company manufactures and sells digital modulators that distribute satellite TV to MDUs (Multi Dwelling Units).

Paying for TV at home when no one is there and having to deal with a dish and expensive subscription on the road just doesn't work for me.

Streaming all these channels for XX$$ a month just seems like a no brainer.

And now that both AT&T and T Mobile are saying this streaming data does not affect your data limit.......I'm struggling to find a reason why not.
RoyB
South of Boston
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel
www.rvbprecision.com

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2016, 11:48:42 AM »
I'll wait until the streaming services are carrying all the channels we want to watch. Until then, Dish is the right service for us.
Dutch

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2016, 02:28:15 PM »
I'll wait until the streaming services are carrying all the channels we want to watch. Until then, Dish is the right service for us.

Us too.

A bit off topic but:

Until that happens, does anyone know why (DISH) programming Starts, or Ends late ? Or Early ? Is there a fix ? Seems like the DVR internal clock is OFF with GMT Real Time. Maybe the LNB ?  We've been thru 6 VIP612's (Remans) in the past 8 years. Replacement is Free, they work for awhile then don't.

Just thought I'd throw this out there.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 02:30:31 PM by BIG JOE »
Joe

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2016, 04:03:49 PM »
Our Hoppers, and I believe our previous 211K, allow setting the recording times to start up to a few minutes early and end a few minutes late as the default. It should be in your DVR settings somewhere.
Dutch

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2016, 05:50:21 PM »
Our Hoppers, and I believe our previous 211K, allow setting the recording times to start up to a few minutes early and end a few minutes late as the default. It should be in your DVR settings somewhere.

The options are there BUT the options are in 1 minute increments. The DRV Starts recording about 40 Seconds Early, and will Stop about the same, it varies, but Never in the 1 minute increments.

And then.. if I set it up to record say @ 8:00, and another program a 9:00, on another channel.. you miss the Ending of the one @ 8:00  >:(

VERY frustrating.. We don't git to see the Bad Guy git his Come Up'ns. Or the Guy Git the Girl ? :(

We've compensated for that by recording back to back, on the same channel.. We can then Start the second recording... to watch the End of the first recording. Buncha Crap.

Local stations are Spot On.

It gets even more interesting, but I don't wana waste anymore time on it.

Whats even More frustrating is.. I've asked about an upgraded DVR. DISH wants Big Money for that. If I was a NEW customer it would be FREE, with Programming Perks.

Sign of the Times I guess.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 05:52:27 PM by BIG JOE »
Joe

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2016, 08:42:48 PM »
The options are there BUT the options are in 1 minute increments. The DRV Starts recording about 40 Seconds Early, and will Stop about the same, it varies, but Never in the 1 minute increments.

And then.. if I set it up to record say @ 8:00, and another program a 9:00, on another channel.. you miss the Ending of the one @ 8:00  >:(

VERY frustrating.. We don't git to see the Bad Guy git his Come Up'ns. Or the Guy Git the Girl ? :(

We've compensated for that by recording back to back, on the same channel.. We can then Start the second recording... to watch the End of the first recording. Buncha Crap.

Local stations are Spot On.

It gets even more interesting, but I don't wana waste anymore time on it.

Whats even More frustrating is.. I've asked about an upgraded DVR. DISH wants Big Money for that. If I was a NEW customer it would be FREE, with Programming Perks.

Sign of the Times I guess.
With our two (purchased) Hoppers, we have 6 sat tuners and two OTA tuners available for recording, so having programs start recording a minute early and end a minute late is seldom an issue with overlaps. The new Hopper 3 has 16 tuners though, so there should be even less contention.
Dutch

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2016, 09:01:47 PM »
---snip---Tomorrow I fly to the west coast and I'll try it on Southwest airlines inflight WiFi. Should be interesting.
Good luck.. SWA WiFi is not only painfully slow just to load a website, they are blocking any streaming video unless Direct is hiding it on an obscure port. Either way I've never successfully run a speed test en-flight, but if you can I'll bet it's on par with dial-up

Hosted by Over The Network