AT&T looking toward eliminating Direct satellite TV by 2020

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I missed this until now but am I to understand that Directv Now does NOT include Internet service? With all the bundled deals out there that is going to make this a tough sell.

We need Internet only here in PHX for the winter as we have Directv from the motorhome as well as cellular service but Cox charges $55/mo for 50 mps while it offers a bundled deal of 220 TV channels , 50 mps Internet, and unlimited long distance phone service for $89/mo. For $109/mo they include 150 mps Internet, 240 channels, and HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime.

That would still not address our summer service on the road.

Questions, questions, questions....Too many questions....I'm not a DTV salesman. Call AT&T or visit their web site for the answers.....

rbertalotto said:
Questions, questions, questions....Too many questions....I'm not a DTV salesman. Call AT&T or visit their web site for the answers.....

Then why post the report? Chuck

Tailgater on sale.

http://www.adventurerv.net/king-controls-tailgater-portable-satellite-dome-dish-vq2500-p-29705.html?utm_source=AdventureRV&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Specials_12_07_2016

I received a letter from Direct TV Today thanking me for being a customer and that I can now stream all shows and recorded media from  my mobile devices. The big news is that being a AT&T wireless customer I now have unlimited Data for streaming on the wireless devices.

We have direct TV at home, so will have to stick with it. I will check on the sale!! Of tailgater, we usually use our extra receiver. I know some receivers don't work... need to check on that...

tanglemoose said:
We have direct TV at home, so will have to stick with it. I will check on the sale!! Of tailgater, we usually use our extra receiver. I know some receivers don't work... need to check on that...

There are NO DirecTV receivers that work with the Tailgater automatic dome antennas. King Controls, like Winegard, may have other models that do work with DTV equipment, but not the Tailgater models. All of the domes that do work with DTV will only receive SD signals...

So what does it mean to tv viewing on just sd signals?? Do channels not come in or picture is bad??

NY_Dutch said:
There are NO DirecTV receivers that work with the Tailgater automatic dome antennas. King Controls, like Winegard, may have other models that do work with DTV equipment, but not the Tailgater models. All of the domes that do work with DTV will only receive SD signals...

tanglemoose said:
So what does it mean to tv viewing on just sd signals?? Do channels not come in or picture is bad??

They Are Not in HD (High Definition) for reception. They are SD (Standard Definition), Very Good Picture, just not as Clean, Clear & Sharp.

On the Good, Better, Best scale.. SD is in the "Better" range ?

Joe

I've scanned this thread several times and don't seen any mention of the face that Direct is finally retiring their SD service in two years. THAT's the current elephant in the room.

http://forums.solidsignal.com/content.php/5483-THE-END-IS-COMING-DIRECTV-announces-end-of-SD-service

Since I have no idea what that comment means so I'll ignore it. There's 5 pages of people going code3 over an unverified report of DTV shutting off sat service completely, that likely won't happen, but completely missing the flat statement that SD and all of your domes are 10-7 in 2 years.

You should be upset

SargeW said:
Oh goody. Maybe streaming will be fully functional by then.

Verizon will go absolutely nuts if I use our unlimited data plan to stream all our TV over VZW! We already use 30-40gb/mo while on the road during the summer.

Some of you that are using the service may already know this. For those of you that have not tried it yet, this is a must read...

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/12/atts-directv-now-plagued-with-outages-and-sports-blackouts/

Chuck

We're at just over 98GB this month on our AT&T unlimited 4G/LTE hotspot, but I don't know how high it would go if we watched TV full time on it. We don't normally use this much data, but this month I've been deliberately loading the hotspot for a reliability stress test. I've just barely topped 20GB on our Verizon unlimited 3G Jetpack.

DirecTV NOW update...........

I travel for business. Planes, Trains, Automobiles. My territory is everything east of the Mississippi.  In the last few weeks I've been to just about every state in New England, Ny, NJ, GA, FL,

I've used the DirecTV NOW with my phone (Iphone5s), Ipad Mini2 and MacBook Air connected to Sprint or Verizon HotSpots, and all of these devices connected to many free WiFi connections as McDonalds, Panera Bread, Xfinity, hotels etc.

At home I'm connected to Comcast / Xfinity cable modem with extreme high speed internet access. At home I've accessed it through my Amazon Fire Stick and Apple TV. Both work just as well as my direct connection modem.

So far so good. I've experienced very few drop outs or tiling events. Three times the system didn't "boot up" and I had to start the acquisition over. This only happened on initial start up, never during play and only on the Fire Stick.

Certainly, if the WiFi is weak, it is not a good experience. Hotels seem to have the most overloaded WiFi systems, especially at night or early AM when all business travelers are using it.

Tomorrow I fly to the west coast and I'll try it on Southwest airlines inflight WiFi. Should be interesting.

For $35 a month, I can say it is working out much better than I anticipated. Within the next few months I'm sure AT&T will have the BBS thing worked out and hopefully an agreement with the NFL.

I just saw this article on yahoo news about brands that may disappear in 2017,  Here is an excerpt I found interesting:

7. AT&T U-Verse

AT&T U-verse is the brand of fiber-based triple-play telecommunications offerings from AT&T that includes broadband internet, telephone, and video services. After last year's acquisition of DirecTV, the largest satellite TV provider nationwide, AT&T has been phasing out its U-verse subscriptions and pushing customers towards DirecTV. The shift is part of a cost savings effort by AT&T and an attempt to capitalize on the DirecTV brand. Satellite TV has lower hardware and programing costs than fiber-based TV, so the more customers AT&T switches from U-verse to DirecTV, the more money the company will save. According to CFO John Stephens, content is roughly $17 more expensive to provide for U-verse customers than for DirecTV customers. To redirect customers, AT&T has stopped building U-verse set-top boxes, and is coaxing prospective customers towards satellite options.

The company's efforts to switch customers are reflected in its recent financial reports. In the second quarter of 2016, AT&T gained 342,000 new satellite TV subscribers and lost 391,000 U-verse TV subscribers. The transition is part of a larger effort by AT&T to combine its services into a single entertainment hub, with internet, satellite TV, and wireless in one home device.

Here is a link to the whole article.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/brands-disappear-2017-110037272.html

Back
Top Bottom