EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: AT&T looking toward eliminating Direct satellite TV by 2020  (Read 11985 times)

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
AT&T looking toward eliminating Direct satellite TV by 2020
« on: September 27, 2016, 03:24:35 PM »
Saw this posted on another forum.  You may want to hold off upgrading to that new expensive satellite system...

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/blog/techflash/2016/09/report-at-t-has-set-a-timeline-to-phase-out.html
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Smith

• ---
Re: AT&T looking toward eliminating Direct satellite TV by 2020
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 03:49:15 PM »
I planned on getting another receiver for the trailer next year to use while doing the campground host thing. Guess I won’t now. I’ve never liked Directv in spite of signing up twice in the last 16 years. This reinforces my feelings.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 28BH

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 03:53:57 PM »
It seems to say they intend to make streaming the primary platform, but not necessarily eliminate satellite. Included in the story is this quote:

“There’s going to be segments of the population that are going to continue to use satellite for a period of time to come”

On the other hand, a substantial reduction in satellite subscribers can only lead to a reduced investment in that medium. Satellites are expensive to launch and maintain, and it doesn't bode well for pricing if the subscriber database is small.

AT&T is already known for focusing on densely populated markets and giving short shrift to geographically dispersed users. Streaming via wireless media makes sense in dense markets, but few carriers build the infrastructure to deliver it in rural areas. As RVers already know...
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:55:21 PM »
A receiver isn't expensive, and you can lease it from DTV is you want. I just wouldn't spend a bunch of money on a fancy dome or automatic open-face dish.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 05:54:01 PM »
That's pretty crazy.  For many people that live in rural areas, DirecTV satellite is the way to go.  I am in a rural area, and even though new stuff is going up all around us, AT&T is very haphazard in how they provide service here.  Very helter skelter and those that do get any kind of AT&T service are about half and half on the reliability.  I sure would hate to lose it after being with them for over 10 years now.  Especially if they can't deliver anything better than what they have so far.  Which to my house has been nothing!
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 08:13:59 PM »
I think AT&T is playing the numbers game.  They would rather spend their efforts and dollars on highly packed urban areas that have lots of subscribers, instead of rural areas that have few paying customers.  It will be interesting how this shakes out.
Marty--

BobNSam

• ---
  • Travel/golf/reading/bridge in any order
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 08:43:18 PM »
This may turn into another fine example of where the guv'ment (SEC) didn't do their job when they let AT&T buy DirecTV. >:(
2017 Newmar Ventana LE
2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ
Road master tow stuff
DirecTV with Genie/Trav'ler Antenna
2+2 USAF Retired (2IDGITS)

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 09:04:22 PM »
It'll be interesting to see what Dish does with this announcement. It might be a good marketing opportunity to boost satellite subscriptions in the near term, while waiting for wireless technology to catch up with the needs of widespread streaming. Combined with Sling, they can grab the best of both worlds in the interim. There will be plenty of disenfranchised DTV subscribers that don't have high speed broadband available that will be looking for a new TV programming "home".
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 10:01:22 PM »
I think this is a very astute move on their part.  If you haven't heard the term 'cord cutters' you've been living under a rock.  Cord cutting has cut into their subscription base in a huge way already.  And the trend is accelerating.  HBO offers their programming via HBO Now, a streaming service.  Other premium channels will follow suit soon if they haven't already.  There are dozens of streaming boxes on the market, Roku, and Apple TV come to mind but there are dozens of others.  I have four different Homebrew streaming boxes, one of which is based upon a $35 Raspberry Pi computer.  The software is free.

Streaming is going to be the primary method of content delivery long before 2020.  In my house it's already more than 50% of what we watch.  And when we're on the road it's more like 80% because I download full seasons of programs to take with us on $39 hard drives.

The times they are a-changin'.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

john owens

• ---
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 10:10:15 PM »
I quit Direct TV then Time Warner a few years ago...Dish is the current company to handle our TV needs..and with the 2K automatic sat dish on our rig I hope they are here for awhile.......
2011 Winnebago 37F Class A  2012 Unlimited JK 2001 HD roadking  1964 Manx 1641cc buggy 1985 22'Lazy Daze Class C 2007 Chaparrel 26' deck boat..Thats all folks!!

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 10:34:47 PM »
When 5G wireless rolls out then need for satellite connection diminishes, if they really don't count Directv streaming against the data limit.

I just hope I don't have to replace the Travelr dish in the next few years. Still this won't be great for RVers because there area lot of places today that don't have good 4g connections and therefore probably won't have good 5g. The good side is you won't have to fight the trees for satellite view.
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 06:32:17 AM »
Well.. I'm not all that upset over the loss of DirecTV.. In days of old DISH offered DNS, 5 different cities you could choose from, But it turns out they were a bit free with the DNS accounts (Distant Network Service), I might add DirecTV is no less free and easy with the accounts.. But let me continue

Dish got sued, Settled with ABC, CBS and so on all but FOX, FOX refused to settle.  Turns out one of the major owners of FOX also held major interest in DirecTV so he was feathering his own nest.. now AT&T owns Direct (So my complaint against them is hitory) but Fox is still un-American. (Primary stock holders are foreign interests)

I suspect Dish network will continue for many years if AT&T pulls the plug on DirecTV and converts it to a internet network.

This will make life somewhat easier for us here in the forum because now when people have issues with their Sat TV we have to ask Dish or Direct. and when AT&T pulls the Direct pulg.. We won't have that question any more.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 07:19:19 AM »
"Cord Cutting" is another urban thing, though. Rural residents in the US have poor internet access as well as poor tv, so they typically don't have a streaming option. 
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 07:44:02 AM »
The Dish DNS issue was settled long ago and Dish or a contractor has offered it since then, although it's now a dead issue. Changing service addresses with Dish to get the area locals is such a simple process that there's likely not enough demand to cost justify maintaining a DNS offering. It's even possible to get a sort of pseudo-DNS by using a service address in a TV market area that has non-spot beamed locals. There are over a dozen to choose from, although the NYC market is the only one I know of on the western arc sats. The rest are all on the eastern arc, ruling out reception with automatic domes like the Tailgater.
Dutch

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 04:27:49 PM »
Changing service addresses with Dish to get the area locals is such a simple process that there's likely not enough demand to cost justify maintaining a DNS offering.
That's fine if the RV is the only place you're caring about. But I take one receiver from home, and I expect to have my home setup continue to record programs, using the RV unit in a more limited fashion. So changing the service address isn't good for me. Still, I don't have the DNS, either, so I currently miss the local channels other than over the air.

It's not a big deal for me, but it might be for some.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 08:08:25 PM »
That's fine if the RV is the only place you're caring about. But I take one receiver from home, and I expect to have my home setup continue to record programs, using the RV unit in a more limited fashion. So changing the service address isn't good for me. Still, I don't have the DNS, either, so I currently miss the local channels other than over the air.

It's not a big deal for me, but it might be for some.

If you use the "pseudo-DNS" method I described in my post, both your RV and home units would get the same major networks, assuming they're both using the same Dish satellite arc set. Other than that, we frequently record network programs on the Hopper at our upstate NY cottage while traveling though. We just record them from the OTA stations instead of the non-working sat feeds. On the road, we use the Hopper's "Search and Find" feature to set up our recurring network recordings so they're not channel dependent.
Dutch

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 10:51:43 AM »
As was already mentioned. DirecTV DID NOT say they are discontinuing satellite TV. They did say that their primary focus would be streaming IF the technology is in place to make this viable for them. There is no need for anyone to change service or delay purchasing a satellite system. Chuck
Chuck and Susan
1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34J

glen54737

• ---
  • My camping buddy
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 04:16:24 PM »
Chuck is correct. I won't panic yet.
Maybe they will spin off the satellite systems to someone who wants the customers.
If i remember correctly they lease the satellite space while dish owns theirs.
2018 Thor Miramar 35.2
2015 F-350 CC short box 6.7l 3.55 axle
2015 Alpine 3510RE-sold

Glen,Nene
Mickey & Jayco (yorkies)

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 06:32:59 PM »
As was already mentioned. DirecTV DID NOT say they are discontinuing satellite TV. They did say that their primary focus would be streaming IF the technology is in place to make this viable for them. There is no need for anyone to change service or delay purchasing a satellite system. Chuck

Well, I must have missed that.  I suppose a "Whew" is in order.  Or something like that.  Thanks for the clarification.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

tanglemoose

• ---
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »

Streaming is going to be the primary method of content delivery long before 2020.  In my house it's already more than 50% of what we watch.  And when we're on the road it's more like 80% because I download full seasons of programs to take with us on $39 hard drives

Saw this wondered how you download onto a hard drive... thx...
Donna and Mark
and our Golden Lexie
New 2017 TT Keystone Cougar  Same model... but NEW Features!
2015 Keystone Cougar 1/2 Ton Series, 21rbswe, 26'
2013 Toyota Tundra
Living in Cold Montana Country.....

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 04:06:20 PM »

Streaming is going to be the primary method of content delivery long before 2020.  In my house it's already more than 50% of what we watch.  And when we're on the road it's more like 80% because I download full seasons of programs to take with us on $39 hard drives

Not sure how downloading and watching what you download equates to streaming. Chuck
Chuck and Susan

BigLarry

• ---
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 05:28:31 PM »
I know one thing, every time I go into our local Sam's club store, I have trouble getting past the young folks who are hawking Direct TV.  Also, I get an offer in the mail at least every week!!!  They're still pushing for subscribers pretty darned hard!
Larry and Betty
Bryan, Texas
2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
2016 Cougar 28RLS

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 05:43:15 PM »
Sure, might as well make every buck possible.......
Marty--

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 07:56:10 AM »
Just another reason I am so happy I went with Dish Network, rather than Direct TV!

Also with Dish I am able to change my local channels with a simple chat session with Dish.  Years ago we use DNS (Distant Network Service) where we only got NYC or LA.  I much prefer getting the local channels.  A lot of the time there are 1/2 hour segments about very interesting things in the local areas.  While I don't care much about the news of local car crashes, traffic reports, or who shot whom, I do like seeing easy to watch video of local activities.

Additionally we spend a lot of time out in the boonies, where the cell phone signal is weak or non existent, so getting streaming TV over the cell network, won't work.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 07:58:00 AM by AStravelers »
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 08:48:08 AM »
I think there is a misconception here. AT&T is not trying to eliminate Direct TV service at all. What they expect is that in the future they will deliver more canned video rather than broadcast tv, including shows of their own that are available only from AT&T-owned distribution channels.

Not sure how downloading and watching what you download equates to streaming.

You might think of it as "delayed streaming" rather than realtime.  Digital streaming from a storage device on your computer rather than from storage somewhere in "the cloud" using the internet. 
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 06:38:39 PM »
The other misconception is that it's AT&T/DIRECTV doing this to us.  In fact it's just the opposite.  Netflix, Hulu, Amazon have all cut deeply into 'the market'.  And those are just the big three!  There a dozens of others.  I, and millions like me, get most of my entertainment through streaming, and downloading.  The ONLY reason I still have DTV is because of the RV.

With Netflix setting up to stream live TV any day now the writing is on the wall.  If AT&T/DIRECTV doesn't become a leader in streaming soon they will go the way of Blockbuster. 

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 06:57:49 PM »
The other misconception is that it's AT&T/DIRECTV doing this to us.  In fact it's just the opposite.  Netflix, Hulu, Amazon have all cut deeply into 'the market'.  And those are just the big three!  There a dozens of others.  I, and millions like me, get most of my entertainment through streaming, and downloading.  The ONLY reason I still have DTV is because of the RV.

With Netflix setting up to stream live TV any day now the writing is on the wall.  If AT&T/DIRECTV doesn't become a leader in streaming soon they will go the way of Blockbuster.

If it were just that simple. But until the wireless carriers decide to offer true unlimited service, this isn't going to happen for a very long time. Those with high caps or unlimited service through their home DSL or whatever wired modem is provided can take advantage of Netflix, etc.  But a very large segment of the populations has data limits that make this less than practical for other than occasional viewing. Even DirecTV's offer for slimmed down streaming packages that will be offered this month, DirecTV Now, is only going to be good for portable devices like your cell phone or tablet. Any attempts to use it tethered to these devices for streaming will cost big time. So all this is NOT ready for prime time yet. And in the mean time, we will continue to use our satellite systems, over the air antennas and cable connections to get our programming. Yes you can push the mobile device to your TV, but how many will really want to go through the trouble and what happens when you're in an area where the signal is not strong enough or non-existent? My satellite system works everywhere. Certain technologies will take time despite what those that will try and sell us the latest and greatest want us to believe. Chuck
Chuck and Susan

tanglemoose

• ---
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 07:00:07 PM »
We have direct TV at home and take old huge sat. With us n our extra receiver to get tv in the rv. We have slow Internet at home as we live in the country. To stream anything would be a push... but how can I stream at kids house and store on what to take in rv? Have laptop, what else do I need. A newbie at this...
Donna and Mark
and our Golden Lexie
New 2017 TT Keystone Cougar  Same model... but NEW Features!
2015 Keystone Cougar 1/2 Ton Series, 21rbswe, 26'
2013 Toyota Tundra
Living in Cold Montana Country.....

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2016, 07:16:48 PM »
Millions of people already have such high caps that it is virtually unlimited.  Heard the term 'Cord cutters'?  That's what it's about.  In my highest usage months I have barely made a dent in my cap.  And I download several TV programs at a time and save them for later.  Later being when we're in the RV.

Streaming is a bad choice for mobile living.  That's going to be true for several more years.   But for now capturing the stream and saving it for later works for me.  It just takes a little geeky wizardry and time.  Mostly time.   ;)

chuckbear

• ---
    • Our Boating Blog
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2016, 10:16:48 AM »
Millions of people already have such high caps that it is virtually unlimited.  Heard the term 'Cord cutters'?  That's what it's about.  In my highest usage months I have barely made a dent in my cap.  And I download several TV programs at a time and save them for later.  Later being when we're in the RV.

Streaming is a bad choice for mobile living.  That's going to be true for several more years.   But for now capturing the stream and saving it for later works for me.  It just takes a little geeky wizardry and time.  Mostly time.   ;)

But not with a mobile device, which most of us use in our RV's, unless we pay more than the satellite service. That's the point. Millions of people using their mobile devices for internet AND streaming do not have virtually unlimited caps. Unless most of us are missing something. Chuck
Chuck and Susan

Hosted by Over The Network