Come See Yosemite, May 14-21, 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve N Dee

Steve & Dee and Jan & Olga are organizing a rally for our RV Forum Framily and friends to come explore the magnificence of Yosemite National Park.  Since it is nearly impossible to make reservations inside the park, especially for a group, we located an RV park about 20 miles from the north gate of the park.  There were not many parks to choose from to accommodate a group of our size.  Additionally, between Memorial Day and Labor Day, the park is extremely crowded.  We chose these dates because we will avoid some of the crowds and the waterfalls are generally gushing at this time of year.  Yosemite?s waterfalls are spectacular.  This the first time we are organizing a rally, so please be patient with us.  Here is the information:

Place: Yosemite Pines RV Resort  www.yosemitepinesrv.com
Address: 20450 Old Hwy 120, Groveland, CA 95321
Telephone: 209-962-7690
Email: [email protected]
Reservations to be made by phone.  Identify as a member of the RV Forum, booking in Section B for those dates.

Rate structure is complex as they charge different rates for Pull Thru versus Back In sites.  They also charge different rates for weekdays versus weekends.  They offer a 15% discount for a 7 day reservation or if you are an Escapees member.  Otherwise, they offer a 10% discount for AAA, Good Sam or Seniors.  A full week reservation in a Back-In site including the 15% discount is $ 286.45 and in a Pull Thru site it is $ 323.85 for the week.  If you do something different, your rate will be determined when you call.  Also, these are the rates in affect now.  Your rate is determined at the time your reservation is made.  If you choose to wait and they implement a rate increase over the winter, you will be charged the new rate in affect at the time you make your reservation.  Since their cancellation fee is only $ 10 up to one week prior to arrival, I would suggest booking early to get this year?s rate, although rate increases are generally nominal.

About the sites: All sites are 50 amp, full hook ups.  They offer free WiFi, although generally not suited for streaming.  There is weak cell service at the campground.  Verizon is best.  They have a booster at the office.  They do not guarantee satellite service because of the trees.  When I stayed there, I had no trouble getting satellite, but it?s hit and miss.
About the reservation process:  They prefer the reservations be made by phone so you can identify yourself as part of the RV Forum.  They take the first night?s fee as a deposit at the time of making the reservation.  They do not want to make site specific reservations, just by section (we are in section B).  There are both back in and pull thru sites in section B.  They have a somewhat limited number of sites to accommodate rigs over 40?.  Therefore, they want the ability to move people around so they don?t have 30 footers in a 45 foot site.  They will accommodate requests to be next to someone specific in our group if you make that request at the time of booking.  They will lock your reservations together.  The campground map is on their website, but here is a link to it https://yosemitepinesrv.com/pdfs/map_resort.pdf  The upper left-hand lavender colored sites on the map is section B.  There is a large red B on the map.  The lavender color indicates full hook up 50 amp sites.

About the area:  The campground is located about 1 mile off CA SR 120, on Old Hwy 120.  About 2 miles past the town of Groveland, turn right on Old Hwy 120.  The small town of Groveland has stores, shopping, restaurants, fuel stations, car wash, etc.  There is a shuttle service (for a fee) that runs from the campground to all areas of the park.  Therefore, those not wanting to bring a tow vehicle can still enjoy the park.  There are also cabins on premises if someone wanted to come without an RV. There is a very small store and a deli on the premises.  I have not tried either, but they are there.  They can accept mail for those of you who may want to have mail sent to you.

Getting there: CA SR 120 can only be accessed from the west heading east.  Trying to travel from east to west on Hwy 120 is not accessible to RV?s.  I would suggest using an RV friendly navigation system, or ask the park for recommended directions.  There is a significant 5 mile grade just before the town of Groveland.  It is a new road that was made to be gentler and to accommodate trucks and RV?s.  The old road, called ?Old Priest Grade? still exists.  Regular navigation systems tell you to take that road, but it is clearly marked that vehicles over 7,500 lbs are not allowed on that road.  Otherwise, all roads are good highways and the high roads to the upper areas should just be opening at the time we are there.  They generally open in early May.  If we have a late, significant winter, some roads to parts of the park could still be closed, but that never seems to happen in California anymore.

I will attempt to keep up with an attendees list.  Once you have made a reservation, please let me know by replying on this page.  Since we won?t have site numbers, we will post your name, RV Forum handle, and your hometown.  If you don?t want this information displayed on the attendees list, please let me know.  We look forward to seeing you in Yosemite!

Yeahhhh Steve,

Brewers plan to attend.  Mark down Betty and Terry. We are registered and confirmed for the week.

Steve & Dee,

We plan on attending. We'll call for reservations tomorrow and confirm here. We are confirmed.

Great idea for a rally. We haven't been to Yosemite since the 80's when we lived in Vermont.

btw, I checked the Caltrans map for 45 ft Bus/Motorhome and RT 120 is OK for rigs over 40 ft coming from the west.

ken & sheila

Ken & Sheila said:
btw, I checked the Caltrans map for 45 ft Bus/Motorhome and RT 120 is OK for rigs over 40 ft.

ken & sheila

Ken:
  I was specifically referring to westbound CA SR 120 off of US 395.  The route known as Tioga Pass.  I did not think rigs over 40ft were advised?  I personally would still not recommend that route.  JM2C.  So glad you are coming.

Steve

I went over Tioga Pass a few weeks ago, west to east.  I also would not recommend taking a large rig over this route.  The grade from US 395 to the summit is about 8 miles long and is very steep and twisty.  Going down it in a 27 ft. motorhome I was in first gear and riding the brakes to keep the engine RPMs below redline, and actually had the transmission shift out of low gear once to protect the engine.  Not fun.

Going westbound it would be a very long, steep uphill climb.

Steve N Dee said:
Ken:
  I was specifically referring to westbound CA SR 120 off of US 395.  The route known as Tioga Pass.  I did not think rigs over 40ft were advised?  I personally would still not recommend that route.  JM2C.  So glad you are coming.

Steve

I should have been clear and said RT 120 from the west towards Groveland is OK for Motorhomes over 40 ft. I only posted this because Caltrans restricts over 40 ft motorhomes from some routes. I aiways check the Caltrans map when I'm driving in California off the Interstates.

RT 120 coming from the east through the park is noted on Caltrans that you should check with the park. I agree that is not a route I would take.

I clarified the original post.

ken

We have never been to Yosemite so this sounds like great fun. Kevin and Pam will be there. I just made the reservation.

Any good suggestions for interesting places to stop on the way from Salt Lake City? Been to St. George, Death Valley, and Joshua Tree. Not interested in Vegas. We could take the week either before or after the forum.

We just arrived in Manila and the first thing I did was call and get our reservation, Amy suggested a pull thru due to the length of our "Tiny House".  See you in the spring.

Sheila 

UTTransplant said:
Any good suggestions for interesting places to stop on the way from Salt Lake City? Been to St. George, Death Valley, and Joshua Tree. Not interested in Vegas. We could take the week either before or after the forum.

Kevin and Pam, glad you can make it.  Yosemite is a pretty spectacular place, especially for people who have never been there.  As for what to do on the way, Lake Tahoe is a beautiful area if you haven't been there.  Also, the small town of Truckee, California is a nice stop.  The Museum of the Donner Party is located there.  If that interests you, those are a couple of places you could visit on the way.

Look forward to seeing you in Yosemite.

Steve

I just made a reservation.  Corinne and I will see you next Spring.  This should be a great event!!

Welcome Jim & Jo Moloci, glad to have you aboard.  Look forward to seeing you in Yosemite.

Steve

Here is our first list of attendees so far (in alphabetical order)

YOSEMITE ATTENDEE LIST

LAST NAME              FIRST            SPOUSE/PARTNER              RV FORUM HANDLE                    HOME

Brewer                      Terry                    Betty                                Betty Brewer                      Arizona/Idaho

Falchini                      Steve                  Dee                                  Steve N Dee                      California

Kuch                          Ken                    Sheila                              Ken & Sheila                  Arizona/South Dakota

Moloci                        Jim                      Jo                                    Jomo                                  Michigan

Roscoe                      Bill                      Corinne                            Photog                                California

Stalnaker                  Kevin                    Pam                                UTTransplant                        Utah

Stiskala                      Jan                      Olga                                Jan Stiskala                        Australia

Shaping up to be a great group.

Thank You Steve and Dee to take care of organising this event. Also thank you to mention my name as organiser, (that is nice of you since I am doing nothing.). I just mentioned Yosemite to you and here we go. I love this park and this will be my second visit.
Your giant trees are so exotic to us coming from Australia. Olga and I is looking forward to see you all my friends. Such a beautiful country you have. We love USA travels. And also your elections will be over then and you all will be friends again. Politics some times divide nation, and this time you all running hot.
I can't wait to taste great fresh peaches from farms under Yosemite.
See you all soon, Jan and Olga.

Only 4 months to go.
I am really keen to visit all the great places in North California and Oregon after this rally finish. If anybody would like to join us after this Rally or met us here and there for good time please let us know.

Gonna pencil this in on our trip calendar for next year which is still in the planning stage.

We're going to Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Nevada and Arizona but haven't picked a departure date nor a route yet.

This sounds like a fun get together even though I've been to Yosemite about 30 times.

Two things are near the top of our RVing list:  Visiting Yosemite and attending an RV Forum rally.  Our youngest graduates HS right around that time this year, however, so we will have to put this one off.  Feel free to do it again in a year or two and count us in!  ;D

You have no idea how badly we want to attend this event.  However we will be doing medical stuff in Oklahoma City.
Lots of good friends on the attendees list.  We do hope to catch up to everyone sometime this summer.  Be sure and
post a lot of pics to really make us miss you guys. . . .  HA HA

Enjoy.

Loretta & Larry 'aka Team LoLa'

I just don't know if this rally will be same with out Big Texan and Loretta.
My best wishes for you guys are to get good results and get your health under control.
Hope to catch up with you later in the season.

We have made a reservation this morning, it is now only 100 sleeps until we leave Australia on our way to USA again! 8)
Looking forward to meeting old friends and new.
Our last visit to Yosemite in 2015 was shrouded in bush fire smoke, so hopefully we will actually be able to see it this time! ;D

Allen and Suzanne

Back
Top Bottom