EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Come See Yosemite, May 14-21, 2017  (Read 14923 times)

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Come See Yosemite, May 14-21, 2017
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 04:52:18 PM »
The west coast is still experiencing torrential rains and the snowpack is extremely heavy.  You all should experience the falls in Yosemite at their very, very most spectacular.  The Merced River will be roaring as well.
Just don't go swimming in it. It will be cold and fast. :o
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2017, 05:04:20 PM »
looks like we are going for the treat Tom and Margi.

Don and Mary Ann I am looking for great time with you two as always. It is so nice to see old friends this year again. Yey.
Australian travelling US in  ACE 29.2
http://www.aussiepythons.com/

Steve N Dee

• ---
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2017, 04:02:25 PM »
Despite an earlier post indicating that we would not be able to make this rally, Mary Ann called today and made reservations for us from May 12 to May 19. Just couldn't stay away!

We need to leave on the 19th in order to be in West Yellowstone on May 21 so we can start work at the Grizzly RV park on the 22nd.

Look forward to seeing you all and joining in on the fun!

Don and Mary Ann

So glad you will be joining us, Don & Mary Ann.  I'll add your name to our list.  I was so disappointed we didn't see you at Grizzly last spring, but we can catch up in Yosemite.  Glad to have you on board.

Steve
Steve & Dee - Racing towards retirement
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
2005 Winnebago Journey 34H Diesel Pusher
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD Toad
Burbank, CA

On time.....is when we get there

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2017, 05:19:21 PM »
Just don't go swimming in it. It will be cold and fast. :o

Seiler is absolutely right.  This is a very swift, cold, dangerous river in a normal spring.  Could be deadly this spring.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2017, 05:26:03 PM »
We are planning on bringing our canoe, but not for the river! There are some nice reservoirs and lakes not too far away, or so friends tell me. We will just have to hope the water is warm enough to safely paddle in. We will probably spend another couple of weeks in the area before heading back to Utah, so we have time.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

BoomerD

• ---
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 11:43:08 PM »
We kicked it around, but the timing just doesn't work for us. We have to be about 100 miles away from Yosemite the first of June when our oldest grandson graduates high school...but because of other things in life, we can't hang around for 2 weeks after the rally.
Sorry, folks...maybe another time.
Current coach: 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2017, 05:35:51 PM »
Not that long to go. Olga and me have flight from Sydney booked. We are looking forward to see our old and new friends from forum. I am packing full suitcase of wine from Australia, just to make sure that we have the right stuff for happy hours.

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2017, 01:13:17 PM »
Not that long to go. Olga and me have flight from Sydney booked. We are looking forward to see our old and new friends from forum. I am packing full suitcase of wine from Australia, just to make sure that we have the right stuff for happy hours.

Jan, Chrystal and I are going to miss seeing you and Olga this year.  We hope you have a safe trip and enjoy your travels this year.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty Baroness
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
FMCA# F315002

Jan Stiskala

• ---
  • Love to travel USA
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2017, 10:23:10 PM »
Jan, Chrystal and I are going to miss seeing you and Olga this year.  We hope you have a safe trip and enjoy your travels this year.

Mike.

Maybe we can have some mini rally close to your place Mike.

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2017, 08:06:29 AM »
Maybe we can have some mini rally close to your place Mike.

Sounds like a plan Jan.  We hope to have our shop done by June and we get our coach back from paint sometime in June and we will be able to travel again so we will have to plan a mini-rally sometime after that.

Safe travels my friend.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty Baroness
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
FMCA# F315002

Steve N Dee

• ---
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 09:48:19 PM »
Here is the latest update on our attendees list.  We will miss those who cannot make it.

YOSEMITE ATTENDEE LIST

LAST NAME               FIRST             SPOUSE/PARTNER               RV FORUM HANDLE                    HOME

Brewer                      Terry                    Betty                                Betty Brewer                      Arizona/Idaho

Falchini                      Steve                   Dee                                  Steve N Dee                       California

Flexitdriver                Allen                   Suzanne                             Flexitdriver                         Australia

Kuch                          Ken                     Sheila                               Ken & Sheila                  Arizona/South Dakota

Moloci                        Jim                       Jo                                        Jomo                                Michigan

Nesbitt                      Don                     Mary Ann                          gmsboss1                       North Carolina

Roscoe                       Bill                       Corinne                             Photog                              California

Stalnaker                   Kevin                    Pam                                 UTTransplant                         Utah

Stiskala                      Jan                      Olga                                 Jan Stiskala                         Australia

Less than 2 months now and our CA winter has been incredible, which will translate into a spectacular experience in Yosemite!
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
Burbank, CA

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Home is where you make it.
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 06:34:07 AM »
I have 2 sons who are working at Yosemite.  One for the NPS, one for the concessionaire.  I've been getting some beautiful snow and waterfall pictures on my Facebook feed this winter.  Ya'll have fun, I'll be at the Grand Canyon.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Steve N Dee

• ---
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2017, 11:17:53 PM »
ATTENTION ALL ATTENDEES

I have become aware that there has been a road collapse on Big Oak Flat Road leading from our RV park into Yosemite Valley.  There is no estimate on when the road might be open, but it doesn't seem promising.  As a result, I have located an alternate RV park to move our rally to.  It is located near CA SR 41, which is the south entrance to the park.  It will be about a 30 minute drive to the south gate and then another 30 minutes into Yosemite Valley.  I have spoken to a client who lives near the park and she says it's a nice park.  They do have at least nine sites available with full hook ups at a weekly rate of approximately $ 40.00 per night.  I have not made any firm arrangements with them because I wanted to be sure we would all be willing to make the move.  The park is about 75 miles south of the previous park, so it's not a great distance different either way. If I can get a positive response from all or most of you, I will make arrangements with them and post the new contact info here.  Please reply a.s.a.p.

Thanks,

Steve
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:19:40 PM by Steve N Dee »
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
Burbank, CA

gmsboss1

• ---
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 08:06:19 AM »
Thanks for all your efforts on this.  Go for it!
Don and Mary Ann (Pelicanlady) Nesbitt
Cary, NC
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40X
2012 Jeep GC Overland 4x4 Hemi Toad
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away!

Photog

• ---
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2017, 09:44:45 AM »
Steve - we are in.  Let us know which park.
Bill
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2017, 09:56:50 AM »
We will follow you, no matter where you may go!  Brewer's are in!

Edit.... I just read RV Park Review for the suggested move and for our "Queen Mary"  the  branches and  tight turns don't look so good.

So no firm decision  yet from us .
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:28:55 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2017, 11:11:01 AM »
We are willing to move if we have to. Looking at AllStays, one park towards the south has poor reviews and the other has good reviews. Hope we get the good one!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:03:28 PM by UTTransplant »
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel

flexitdriver

• ---
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2017, 11:05:21 PM »
We are happy to go wherever. :) It's the friends that make a rally, not the RV park?
Only 27 more sleeps 'til we depart from Australia. ;D
Allen
If you are not lost, you're not having fun!

In USA:
2008 Majestic Class C on Ford E450 Chassis
And 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 'Toad'

In Australia:
Outback Class A 'Flinders' Motorhome on Isuzu NPR400 chassis and Suzuki Grand Vitara 'Toad'

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2017, 12:55:08 PM »
Steve and Dee: When will you know about moving or canceling? We have already made some fee reservations before the trip we can't get back completely, and we were going to make more for after. Things are filling up though, and we need to know timing. I know this whole thing isn't your fault, but maybe we should just move the rally to next year.
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel

dblocker

• ---
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2017, 09:33:51 PM »
Steve N Dee

Have been eavesdropping on your thread and I have a question.  We have planned to stay in a
Thousand Trails park in mid July about 15 miles west of where you were going to stay.  Can you tell me where I
might get more info on the road collapse you spoke of.  We are about two months later so it may be repaired.  By the way we will be at Grizzly in West Yellowstone May 26.  Will try to look you up.

Dee

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2017, 10:06:07 PM »
Steve N Dee

Have been eavesdropping on your thread and I have a question.  We have planned to stay in a
Thousand Trails park in mid July about 15 miles west of where you were going to stay.  Can you tell me where I
might get more info on the road collapse you spoke of.  We are about two months later so it may be repaired.  By the way we will be at Grizzly in West Yellowstone May 26.  Will try to look you up.

Dee

See HERE
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2017, 10:11:26 PM »
More info Here

Steve N Dee

• ---
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2017, 01:36:50 AM »
Steve and Dee: When will you know about moving or canceling? We have already made some fee reservations before the trip we can't get back completely, and we were going to make more for after. Things are filling up though, and we need to know timing. I know this whole thing isn't your fault, but maybe we should just move the rally to next year.

I spoke to someone at Yosemite today whose response was "I can't imagine the road not being open by then".  But of course, that's just an opinion at this point.  Our current reservation can be cancelled up to 7 days before for only a $10 fee.  Even if we move the rally to another park, that park wouldn't be more than 75 miles from our current park.  Therefore, I wouldn't expect it should change any of your before or after plans.  I did find a park with sites available but it doesn't have great reviews.  I am actually sending someone to that new park to check it out and report to me with pictures.  To top it off, I am a tax accountant and the time of year is making it extremely difficult for me to deal with this. As a last resort, we can always stay at our current park and just make a long drive in to the park by a different entrance.  It's about a 2 hour detour.  Long, but not impossible.  Trying to keep all options open at this point.  Hope this helps with your planning.

Steve
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
Burbank, CA

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2017, 10:27:48 AM »
Steve, I looked at pictures of the slide. While they have to clear the road and fix damage to the road surface, its not the Rt 89 to Page in Arizona where the road base was destroyed and took a long time to first engineer and then construct. From what I've found they are currently working on adding drainage converts.
I don't think we will have a problem with staying at Yosemite Pines.

ken
Ken & Sheila

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2017, 01:12:59 PM »
Thanks for the info. We won't make any changes now, but if the road isn't open by 7 days ahead, we will cancel. I don't quite understand whether the "2 hour detour" is one way or round trip, but it is more than we are willing to deal with. If we cancel, we won't be coming to California at all which is why this is a bigger deal for us than it is for you (1700 mile round trip). We might have to end up in Yellowstone instead (such a sacrifice!).

If anyone does Facebook, there is a group called "Yosemite Incident Feed" with pictures and news about the problem. It has frequent updates. You have to join the group to see everything, but it doesn't require moderator approval.
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel

Steve N Dee

• ---
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2017, 01:42:33 PM »
Here is the latest update.  I think our patience will pay off.  The Yosemite incident report has not given an estimated opening date yet for the road closure, however, they have said that 2 to 3 weeks seems likely.  That will suit us just fine as we have 5 weeks from today before our rally begins.  That's plenty of time with a lot of cushion for unexpected delays.  A big thank you to Ken and Betty for the updates during my busy time, I truly appreciate it! Looking forward to seeing all of you next month.  I am sure there are probably still sites available for anyone interested in climbing on board!

Steve
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
Burbank, CA

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2017, 03:44:40 PM »

Sorry posted deleted as it was bad info.
ken
 But I read the blog and it sounds like good progress.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 03:54:15 PM by Ken & Sheila »
Ken & Sheila

jsetti

• ---
  • Tranquility On the Move IV
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2017, 09:29:32 AM »
We are currently in Yosemite and will be here for the entire summer as we are volunteering with the Law Enforcement and Search and Rescue groups.

It looks like 120 will be open by the time your group arrives but ... no guarantee.  Also be aware there are a lot of construction projects going on right now that has caused detours throughout the park causing traffic delays.  They anticipate these projects might not be competed before Memorial Day.  So ... patience will be needed as getting around may be slow but definitely worth the wait.  Here's a link to the road work being done.  https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/roadwork.htm

We had more snow two days ago causing frazil ice (a sight to see!) in the streams below the waterfalls which are spectacular now and are only going to be better when you all arrive as all that snow melts.

Will keep track of your plans.  You're going to have a great time! 
Jean Corsetti
Full-Timer with DH Steve and
Fur Babies Annie & Max
2010 Monaco Diplomat 42SKQ

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2017, 09:11:26 PM »
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel

jsetti

• ---
  • Tranquility On the Move IV
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2017, 09:20:09 AM »
We have had a lot of rain over the past couple of weeks which is inhibiting the progress.  Obviously they would like to open this road ASAP and are working as fast as they can.  Keep checking for updates.  If I hear anything specific about an opening date estimate I will post it here.
Jean Corsetti
Full-Timer with DH Steve and
Fur Babies Annie & Max
2010 Monaco Diplomat 42SKQ

Hosted by Over The Network